Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > The Crown - Netflix

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 10-27-16, 11:45 AM   #1
nsguy
Cons the Conman

The Crown - Netflix

PREMIERES NOVEMBER 4, 2016

Spoiler: Premise
The Crown will trace the life of Queen Elizabeth II from her wedding in 1947 to the present day. It is expected to span 60 episodes over 6 seasons, with Claire Foy playing the Queen in the early part of her reign.Source

Spoiler: Cast
Claire Foy as Queen Elizabeth II
Matt Smith as Prince Philip
Jared Harris as King George VI
Vanessa Kirby as Princess Margaret
John Lithgow as Winston Churchill
Greg Wise as Lord Louis MountbattenSource

Spoiler: Trailer

Last edited by Mr. Bill; 12-08-17 at 08:43 PM.
nsguy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-16, 11:49 AM   #2
nsguy
Cons the Conman

Re: The Crown - Netflix

Looking forward to this, this looks like one of those rare shows that I can watch with my wife and we can both enjoy.

LTV's resident historian and favourite teacher Vonnegut provided the following historical background for England leading up to QEII's reign:

More:
If the history of the world from 1500-1900 was a comic book, then England would be the British-accent villian who says "mwahahaha" a lot. It's like how with Norse Mythology you can blame Loki for everything-- in World History you can basically blame England for everything.

Around 1500, Europe was having all kinds of massive shifts because they were recovering from the plague that wiped out 75% of the people. For the 75% who died, the plague really sucked, but for the 25% who lived, it was like every happy post-apocalypse novel you've ever read. Picture if our country suddenly was reduced by 3/4. How's that unemployment rate doing? E'ERYBODY GOT JOBS. Resource shortage? E'ERYBODY GOT RESOURCES. Not to mention that all of the theocracy tends to lose its punch when people are looking at a world that just got way more than decimated, and get all "yeah, but Where Is Your God Now?"
Thus, the Renaissance. People figure all that Dark Age shit wasn't really viable, and can point to the Black Plague as a reason why (not that the Black Plague had anything to do with feudal systems, but it's perception that counts). So now we're ending centuries of serfs and knights and King Arthur and leeches, and recognizing that it's a big ol' world out there with all kinds of fun shit that Europe has forgotten or never heard about. Lots of shit filtering in from Asia and the Middle East. Shit like navigation and gun powder and math and medicine and physics and paintings that don't suck. Europe finally gets wind of this big ol' world out there, and promptly declares "Yeah, I'll take that."

So, once Europe makes this declaration and starts taking shit, why does England wind up as the Comic Supervillains?
History doesn't know. Or, more precisely, doesn't agree. England had a lot going for it-- its isolated location as an island helped, its coal resources came in handy, its embrace of protestantism and thus scientific advancement vs catholicism, etc., etc., etc.
Whatever the mix of magic ingredients, England came out of the Dark Ages with a tremendous bang, full of coal-burning and philosophy and ships with guns.
The Spanish, the Portugeuse, the French, the Dutch, they all were not idle in this time and also had their share of coal-burnng and philosophy and ships with guns.
But through luck, inevitability, ruthlessness, or magic, England hit all of the right pressure points. They took India and all of its delicious opium. They used the opium to take China and all of its delicious tea. They used the tea to take the upper part of the Western Hemisphere until the colonies got really pissy. "The Sun Never Set On The British Empire." The meaning of that saying is, British possessions spanned the globe enough so that always, somewhere in the world, it was daytime on a British possession. They were heavily in North America, heavily in Asia, with fingerholds in South Africa and South America, and all of Australia.

(pausing here because I'm tired, next installation would be how their colonial dominance contributed to WWI, and how their victory in WWI led to their position in WWII, and how their serious ass-kicking in WWII led to the sun setting on the British Empire, right around the time that QEII became the ineffectual monarch).

I don't know what is really wanted here. I could go some more into why the monarchy became a sideshow with the Magna Carta and all that, or go into the history of the "Windsors," and could also pull in Maturin to rant about RIII.
Old 10-28-16, 12:31 AM   #3
nsguy
Cons the Conman

Anyone else think John Lithgow is a strange choice to play Winston Churchill? I think he's a great actor, but he just doesn't seem right for the part. Maybe I'm not used to seeing Americans play British roles, although Brits play Americans all the time.

Thoughts?

Spoiler: Size
Old 11-04-16, 12:30 AM   #4
nsguy
Cons the Conman

Just a reminder this is being released tomorrow. It's being referred to as a cross between Downton Abbey and House of Cards.

Apparently it's already been renewed for a second season.

Here's an article with some more background on the show.
Old 11-05-16, 01:34 AM   #5
nsguy
Cons the Conman

Watched the first two episodes of this and am very impressed. I'd heard that it's Netflix's most expensive production to date and it shows. The series is filmed beautifully.

I was completely wrong about John Lithgow, he's great as Churchill.

Highly recommend this series!

Spoiler: Episode 2 Spoilers
I liked the first episode, I loved the second episode. From the beauty and happiness Elizabeth experienced in Kenya to the loss of her father and the weight of her new responsibilities - good stuff.
Old 11-27-16, 10:33 PM   #6
nsguy
Cons the Conman

I finished this over the weekend. It was very well done.

As far as I can tell, the series accurately portrays events that impacted the Queen and those around her (including her aides, her sister, her parents, her husband and the Prime Ministers). I suspect the behind the scenes stuff is based on speculation and perhaps overly dramatizes some things, but I think the actual historical events shown are correct.

Season 1 runs from the time of her wedding (1947) to just after Churchill resigned (1955). Season 2 is currently being filmed and is tentatively expected to be released in November 2017, I think it is supposed to show events from 1955 to around 1963. The Plan is for the series to run 6 seasons and finish in current day.

If you are interested in the Royal Family or even that period of history, I highly recommend it. The acting is very good, in particular - John Lithgow and Claire Foy and scenary/production values are excellent.
Old 11-28-16, 09:58 PM   #7
vincentstuntdbl#23
stuntdog
Escapes the Cage

Watched the pilot. Didn't really get into it. Might give it one more episode.

Last edited by vincentstuntdbl#23; 11-29-16 at 03:11 AM.
vincentstuntdbl#23 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-16, 11:50 PM   #8
Lawboy
Widmore Corp. Hatchet Man
Sees Walt

I am 6 epis in, and really enjoy it. It really starts to improve around epi 3. 3-6 were really enjoyable. It is a Sunday watch for me. So I'll watch 2 more next Sunday. But I like it. Slick production, well cast, and solid TV.

Give Life, Be an Organ Donor.
http://www.pkdcure.org http://kidney.org

Lawboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-16, 06:18 PM   #10
Maturin
Loyaulté me lie
Hears the Whispers

I refused to watch this at first because these people are usurper spawn, but my fam made me and it is an excellent production. We're only up to E returning to England after King George's death.

The actor who plays King George is the son of Richard Harris, who played King Arthur in the movie Camelot and was the original Dumbledore in the Harry Potter movies.

George VI is one of the few admirable people in that heinous family line. He worked through a lot of health and anxiety struggles from childhood on. He never wanted to be king but helped hold his country together against terrible odds. He was a York through and through. His older brother was a smooth, handsome rat bastard, a total Tudor who hobnobbed with Hitler. My one beef with the show is that so far he's being portrayed somewhat sympathetically.

I hope we get to see more of Dr. Prince Philip Who's rear end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Whatever the mix of magic ingredients, England came out of the Dark Ages with a tremendous bang, full of coal-burning and philosophy and ships with guns.
This is a link to an interesting piece on how Elizabeth I allied with the Islamic world, which was much more sophisticated than Europe at that point, as vonne noted. Maybe that alliance contributed to England's big bang?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2...jerry-brotton/

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
I could ... also pull in Maturin to rant about RIII.
I do not rant about RIII. I occasionally allude to the truth of his greatness.

--> Jopt dis pit Tudel. <--
Maturin is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »