Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Community > Lostaways! :) > What's New/Countdown to Thanksgiving

Lostaways! :) Welcome Lostaways! Kick back, relax, and have a little fun!

Old Today, 05:59 PM   #9121
catnap
duckgrazeharborpain
Drinks Dharma Beer

Re: What's New/Countdown to Thanksgiving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod of Whiskers View Post
i always just do a turkey breast. very easy to cook. and yep can prepare the casserole ahead of time, hold the onions until you actually bake that bad boy.
OK, that's what I'm doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Con View Post
Thanks! It is Gordon, he was my son's favorite and he went bonkers when I made that Gif.

Sorry to hear it was so cold. Usually better start & end of summer. Wait too long and it can get really cold! No shopping while there is a bummer. That is a ton of fun at any beach location in New England!

A cappelletti is like a tortelini.

Pork and chicken rolled in a lil hat. Boil some chicken broth, drop em in for 10 mins then sprinkle on some Romano cheese! Ahhh, can't wait for Tday!!
Will try n get a pic to post.
That sounds delish. Post pics!

Quote:
For dull n drabby plain old potatoes you can spice it up with some Galic, Bacon Bits and a lil bit of Chives. Sure makes them taste good. My kid even says the Taters rock!

I do the whole Turkey as we need home made stuffing. My mother whips up a batch for me to put in Tom. So good.... makes Stove Top look like cardboard. Plus I always have tons left over for sandwiches, turkey n gravy on toast and turkey pizza! Ya sounds odd but tastes great!
Wow those are some creative sides!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mo View Post
I like to roast fresh minced garlic in real unsalted butter with a splash of white wine, and mix that into my mashed potatoes (while the potatoes are still hot and the garlic has just browned) with a little high-quality goat cheese and a few seasonings, usually just salt n peppers (black & white). If i'm just cooking them for Mrs. Mo and i, i'll leave the skins because we both like that and it's healthier; but if we're expecting a big crowd i'll take the time to peel.

I would like to note that the products i mentioned to catnap are NOT instant mashed potato products. They're pre-made, not freeze-dried, and while not quite as good as actually fresh-made mashed potatoes that are done right, i've had homemade mashed potatoes that weren't as good as the Hormel dishes. Never had homemade that wasn't orders of magnitude better than that dried flake instant crap.

____

gertie, drain flies are a very common problem in commercial kitchens. The trick you used will kill off the adults that are currently plaguing you, but i bet they'll be back. The way that i've killed them off in the past, which can last for months to years, is: keep your sinks and tub empty as much as possible (try to just do dishes once a day, and do one of the treatments right afterward) and treat EVERY drain in the home with a tablespoon of bleach three times a day. Do that for five days and all the adults, eggs, and larva will be dead. If they come back again in less than six months, it's because somebody nearby isn't keeping their drains clean.

Also, peeled potatoes keep much better in milk than in water, but neither is as good an option as cooking them right after peeling.
wait, gertie has drain flies? Did I miss that post?

I did not know that was a thing.

Your potatoes sound amazing...but I'm not going to chance messing things up with any seasonings except butter, salt, and pepper. I'll make those right before we eat, I suppose I can peel in the morning. In fact, I'm going to do a trial run this weekend to make sure I don't mess it up.

Surprisingly, we have both a masher and a peeler. Who knew?

catnap is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Today, 06:26 PM   #9122
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

gertie has drain flies:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertie View Post
Lost my post for some reason.

So, I've been having a ton of bugs. Not exactly gnats, bigger than gnats. I know I don't empty my garbage enough, so assumed that was the cause. Fruit flies?

So, after a couple looked like an airplane headed directly for my eyes, I looked online at what to do.

One said to put little bowls of apple cider vinegar out. Well, I don't happen to have that. Another said to put an inch of Pepsi with a few squirts of dish soap out. So, I did that.

Miracle! This morning I have not seen any sign of those pesky things! They must be coming from the drains, and my little bowls were right there.

Nothing! Victory!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Today, 06:58 PM   #9123
LostViking
Plunderer
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnap View Post

So questions for the cooks:

1. How far in advance can I peel the potatoes? B/c it seems like I should cook and mash them right before we eat, right?
Have you considered leaving the skin on? I think with red potatoes, the skin adds to the taste. I make sure the peals are cut up, so you don't end up with a huge chunk of skin, but I really like the added flavor. And, for the record, I prefer red potatoes.

Quote:
2. Everyone wants just white meat...so maybe I can cook a turkey breast instead of buying a whole turkey already done. Is it hard to cook a turkey breast?
I prefer dark meat.

Really, I do. I have always been the cook in the family. One thanksgiving I decided to make duck marsala and Turkey breast piccata style. It turned out really well - very moist turkey breast and duck for the dark meat fans.
Quote:
3. I can do the green bean casserole and stuffing in advance, correct? Just leave the fried onions off?
I make the stuffing one day in advance and then heat it in a fry pan before I serve. I add butter and fresh garlic when I reheat. I am not a bean casserole fan. I prefer fresh roasted green beans. But I believe a casserole can be made in advance.
LostViking is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Today, 07:46 PM   #9124
Long Con
Talks Backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertie View Post
Turkey pizza? Show the recipe.

Good to see you again, Long Con. Where have you been?
Hey Gertie! Long time no type. Good to chat again. Life gets in the way sometimes... forgot about this place... been rewatching and found my old bookmark, username and password. Figured I would stop by to play!!!

I use store bought dough, some sauce left over from the last time I made pasta, I make a ton of sauce when I do and freeze about 5 meals worth, throw a 5 cheese blend down and top off with Turkey and stuffing. 18 mins at 420 and you got some Turkey Pizza! I will take a pic when I make it next weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnap View Post
OK, that's what I'm doing.
That sounds delish. Post pics!
Wow those are some creative sides!
It all about awesome taste! Those spiked taters are a hit with everyone. Ill take a pic of my cappelletti and all the fixings. Gotta have some squash, broccoli and cheese and good old corn on the table as well.

Red taters should have the skin on... taste way better.

I like both white and dark and dont mind most grabbing the white as the dark meat is great on toast with gravy and stuffing!

Let's all post pics of the goodies on Thursday!

Long Con is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Today, 08:00 PM   #9125
Long Con
Talks Backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mo View Post
I like to roast fresh minced garlic in real unsalted butter with a splash of white wine, and mix that into my mashed potatoes (while the potatoes are still hot and the garlic has just browned) with a little high-quality goat cheese and a few seasonings, usually just salt n peppers (black & white). If i'm cooking them for only Mrs. Mo and i, i'll leave the skins because we both like that and it's healthier; but if we're expecting a big crowd i'll take the time to peel.
Sounds yummy! Like the Lost references. Garlic goes good with everything! If you like pepper, look for a 5 peppercorn medley. It has black, white, red, yellow and green peppercorns in it and it has a great taste. I haven't used black pepper since I found that combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostViking View Post
I prefer dark meat.

Really, I do. I have always been the cook in the family. One thanksgiving I decided to make duck marsala and Turkey breast piccata style. It turned out really well - very moist turkey breast and duck for the dark meat fans.
Dark meat is soooo good. Last year I got my son to try it and he loves it. Now I gotta split it with him. Hmmm, maybe that wasn't a good idea

Your Duck and Turkey sounded real good! Combined must have been out of this world!

Long Con is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Today, 09:10 PM   #9126
gertie
I'll gertie
Squishes the Frog

I prefer dark poultry meat, also.

Mark Twain:

Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
gertie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Today, 10:37 PM   #9127
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Garlic goes good with everything! If you like pepper, look for a 5 peppercorn medley. It has black, white, red, yellow and green peppercorns in it and it has a great taste. I haven't used black pepper since I found that combo.
I probably roast fresh garlic for more dishes than not. It's how i start my home fries, even

I LOVE pepper. I have to be careful about particularly hot ones because Mrs. Mo has an ulcer. I will look for that medley for my grinder, thanks for the tip!

____

I am also in the pro-dark meat group. I like white meat just fine, but prefer dark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Community > Lostaways! :) »