Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Community > Community News > Net Neutrality, and access

Old 11-21-17, 03:43 PM   #11
azteclady
Reads. Crafts. Rabble Rouses. Rants.
Hears the Whispers

Re: Net Neutrality, and access

The ACLU on the imminent threat to Net Neutrality:

(Yes, I'm freaking out about this, because I know what happens when the government and/or corporations, control what information reaches the population--see Turkey, China, etc. Frankly, I'm amazed that not everyone is as freaked out about it as I am.)
Old 11-21-17, 09:12 PM   #12
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Anybody ever read North Korea's Twitter feed? It's craptastic for sure. Imagine having something similar here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-17, 05:59 PM   #13
azteclady
Hears the Whispers

(via Open Culture)

Three years ago, the public united to defend Net Neutrality.

The public won that battle.

We have to fight it again.

There are current reports* that comments at the FCC site have been manipulated in these past few months. Leave your comment anyway--but also, you can email the individual members of the FCC to let (source)them know you are not okay with having your access (and everyone else's) an open web be determined by what ISPs want to charge.

And remember, the FCC answers directly to Congress: call your Senators and Representatives, and raise hell over the right of every person living in the US to access information freely.

* Eric Schneiderman is the AG for New York
Old 11-24-17, 05:28 PM   #14
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Ars Technica has a pretty good piece up right now about how Ajit Pai is seeking to de-legitimize the massive public backlash against the proposed rules change: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...et-neutrality/

And Ars pushed up one comment on the story in particular, too, by member ShelbyStripes...

Quote:
This should make for a nice lawsuit. You can't enact (or repeal) a rule without a genuine public comment period. If they keep being this shockingly dismissive of public comments in general, including an utter lack of attempt to distinguish real and fraudulent comments, they could see this rulemaking overturned.

The irony is that the GOP just spent the past decade using courts to aggressively thwart rulemaking. Time to use those precedents against them. This is more blatantly egregious abuse of process than any rulemaking under the Obama administration that was struck down.
I sure hope that that person is correct.
Quote:
Mo, I you
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

Old 11-24-17, 06:01 PM   #15
azteclady
Hears the Whispers

Sad when the courts are the only resource left to ensure a democratic process--more so given what's going on with federal judge seats right now.
Old 11-28-17, 11:19 PM   #16
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Wired magazine has made an article on this available online for anybody seeking more information on this vital issue. They explain a bit about how what the 'net would look like and how it would function without neutrality rules.

Linky: https://www.wired.com/story/heres-ho...er_onsiteshare

It's NOT too late to do something about this, folks. As mentioned above, Pai and the FCC Board are overlooking public comments that they don't like (which are estimated at roughly 98.5% of original (non-bot, non-spam) comments). Therefore the best way to apply pressure is directly through your elected representative - AZ tells us how above.
Quote:
Mo, I you

Old 11-30-17, 04:24 PM   #17
azteclady
Hears the Whispers

If the rules protecting equal access to the internet (what we call Net Neutrality--which does not mean both-siding politics or having no opinions) are eliminated, access to ANY free services online will cease, sooner rather than later.

Any of the many, many things you access daily for free--you tube videos? blogs? news?--with be behind at least one paywall, the one YOUR ISP will put up. Likely, those services will also put paywalls.

People with small business who do business online? Say good bye to that too.

We can all just shrug and tell ourselves that our one voice doesn't matter, or we can all speak up, loudly, so that the volume makes it impossible for the FCC and Congress to pretend we are all silent.

Call the FCC and leave a voicemail at (202) 418-1000

Call Congress, ask for your state Senator or district Representative, and leave a voicemail at (202) 224-3121

History is made by those who show up.
Old 11-30-17, 04:30 PM   #18
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Literally almost 99% of respondents are against these rules changes. This isn't even a political issue. Even neo-conservatives are in favor of net neutrality. The ONLY group lobbying for these rules changes are the telecomm companies who can then essentially create endless bidding wars for access, and pocket every single cent because under the proposed changes the bidding wars would be considered capitalism at work and wouldn't even be taxed.

Utterly insane that this passed committee. When Bernie Sanders and Newt Gingrinch agree on something, it's not necessarily that Hell is freezing over, it might just be that a staggeringly bad idea is being floated (not to mention being VERY aggressively lobbied).
Quote:
Mo, I you

Old 12-05-17, 12:55 AM   #19
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

It's ridiculous to get rid of Net Neutrality when there isn't really much competition for internet access across the country. Which means price fixing between providers is even more inevitable.

There was talk a long time ago of opening up the existing cable infrastructure to any internet provider, similar to how the phone lines were made accessible to long distance providers.

I'm 100% for Net Neutrality but I am a bit annoyed with so many people assuming that each provider will have separate packages for each major content hub such as facebook, netflix, youtube. I think it's just as likely that those places, rather than the customer, will be charged a fee to get the fast lanes. Which means there will likely be more invasive ads for those sites in order to maintain profits.

I'm not aware of any banning of sites that can occur without Net Neutrality and it's important that all sites at least be given a minimum speed to customers. With government and emergency related services possibly being automatically given the high speed rates.

Last edited by FrodoFraggins; 12-05-17 at 06:43 AM.
FrodoFraggins is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-17, 11:08 PM   #20
azteclady
Hears the Whispers

I've yet to learn of the existence of any corporation that doesn't pass on the cost of business directly to its customers, as soon as possible.

YMMV.
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Community > Community News »