Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Art & Literature > Literature General Discussion > What are you reading?

Literature General Discussion A space to talk about your favorite books, series and authors.

Old 12-28-17, 12:53 PM   #4281
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Re: What are you reading?

I'm reading Silken Prey by John Sandford. It's okay so far. None of the characters have really caught my imagination yet, but i'm enjoying the author's general style, and the mystery itself, enough to keep reading.

I'm about to start Surviving The Sword - Prisoners of the Japanese in the Far East, 1942 - 1945 by Brian MacArthur. There's no horror quite like the truth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-17, 04:43 PM   #4282
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mo View Post
I'm reading Silken Prey by John Sandford. It's okay so far. None of the characters have really caught my imagination yet, but i'm enjoying the author's general style, and the mystery itself, enough to keep reading.
I did some of his this summer. None of the "Prey" ones, but the ones with the Virgil Flowers character. They were nice little forgettable packages-- like you said, Sandford has an easy and readable style, and he plots mystery/crime pretty well. Great beach reading.

I did really dig Virgil as a character, you might more enjoy those rather than the "Prey" ones if Davenport doesn't grab you (he doesn't grab me, honestly).

vonnegut is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-17, 03:22 AM   #4283
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Also just today i started Ice Station by Matt Reilly. The premise is totally outrageous, but in a very fun way, for me at least. The characters seem a little too generic for my tastes, but just the idea of two crazy plot twists in the first 50 pages is great, and the action sequences are well-written and already plentiful. With all that, character development might be a bit much to ask, although there has been a little already - granted, it's character development in an already well-plowed field of military special ops types, but still, i admire the author's ambition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-18, 02:39 AM   #4284
catnap
duckgrazeharborpain
Drinks Dharma Beer

I started The Quiet Game, which is the first in the Penn Cage novels (mystery series set in rural Mississippi). The entire series has great reviews but I just couldn't continue to care about the protagonist, even though I found him likable for the most part. Gave up and moved on.

Downloaded Saving Grace by Julie Garwood. Think it's an Az recommendation? I'd done one of her novels on audible and it was just ok, but the reviews suggest some of her older work is much better. So far, really good. Love a good Highlands romance with plenty of conflict.

Listening to The Winter Folly. One of those Gothic historical fiction novels that flip between past and present drama to eventually unravel a past secret. I love them if they're done right...Kate Morton does them so well. So far this one is just OK. Hoping it picks up.

catnap is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-18, 07:12 PM   #4285
azteclady
Reads. Crafts. Rabble Rouses. Rants.
Hears the Whispers

YES!!!! Saving Grace is my favorite Garwood, I hope you continue to like it.
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Art & Literature > Literature General Discussion »