Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > Star Trek: Discovery - CBS/All Access Sunday

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 02-05-18, 05:52 PM   #161
Zaphod of Whiskers
We are the dreamers of dreams
Stares Down Smokey

Location: You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.
Re: Star Trek: Discovery - CBS/All Access Sunday

"The War Without, The War Within"

Spoiler: spoiler
Good episode but stretching my believability to the limits, as far as the characters go.

The crew forgiving Ash so quickly bugs me. I would be so paranoid of him, that this isn't some kind of con that he and L'Rell have schemed as part of his species programming. They only have her word that she was able to remove the dominant part of Voq.

Making mirror Georgiou captain??? NO WAY. No way can she be trusted. Plus also now you are deceiving all the crew except the select few officers. They could use Georgiou to make the plan, but to lead the ship??? NO.

And one of the bigger things, hey we're just gonna take this moon and bend it to our needs. WHAT?!? Granted life might not grow there (not now, maybe in 1000 years?), but hmmm we can just willy nilly grab whatever moon we want and terraform it? It would have made more sense if they just terraformed a giant asteroid or several smaller ones, as there is zero chance any life could evolve on an asteroid (as I understand these things. Maybe I'm wrong.)

I Reached inside myself And found nothing there
To ease the pressure of My ever worrying mind
All my powers waste away I fear the crazed and lonely looks
The mirror's sending me these days
Zaphod of Whiskers is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-18, 07:16 AM   #162
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

Forgiving him in the rec hall felt like the right thing to do in this universe though. Maybe it was presented to them that his body and mind were taken from him and people are sympathetic. As long as he doesn't have access to weapons he isn't much of a threat.

I'll reserve judgement on her being named captain. I agree it is odd that she isn't standing as an advisor next to the admiral. She is clearly going to be needed to make quick decisions though so it's possible it's a logistical necessity. It may also be that she will be required to make orders others aren't comfortable with making. As long as the admiral is there, she can still probably be overridden.

I've seen others complain about the moon, but Stamets clearly stated he had wanted to do so already and was overruled. It's not a stretch to assume he had researched optimal locations for the moment he was given the go ahead.

And maybe there needs to be a specific atmosphere for teh stuff to grow.

I wonder if they could use that spore technology to overwrite the klingon homeworld. I believe they mentioned that Genesis in the wrath of khan could have been used as a bio weapon. I don't know much about the status of the klingon homeworld in TOS or later.

There is another possibility, which is that a bio weapon could be used to change the klingons to be what they were in TOS. I know that writers have tried explaining it a bit in the past. Although I would have ignored the difference in looks as TOS was a product of the 60's.

I'm curious what Giorgiou told Sarek and if it's the same thing that was told to the federation. I wonder if the vulcans will be brought in to do something nasty that the federation may be unwilling to do.
FrodoFraggins is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-18, 04:43 PM   #163
Zaphod of Whiskers
Stares Down Smokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoFraggins View Post
Forgiving him in the rec hall felt like the right thing to do in this universe though. Maybe it was presented to them that his body and mind were taken from him and people are sympathetic. As long as he doesn't have access to weapons he isn't much of a threat.
For me it just happened way too quick. If a week or several had past with no incidents, fine. This to happen what, first day freed?

Old 02-09-18, 07:26 PM   #164
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod of Whiskers View Post
...The crew forgiving Ash so quickly bugs me. I would be so paranoid of him, that this isn't some kind of con that he and L'Rell have schemed as part of his species programming. They only have her word that she was able to remove the dominant part of Voq...
Quote:
Forgiving him in the rec hall felt like the right thing to do in this universe though. Maybe it was presented to them that his body and mind were taken from him and people are sympathetic. As long as he doesn't have access to weapons he isn't much of a threat...
ZoW, I totally agree with you.

As my mother used to say, "I don't trust him any farther than I can throw him." I hope we're being more than a little paranoid, but this could definitely comeback to bite them in the butts.

FF, makes a good point about under "our" universe, we're always willing to give a person a second chance. I will say, I've become to admire Tilly a lot more than I did when the series first started.

Quote:
...Making mirror Georgiou captain??? NO WAY. No way can she be trusted. Plus also now you are deceiving all the crew except the select few officers. They could use Georgiou to make the plan, but to lead the ship??? NO...
Quote:
...I'll reserve judgement on her being named captain. I agree it is odd that she isn't standing as an advisor next to the admiral. She is clearly going to be needed to make quick decisions though so it's possible it's a logistical necessity. It may also be that she will be required to make orders others aren't comfortable with making. As long as the admiral is there, she can still probably be overridden...
I'm more curious what she promised the Admiral she could do, and "what" was the favor she asked for.

Was she promised she'd be sent back to the alternate universe? Was she promised a commission in Star Fleet? Whatever it was, I also feel its going to come back and bite them in the butts. The Emperor definitely can't be trusted.

Quote:
...And one of the bigger things, hey we're just gonna take this moon and bend it to our needs. WHAT?!? Granted life might not grow there (not now, maybe in 1000 years?), but hmmm we can just willy nilly grab whatever moon we want and terraform it? It would have made more sense if they just terraformed a giant asteroid or several smaller ones, as there is zero chance any life could evolve on an asteroid (as I understand these things. Maybe I'm wrong.)
Quote:
...I've seen others complain about the moon, but Stamets clearly stated he had wanted to do so already and was overruled. It's not a stretch to assume he had researched optimal locations for the moment he was given the go ahead.

And maybe there needs to be a specific atmosphere for teh stuff to grow...
This one didn't bother me at all.

In times of war, a lot of things are overlooked for the betterment of humanity. I also agree, they needed a specific type of planet/moon to cultivate.

Quote:
...I'm curious what Giorgiou told Sarek and if it's the same thing that was told to the federation. I wonder if the vulcans will be brought in to do something nasty that the federation may be unwilling to do.
I thought it was unique when they talked, the Emperor referred to Michael as "their" daughter.

Also, right after they had "their" talk, Sarek needed to get back to Vulcan. So, your idea the Vulcan's are going to be doing something behind the curtain makes sense.
Old 02-10-18, 09:25 PM   #165
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Season Finale

S01E15 - "Will You Take My Hand"
Sunday - February 11, 2018
CBS/All Access - 8:30e/7:30c/5:30w

Spoiler: Promo & Episode Description

With Georgiou at the helm of the plan to end the Klingon war once and for all, the U.S.S. Discovery crew struggles to fathom and tolerate her hostile tactics. Memories of past hardships are rekindled within Burnham. Source
Hodgepodge is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-18, 11:54 AM   #166
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

I'm not a fan of this episode at all. They took their time with things over the season to give a quick but laughable resolution. The klingons are going to follow someone threatening to destroy their homeworld? And that's all it took to end the war?
FrodoFraggins is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-18, 05:11 PM   #167
vincentstuntdbl#23
stuntdog
Escapes the Cage

The ending - was like 'wait what?!'
vincentstuntdbl#23 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-18, 06:58 PM   #168
Zaphod of Whiskers
Stares Down Smokey

agreed, that wrapped up WAY too fast. L'Rell is now going to be a target for the 24 houses, as she is imposing a threat to keep them unified - you don't inspire loyalty by threatening the way she did.

Old 02-13-18, 10:34 PM   #169
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Its still on my DVR. I'll get to it within the next day or two.
Old 02-14-18, 01:51 AM   #170
Zaphod of Whiskers
Stares Down Smokey

There's quite a bit of uproar over the 'burying your gays' trope over on Previously TV for Discovery (something I was not aware was even a trope.) I don't believe killing off Culber qualifies as a trope, as he's only one character for part of the season - if anything, there needs to be a security officer trope as they get offed really often. People are just upset they don't get to see the Stamets/Culber ship, but I'm sure in time Stamets will find someone else after his heart heals. Kirk managed to find someone every other week.

« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »