Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > Mr. Bill's Re-watch of Breaking Bad (First-Watchers Welcome)

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 01-28-18, 10:22 PM   #1
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

Mr. Bill's Re-watch of Breaking Bad (First-Watchers Welcome)

This will be my third time through, it's by far my favorite TV Show, ever. I'll try to keep any foreshadowing in spoilers for First-Watchers, if any decide to participate.

A little background on the show:

Vince Gilligan is the lead writer and Exec. Producer of this show. Gilligan got his start writing for and eventually leading the writing team on The X-Files (of course another favorite of mine). Bryan Cranston (Walter White) was a guest star on the X-Files episode , "Drive" and Gilligan was so impressed with him that Breaking Bad was developed for him as the lead character.

The show is filmed in New Mexico in and around Albuquerque and the scenery and cinematography is as much a character as the actors. It's an amazing ride with superb acting, great action, great storytelling, and excellent attention to detail throughout its 5 seasons. All "t"'s are crossed culminating in a very memorable finale.

Walter White is a struggling H.S. chemistry teacher with a baby on the way and a son with mild Cerebral Palsy, has limited health insurance, and has to work part time at a car wash to survive financially. His greatest achievement is a plaque for contributions to the Nobel Prize in chemistry which didn't pan out career-wise. He is diagnosed with terminal cancer with six months to live and wants go out leaving his family financially stable, and here we begin ...

*** Posting Recommendations:

Since people will be watching at different speeds and to prevent confusion, please include an episode identifier to your posts, for example, re: S1E6. When commenting on a specific post, please use the quotes function where appropriate. If this thread manages to go beyond a page, this will help keep this thread organized.

Thank you.

Spoiler: For Trolls' Eyes Only

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*

Last edited by Mr. Bill; 02-10-18 at 06:51 PM.
Mr. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-18, 10:49 PM   #2
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Re: Mr. Bill's Re-watch of Breaking Bad (First-Watchers Welcome)

Oh, this sounds like fun. Count me in! Mrs. Mo and i will try to watch along to some extent as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
I am not allowed to rob a liquor store anymore because I met my own personal Jesus.
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."

Last edited by Mr. Bill; 01-28-18 at 11:10 PM.
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-18, 10:54 PM   #3
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

Pilot

First, Teachers need to be paid a lot more than they do!... let me get that out of the way.
I really felt Walter White's humiliation when one of his students he reprimanded drove into the car wash in his daddy's Porsche and Walter had to detail his car.

Walter's DEA agent brother-in-law, Hank Schrader (Dean Norris), comes off as a complete goof-ball clown in the pilot but man do they develop his character as the seasons progress.

Jesse Pinkman ... former student and "Captain Cook" with a pinch of chili powder to spice it up. Love Jesse Pinkman and his "Cow Houses".

I love the way this episode was book-ended, beginning and ending on the nearby reservation and all parts in between were 36 hours prior leading up to it. I guess standing out on the road in your underwear would come in second place on the humiliation meter.

What are your thoughts?

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*
Old 01-28-18, 11:10 PM   #4
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mo View Post
Oh, this sounds like fun. Count me in! Mrs. Mo and i will try to watch along to some extent as well.

Will this be your first time watching it, Mr. Mo?

(sorry, mod error - please excuse the edit in you op, I hit edit rather than quote by mistake).

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*

Last edited by Mr. Bill; 01-28-18 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-29-18, 01:38 AM   #5
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

I've been a follower of the Breaking Bad Insider's Podcast which started in season 2. I'm looking forward to providing some behind the scenes tidbits from those podcasts. Really interesting stuff from Vince Gilligan and the cast and crew.

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*
Old 01-29-18, 01:49 AM   #6
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

No, this will be my third go-round also, and Mrs. Mo's second.

No worries about the oopsie edit, it happens.

________

Pilot

I know that every season starts off with a flash-forward, but man, what an iconic way to start a TV show! A guy in a gas mask and tighty whiteys is driving an RV through a desert like a bat out of hell, and in the passenger seat is an unconscious guy in a gas mask, while dead or unconscious people slide around on the floor in the back of the RV. Then the RV crashes, the driver gets out, removes his gas mask and puts on a shirt, films a goodbye for the love of his life and somebody named junior, then as the sirens get louder, he pulls out what i think at a quick glance is a .45 caliber handgun, and walks out into the road with his gun, his shirt, and his tighty whiteys.

One of the best opening sequences of its age for sure.

Walt worked on a team that won a Nobel in 1985.

"The study of change" - an informative topic - "growth -> decay -> transformation"

A little messed up how Hank's drug bust is the star of Walt's 50th b-day party.

"Here, honey, here's a halfhearted handjob while i nag you about other shit, happy birthday!" Skylar has some great moments throughout the series, but man she's about impossible to actually like.

Tossing matches in the dirty pool. Great visual metaphor there.

Walt threatens Jesse, using blackmail as a business bargaining chip. Walt has some serious difficulties understanding human nature.

There's some really good symbolic imagery towards the end of the ep.
Quote:
Mo, I you
Quote:
I am not allowed to rob a liquor store anymore because I met my own personal Jesus.
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

Old 01-29-18, 02:13 AM   #7
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

I thought the scene at the doctor's office after Walt collapsed at the car wash and was rushed to the hospital was interesting. As the doctor is describing the details of Walt's cancer and life expectancy, he's muted out by a tinnitus effect as Walt is fixating on a mustard stain on the doctor's shirt. A really interesting way to visually and aurally describe shock. It's familiar in other films, but it was very well done. Of course he mentions none of this to his wife.

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*
Old 01-29-18, 03:02 AM   #8
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Subbing.

I may watch along a bit, too. I've only seen it once straight through, and then random episodes re-watched.

vonnegut is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-18, 03:37 AM   #9
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

Welcome Vonne, looking forward to your participation.

What I find really interesting and it's been repeated several times in the podcasts is that every line of dialogue is written in stone, there is no ad libbing in this production. The actors can suggest changes, and they may make some small modifications to the script, but every thing is there for a purpose, for continuity. It's really a testament to the writing how natural the dialogue is.

There's a team of about 6 writers led by Gilligan who spend months "breaking" a season where every detail of the storyline is looked at for continuity, production concerns, etc., and then it's handed off to one of the writers to produce an episode script. It's a fascinating process where no stone is left unturned.

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*
Old 01-29-18, 11:51 AM   #10
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bill View Post
I've been a follower of the Breaking Bad Insider's Podcast which started in season 2. I'm looking forward to providing some behind the scenes tidbits from those podcasts. Really interesting stuff from Vince Gilligan and the cast and crew.
I'm definitely looking forward to learning more about the show from this source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bill View Post
I thought the scene at the doctor's office after Walt collapsed at the car wash and was rushed to the hospital was interesting. As the doctor is describing the details of Walt's cancer and life expectancy, he's muted out by a tinnitus effect as Walt is fixating on a mustard stain on the doctor's shirt. A really interesting way to visually and aurally describe shock. It's familiar in other films, but it was very well done. Of course he mentions none of this to his wife.
Agreed. It's not often that a show pilot can include a terminal cancer diagnosis for the ostensible main character and make us laugh at the same time, however uncomfortably. One of the many things that i love about Breaking Bad is its odd sense of humour.
Quote:
Mo, I you
Quote:

« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »