Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > Preacher - AMC Monday

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 05-26-16, 08:54 PM   #21
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Re: Preacher - AMC Sundays

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonian androphile View Post
...Earthly then seems likeliest for this strange duo. Their change of attire is to help them fit in where they go? And what did they do prior to day one of this particular phenomenon? ...
Reading this portion of your post made me think of the Men In Black franchise.
Old 05-27-16, 05:30 PM   #22
Liz
Ridiculicious!
Hears the Whispers

Send a message via AIM to Liz Send a message via MSN to Liz Send a message via Yahoo to Liz Send a message via Skype™ to Liz

Okay, so we finally got to watch. We watched most of it a couple of nights ago, but we were both sort of struggling to stay awake during the second half, so we watched last night again while we were less tired, lol. It was mostly a second watch and since we were confused by some things the first time we watched carefully the second time.

The way that I interpret the airplane scene is that the people on the plane were vampire hunters. Cassidy is in hiding as a party card dealer, laying low, so he figures he's just working. He uses the bathroom, and finds the bible. He looks really surprised so I don't think that he was looking for it or anything. After looking at all of the crazy writing in it he is now hip to who they are. He comes out playing it off, and notices that they are heading West, toward the sun (I assume so that daylight comes sooner?), and mentions it and all of the other people have a look like, "crap, he's on to us". Then he kills them all, but they just happen to have all of these crazy weapons in arms reach (an axe, spear, etc.), most likely because they were planning on killing him when he was weak from the sunlight. The thing that tipped me off to this was that he asked one of them something like, "So how did you find me, then?" showing that they had been the ones to initiate everything.

Oh, and Cassidy "playing with fire" was actually his hand spontaneously combusting because of contact with the sunlight streaming along the edge of the house he was sitting by. My guess is that this is supposed to clue us in that he is a vampire, along with some other comments he makes about things being too light or whatever.

With the scene with his dad I am pretty sure that somebody else shot him. It will be interesting to see what the deal is with all of that and with the preacher in general. Was his destiny known back when he was a kid? His dad stressed that he had to be one of the good guys because of what would come to him later (or something like that).

I really love the style of it all, as others have said it's very Kill Bill like with maybe some Sin City thrown in and even some elements remind me of Shoot Em Up. The fighting scenes are really great and I love the humor thrown in. The writing of the dialogue and the acting are also really good IMO, and that makes what could come across as corny really awesome instead.

I also really love Tulip. She is just too cool for school.

Last edited by Liz; 05-27-16 at 05:36 PM.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-16, 06:02 PM   #23
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

First off, Glad you guys finally got a chance to view the Premiere. It's truly an amazing beginning to hopefully and amazing series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Found in the Land of Lost View Post
...The way that I interpret the airplane scene is that the people on the plane were vampire hunters. Cassidy is in hiding as a party card dealer, laying low, so he figures he's just working. He uses the bathroom, and finds the bible. He looks really surprised so I don't think that he was looking for it or anything. After looking at all of the crazy writing in it he is now hip to who they are. He comes out playing it off, and notices that they are heading West, toward the sun (I assume so that daylight comes sooner?), and mentions it and all of the other people have a look like, "crap, he's on to us". Then he kills them all, but they just happen to have all of these crazy weapons in arms reach (an axe, spear, etc.), most likely because they were planning on killing him when he was weak from the sunlight. The thing that tipped me off to this was that he asked one of them something like, "So how did you find me, then?" showing that they had been the ones to initiate everything...
That whole scene on the plane was hard to grasp the direction it was going. This helps in dissecting Cassidy's dialect, and answers a lot of questions. , FitLoL!

Quote:
...Oh, and Cassidy "playing with fire" was actually his hand spontaneously combusting because of contact with the sunlight streaming along the edge of the house he was sitting by. My guess is that this is supposed to clue us in that he is a vampire, along with some other comments he makes about things being too light or whatever...
Okay! That definitely explains that scene. I'm not the biggest Vampire fan, but I do know they can burst into flames when they come in contact with daylight.

Quote:
...With the scene with his dad I am pretty sure that somebody else shot him. It will be interesting to see what the deal is with all of that and with the preacher in general. Was his destiny known back when he was a kid? His dad stressed that he had to be one of the good guys because of what would come to him later (or something like that)...
So you think whatever is possessing him, was meant to be? Which begs the question, how would the father know this about the son?

But, I'm pretty sure you're right about someone else did the deed. That asks another question, why was he killed? And, why did they want the son to see the father die?

Quote:
...I really love the style of it all, as others have said it's very Kill Bill like with maybe some Sin City thrown in and even some elements remind me of Shoot Em Up. The fighting scenes are really great and I love the humor thrown in. The writing of the dialogue and the acting are also really good IMO, and that makes what could come across as corny really awesome instead...
I like the comparison to Sin City. The Preacher comic, I've heard, plays more like a graphic novel anyway. I'm going to see if I can find one next week.

Quote:
...I also really love Tulip. She is just too cool for school.
FitLoL, you could see the fear on his face when he realized Tulip was in town. Funny way he noticed it too. He saw that gun.
Old 05-27-16, 09:10 PM   #24
boonian androphile
poet laureate
Hears the Whispers

FITLOL:

I think you have covered the vampire angles successfully. It makes sense that the party people are specifically vampire hunters---including the number of them that were needed to combat Cassidy. And the flames of course. I wasn't paying attention there. Maybe it was because he was too quiet. A radical transformation. Meanwhile does the consumption of cow indicate that Cassidy is an other-than-human-ivore? Cattle ranchers might complain.

Old 05-27-16, 10:04 PM   #25
Liz
Ridiculicious!
Hears the Whispers

Send a message via AIM to Liz Send a message via MSN to Liz Send a message via Yahoo to Liz Send a message via Skype™ to Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonian androphile View Post
FITLOL:

I think you have covered the vampire angles successfully. It makes sense that the party people are specifically vampire hunters---including the number of them that were needed to combat Cassidy. And the flames of course. I wasn't paying attention there. Maybe it was because he was too quiet. A radical transformation. Meanwhile does the consumption of cow indicate that Cassidy is an other-than-human-ivore? Cattle ranchers might complain.

Well, I think that most vampire lore says that they can live on the blood of other animals (think rats in Interview with the Vampire) but that to truly be fully satisfied or rejuvenated they need/desire human blood.
Old 05-31-16, 10:51 PM   #26
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

I couldn't pass up the chance to watch it again. Its actually better the second time around. Plus, I got a chance to watch the "after show", Talking Preacher.

FitLoL, you were right in all of your assumptions. From, what was happening on that plane with Cassidy and his fellow travelers, and the playing with fire.

From the after show, we got what TPTB call the "thing" that came down to earth. The "Entity"!

Not sure why, but in the second look, I picked up on the feelings Emily has for Jessie. She truly likes the guy. That's why she's helping out playing the organ. Curious whether she knows the background between Jessie and Tulip?

I can't wait for the next episode!
Old 06-03-16, 07:24 PM   #27
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post

I'd forgotten about that Bible.

It looked like there was writing on every page of it. I couldn't make out to much it said, it went by so fast. Maybe I'll twist Sandi's arm and get her to watch, and she'll provide us with screencaps. Oh Sandi!
I'm watching.

Bible screencaps
More:

Formerly known as clayseason1
sandi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-16, 05:56 PM   #28
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Sandi for those caps of the Bible Cassidy found on the plane.

Oh, and I'm glad you're watching. Can't wait for you to chime in.
Old 06-04-16, 06:32 PM   #29
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

S01E02 - "See"
Sunday - June 5, 2016
AMC - 9/8c

Spoiler: Promo & Episode Description

Jesse tries to be a "good preacher," unaware that a mysterious duo is after him. Meanwhile, the enigmatic Cowboy is introduced. Source
Hodgepodge is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-16, 12:00 AM   #30
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Episode #2, See, wasn't as captivating as the Pilot, but they usually aren't. But, that's not to say this wasn't a fine episode. I truly liked it. It also drove the series arc further.

I'm totally confused regarding the scenes in 1818.

We have the little sick girl and her mother. We have the "Cowboy" who was sent off, I assume, to get the girl some medicine. There's a note passed between the mother and the "Cowboy", I'd sure like a screencap of that note? Oh Sandi!

We have the boy running up to the "Cowboys", to ask if he'd like to join his family for dinner. I really got a "Shane" vibe from the whole scene. The, when he's asked whether this is a beautiful country, he says it isn't.

Then we see a scene of Indians, hung and bloodied in a tree. Looked like one had been scalped. No idea what that meant, if it wasn't an homage to how Indians were treated in this country.

Was there a correlation between the sick little girl and the young girl in the coma we saw later in the episode?

Rev. Jessie has started to take his new found ordination to heart. The baptism scene was hilarious, especially when Arseface was baptized. I have to admit, I love the way TPTB have inserted a caption for Eugene's dialogue throughout the episode. It just cracks me up.

We also got some background on why Eugene looks the way he does. It seems, he tried to commit suicide and failed. Now, how in the World does someone put a gun in his mouth, pulls the trigger, and ends up like that, is beyond me, but according to Cassidy, he looks like an Arseface.

Then Tulip asks to be baptized. "Well, at least you got me wet." There's a lot of sexual tension between the two of them, that didn't go unnoticed by Emily. "Whose that?"

Speaking of Emily, there's nothing she won't do to be in the company of Rev. Jessie. That includes, standing in front of a store passing out "flyers" asking for suggestions to make the church better. That didn't go unnoticed by Tulip either.

Speaking of Tulip, she kidnaps Jessie in an attempt to get him involved in her scheme. It's obvious, whatever she wants to get him involved in is illegal, but I don't think we know exactly what it is. Prior to her kidnapping, she also steals the steering wheel from his truck.

OMG! One of Jessie's parishioners confesses he's got feelings for one of the girls he takes to school. I assume, this girls is 8 or 9 years old. Jessie, reluctantly tells the guy, he can't do anything about his feelings, and the guy agrees. But, throughout the episode, Jessie keeps seeing these empty school buses pass in front of him. He's uneasy!

Jessie pays the guy a visit later on in the episode. OMG!

HMoG! The two guys staking out Jessie have decided to act. After a drinking binge with Cassidy, Rev. Jessie is lying unconscious on the floor of the church. "Mutt & Jeff" sidle in, and perform some type of exorcism. I'm laughing so hard, I can't see what's happening, because I'm wiping tears from my eyes.

It doesn't work, so they decide to dismember the body. Right at that moment, Cassidy comes in the church, and all HELL breaks loose. If you don't see another television scene in your lifetime, you've got'a see this one. HMoG!

Emily comes into the church the next morning to find Jessie, who has no idea what happened the previous night. She has a casserole with her for Jessie to bring to a sick family. It's something she told him about tending to the sick and invalid.

He visits a family where a young girl lays in a coma. She's being attended to by her mother. It's obvious this is a hard thing for a mother to do. After the visit, the mother asks Rev. Jessie not to come back. It's just that difficult.

Learning from what happened when he visited the pedophile parishioner, later on in the episode, Rev. Jessie comes back and asks the mother if he can see the girl one more time. She agrees, and Jessie sits on the edge of the bed and tells the girl, "open your eyes".

Man-o-man, I'm telling you, you've got to see, Preacher.

Last edited by Hodgepodge; 06-19-16 at 09:57 PM.
Hodgepodge is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »