Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Community > Lostaways! :) > Mental Health (ASD, Depression, Anxiety, Bipolar, etc.)

Lostaways! :) Welcome Lostaways! Kick back, relax, and have a little fun!

Old 06-14-17, 06:52 AM   #91
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Re: Mental Health (ASD, Depression, Anxiety, Bipolar, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Well, he did win the popular vote in 30 states.
But lost the popular vote in America.

Womp womp.

vonnegut is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-17, 07:28 AM   #92
Mattie
Cons the Conman

I know, just pointing out some #alternativefacts is all.

"madness, and then illumination"
orson scott card
http://instagram.com/towhateverend
Mattie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-17, 07:46 AM   #93
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Trump won the popular vote by a wider margin than anyone in American history. Period.

#seanspicer

vonnegut is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-17, 02:48 PM   #94
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Bush II lost the popular vote too. Big deal.

I wanna talk a little more about mental health.

My grandparents were all children of The Great Depression, and as such, they very rarely threw anything away. Both my maternal grandparents, and my paternal grandmother, died in 1985, when i was 11. My paternal grandfather, however, lived until late 2007. Probably the single biggest reason i had for moving back to upstate New York in '08 was that my dad was working full-time, trying to plan a wedding to his high school sweetheart whom he had run into at the Clarke Institute after roughly 40 years of no contact, and had considerable responsibilities at his church, functioning as musical director, Deacon, and virtually their only IT guy. His father's estate was languishing, and he needed help.

So i came. It was simply astounding how much STUFF there was in that little 2 bedroom 1 1/2 bath single story home with an unfinished basement and a tiny attic. It wasn't unsafe in any particular way, or at least it was still fairly safe at the time of his death. The living room floor had buckled due to water damage, a small family of field mice had established a cozy residence in a pantry, and some mold had started to grow near the water damaged areas, but that was all post-mortem. He had died in October, and i didn't get there until August.

I sometimes watch Hoarders on A&E or E! or whatever channel, and sometimes i wonder what they'd have said about my grandfather's place. It was a functional, safe, and clean home, but every little nook and cranny was crammed with stuff. It was amazing the things he had collections of, even down to a small shoebox mostly filled with varying lengths of string.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
I am not allowed to rob a liquor store anymore because I met my own personal Jesus.
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-17, 06:28 PM   #95
gertie
I'll gertie
Squishes the Frog

Gosh Mr Mo. My Dad was a hoarder, too. You should have seen the basement (Mom quit going down there). He was part owner of a hardware store, and when my godfather died, Dad brought nearly everything left in the store to the basement. He would also go to sales at ORNL and buy old equipment. What did he need with an oscilloscope? A table saw, all those jars of nails and screws? All those tools, machines that I have no idea what they were.

The entire basement was just filled with oddities.

But, it was "his place" so we let him just revel in it.

How to get rid of all that after his death was another story.

I wish I had pictures.

But, well not but at this time. I don't want to speak of it.

Mark Twain:

Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
gertie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-17, 08:39 PM   #96
Frecklestoo
Talking Dead
Drinks Dharma Beer

Quote:
Hey, Hillary lost. Shouldn't you switch up your av? That'd be like rocking a Romney avatar in 2013. Sad!
That's left over from the last mafia game, or maybe it was Survivor. Now I have to think of something else for an avatar.

Quote:
Caught me. I was just trying to rile Frecks up. Haven't hit my quota yet for today...
The last time you riled me up, I did a "Vonne" and unfriended you on FB.

And now I miss you. *sigh*
Frecklestoo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-17, 09:20 PM   #97
Mattie
Cons the Conman

These hoarding stories reminded me somewhat of a man I encountered in Colorado while I was homeless & living out of my car for a few months.

We had both chosen the same area to day-park/camp at - Garden of the Gods. Most beautiful place I've ever seen. Anyway...

Navigating the area is basically a giant circle of road and various parking lots along the route. This guy lived in a white carpenters van, but he'd sit outside in foldable chairs during the day, and leave the back doors open.

His van had SO MUCH stuff that I still remember how amazing it was to me to this day. He had some type of custom-built wooden holder set up in the back, almost like a shoe holder. But every square was packed with letter, envelopes, pots, pans, multiple pairs of shoes, all kinds of scattered maps, paintings, canned food, tools, I mean you name it and it was shoved into this van. There was almost no air space. Dashboard was covered too. Basically all you had was room to sit and drive. I wanted to take a picture of that dude’s van...but I never approached him. Not because I feared his mental state or anything (he seemed sane from what I could tell), I worried about possibly offending him or trying to appropriate his van into my “cooooool” label.

orson scott card
Old 06-15-17, 05:41 AM   #98
Mattie
Cons the Conman

Booooo, big pharma!! Booo!!

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...l-compounds-nd

orson scott card
Old 06-15-17, 12:12 PM   #99
9mile monster
Calls Ann Arbor weekly
Escapes the Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mo View Post
I wanna talk a little more about mental health.

My grandparents were all children of The Great Depression, and as such, they very rarely threw anything away. Both my maternal grandparents, and my paternal grandmother, died in 1985, when i was 11. My paternal grandfather, however, lived until late 2007. Probably the single biggest reason i had for moving back to upstate New York in '08 was that my dad was working full-time, trying to plan a wedding to his high school sweetheart whom he had run into at the Clarke Institute after roughly 40 years of no contact, and had considerable responsibilities at his church, functioning as musical director, Deacon, and virtually their only IT guy. His father's estate was languishing, and he needed help.

So i came. It was simply astounding how much STUFF there was in that little 2 bedroom 1 1/2 bath single story home with an unfinished basement and a tiny attic. It wasn't unsafe in any particular way, or at least it was still fairly safe at the time of his death. The living room floor had buckled due to water damage, a small family of field mice had established a cozy residence in a pantry, and some mold had started to grow near the water damaged areas, but that was all post-mortem. He had died in October, and i didn't get there until August.

I sometimes watch Hoarders on A&E or E! or whatever channel, and sometimes i wonder what they'd have said about my grandfather's place. It was a functional, safe, and clean home, but every little nook and cranny was crammed with stuff. It was amazing the things he had collections of, even down to a small shoebox mostly filled with varying lengths of string.
I used to think my parents were hoarders, too, before that word became popular. However, their hoarding items were plastic food containers, tin pie pans, out grown clothes and and gifts they never used because their old item still worked fine. These items filled their basement storage areas to the brim. It bothered me a lot and I told them. Then one day I moved out to a rural area and had to pass a garbage dump. The dump grew daily and each time I passed it it would be more of a mountain. Then everything began to make sense. My Depression Era parents had to do without in the young life so they learned to value of the discard items I mentioned. Each item they saved could be used again, and they did with some of them as storage. Put Tupperware out of business they did. This was in the time before "recycling" started, the early 1990's. I don't know the exact date recycling became more important.

When they died and I cleaned out their home there was a lot of <snip> I just threw away but I appreciated their efforts and try to do as much recycling as possible in my own home.

They were hoarders in that sense and I think many people who went through the Depression were that way. But then there were/are others that I've met along the way who are totally hoarders. A man whose real last name was Coot, he was an excellent HVAC guy, had pathways in his home with walls of storage paper documents, magazines. Another person, an excellent computer man, Victor, lived in his parents' basement with similar halls of discard. Both of these men are excellent in their professions. I wonder if they have become so focused in this that all else has fallen by the wayside. In the case of Victor, he was a single father of a young daughter. I hope she didn't suffer much from his problem.

What is the psychology behind these other people? Anxiety and obsessive/compulsive are partly. Indecisiveness is also part of it. An article from Psychology Today is informative.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ehind-hoarding

Seeing what my parents held onto has given me incite and helps me to throw away leftover art stuff. I always feel proud when I toss something away of my art that is not good enough and prouder when I see someone pick my garbage. LOL
Old 06-17-17, 08:59 PM   #100
Mattie
Cons the Conman

SZA Says Tripping On Mushrooms Helped Her Break Through Writer’s Block For Ctrl

SZA long-awaited Ctrl album, released on June 9, is a deeply personal collection of songs, and, as the TDE artist told Billboard, it wasn't always easy to get vulnerable. During a recent interview, SZA remembered a mushroom trip that she said broke through her writer's block.

"I heard everything singing to me, from the grass and flowers to the little leaves,” she told Billboard. “I was tripped out, crying. It removed that fear barrier. The next day, I felt free — I couldn't fail.” Before that experience, SZA said she "grew resentful of music,” explaining that anxiety made her “afraid of the studio.”

http://www.thefader.com/2017/06/15/s...rip-ctrl-album

orson scott card
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Community > Lostaways! :) »