Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > The Exorcist - FOX Friday

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 09-23-16, 07:45 PM   #1
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

The Exorcist - FOX Friday

The Exorcist -- Premieres Tonight!
S01E01, "Chapter One: And Let My Cry Come Unto Thee"
Friday - September 23, 2016
9/8c - FOX

Spoiler: Show Trailers

Spoiler: Episode Description & Promo

"In the series premiere, two very different men tackle a family's horrifying case of demonic possession." Source
sandi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-16, 07:07 PM   #2
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Re: The Exorcist - FOX Friday -- Premieres Tonight 9/23/16

I thought this was an excellent first episode. The acting was first - rate and I found all of the characters interesting. Yes, the premise is rehashed -- possession by demons -- but the episode was well-written and the story was still compelling.

The attic scene with Father Tomas Ortega (Alfonso Herrera) and the "good" daughter, Casey Rance (who turns out to be the one possessed) was riveting. Good thing Mama showed up when she did because Casey had the upper hand with Father Tomas.

I'm looking forward to the next episode. What did everyone else think?

Formerly known as clayseason1
Old 09-24-16, 10:10 PM   #3
catnap
duckgrazeharborpain
Drinks Dharma Beer

Watching tonight!

catnap is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-16, 01:54 AM   #4
nsguy
Cons the Conman

I liked it. The writing and acting was quite good. It was spooky without being lame (I'm looking at you Damien).

What happened to the father (Alan Ruck)? Was he supposed to have Alzeheimer's? I'm used to seeing that actor in a comedic role, but he was quite good in the premiere.

I didn't understand the exchange between Father Tomas and the exorcist priest. Was the exorcist priest implying that some dark force had caused Father Tomas' dream?
nsguy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-16, 03:34 AM   #5
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Quote:
What happened to the father (Alan Ruck)? Was he supposed to have Alzeheimer's? I'm used to seeing that actor in a comedic role, but he was quite good in the premiere.
I'm guessing it was Alzeheimer's or some other form of dementia.

Quote:
I didn't understand the exchange between Father Tomas and the exorcist priest. Was the exorcist priest implying that some dark force had caused Father Tomas' dream?
The exorcist priest, Father Marcus Keane, seemed to be implying just that, IMO. I'm thinking Father Marcus believes the dark force is taunting him through Father Tomas -- saying "here I am again -- come and get me". And that may very well be what is happening, but it could also be a message heaven-sent. What do you think about that?

eta: Henry Rance (Alan Ruck) is "recovering from a traumatic injury." I got curious and visited the FOX site and read the "about" section. LINK

Last edited by sandi; 09-25-16 at 03:43 AM.
Old 09-30-16, 08:30 PM   #6
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Re: The Exorcist - FOX Friday

The Exorcist
S01E02, "Chapter Two: Lupus in Fabula"
Friday - September 30, 2016
9/8c - FOX

Spoiler: Episode Description & Promo

"Father Marcus joins Tomas after he escapes from Saint Aquinas and urges him to get his ex out of his life. Also: the Rance's relationship with the demon deepens; Marcus catches Angela stealing holy water; and bizarre ritual killings surface in Chicago's south side." Source
Old 10-03-16, 08:59 PM   #7
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

The second episode was better than the first and I thought the first episode was excellent!

There's a lot to talk about in this episode but I'm going to start with Father Marcus Keane. He's such an interesting character and we learn a lot about his backstory in this episode.

When Father Marcus was about seven, he witnessed his drunken father, murder his mother. (I wonder if his father was possessed at the time? Nothing is mentioned or even hinted at that but I wonder about it just the same.) Having no family to take care of him, he becomes an orphan, but "is sold" to "The Church" and spends the next 5 years in a dark corner with a priest or priests.

That disclosure turned my stomach. It appears that a priest or priests paid for Marcus so he/they could secretly molest him without repercussions. And poor little Marcus wasn't alone -- there were other frightened little boys there with him.

Then we see the boys in a dungeon like setting and each in turn is selected to go down a long hallway into a room where animal like screams and cursing is coming from. It's Marcus' turn and before being led away, he approaches a small table filled with religious articles. He selects a bible and then is led to the room. Once inside, he's confronted by a chained human being who looks possessed. And we get the idea that this is Marcus' first exorcism (although we only see a small amount of the exchange and not the ending). Marcus (at twelve) is not afraid because he has true faith and trusts in God to help him face this demon.

Current time
After Father Tomas visits Father Marcus at the hospital/retreat facility, Father Marcus leaves without permission and goes to Chicago to help Father Tomas with the Rance exorcism. (Which I predict is going to be difficult because there's a chink in Father Marcus' faith.) Father Marcus also tells Father Tomas that there isn't just one demon present -- there are many.

Fast forward to that exorcism in Mexico (the one in Father Tomas' dream). The demon breaks the little boy's neck before Father Marcus is successful in exorcising it. Father Marcus tells Father Tomas that he has a vision of God until that episode -- then nothing after that.

Father Marcus wants to observe the Rance family without them knowing who he is so he goes with Father Tomas to the parish where they have a soup kitchen for the homeless in the church. Mom and Dad Rance are there to support the soup kitchen and demon-possessed, sweet Casey Rance is serving food.

Father Marcus overhears Father Tomas make excuses to Angela Rance (Geena Davis) -- he's consulted with the bishop and they believe Casey just needs to see a psychiatrist -- there are no demons involved. But Mama Rance knows better and after Father Tomas walks away she tries to steal some holy water from the font. Father Marcus approaches her and asks if she knows how to use it. Then he tells her to pour the holy water into whatever Casey is drinking -- she needs to get it inside of her.

Father Marcus then sees a homeless man (who looks demented and possessed) approach Casey at the soup line and then the homeless man tells Casey that she was chosen. He becomes really agitated and has to be removed.

Father Marcus follows the homeless man who sits quietly until he is picked up by a big white utility van with the words -- Tattersal Landscaping -- on the side.

After the van leaves, Father Marcus approaches the tent the homeless man had emerged from and finds an old woman -- or what looks like an old woman -- unkept and creepy -- weird eyes -- she looks possessed. Father Marcus holds his crucifix out in front of her face and speaks some Latin -- trying to compel the demon to come forward. But the demon laughs at him and says they used to be afraid of him -- but no more -- not since the failed exorcism in Mexico. Laughing -- the possessed woman walks away from a stunned Father Marcus.

So, I don't know what it's going to take for Father Marcus to reaffirm his total and complete faith in God but that's what needs to happen if he's going to be effective at exorcising demons. IMO

Old 10-03-16, 09:50 PM   #8
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

2nd episode -- Everybody Else

Father Tomas
Father Tomas is facing a huge temptation -- a woman -- a love interest. He can't quit her. Father Marcus told him he must end it once and for all as the demons will know and exploit any little chink in his faith. So, Father Tomas meets with Jessica (someone Father Tomas was close to before he took his vows). Jessica is married but she still writes Father Tomas and is willing to leave her husband for him. But when Jessica tells Father Tomas all he has to do is call it off and she'll leave him alone -- never speak to each other again -- he can't do it.

I think Father Tomas is a good man and a good priest but if he can't call an ending to his relationship with Jessica then that means he doubts his calling and as such, the demons will make mincemeat out of him.

Henry Rance (Alan Ruck)
Henry is recovering from a brain injury. He seemed more "with it" this episode than last. In fact, I think he suspects Casey is possessed. We see him looking out the window at Casey while she talks to the man that really isn't there.

Someone asked earlier, how did Henry become injured. Although we haven't been told that story yet -- I suspect it was demon related. Maybe he suspected Casey was possessed and the demon caused the injury? I think it has to be demon related, otherwise they would have explained how it happened by now.

Angela Rance (Geena Davis)
I really feel for Angela. She's trying to protect her family and failing. She's scared and she knows she's up against evil. I love that she was able to spike Casey's drink with the holy water!

Kat Rance
Kat is oblivious to what is really going on and it someone told her, she wouldn't believe it. I wonder if she even believes in God? I doubt it -- even though the rest of her family does, I don't think she shares their faith.

Casey Rance
So sweet and innocent looking -- yet possessed by a demon. Who is that man who isn't there that she is talking to? Is he a demon? Or the devil himself?

And that creature -- centipede looking thing that she threw up because of the holy water. YUCK!

I think there's more planned for Casey than just a run-of-the-mill possession. Something else is going on.

At the end of the episode, we see that homeless possessed man that approached Casey at the soup kitchen, be a party to a family getting murdered and their organs harvested. He throws the organs in a small cooler (like the kind you would use for a six pack) and exits the family's house. He walks out into the middle of the street and starts walking down the street. We see other people, looking a lot like our homeless guy, carrying small coolers as well, coming out of other homes and joining him. With the exception of one or two of them, they seem oblivious to anything around them and don't even look around.

One or two of them do look around like seeing if anyone has seen them but most of the cooler carriers stare straight ahead. The same van with Tattersal Landscaping on the side is waiting for them. They all get into the back of the van and it drives away.

So, there are several pieces of information which lead me to believe something evil and big is about to happen.
  • There's more than one demon at the Rance home.
  • Apparently there are a number of demons in Chicago.
  • Casey Rance (who is possessed) was told "he chose you". (She's been chosen.)
  • Organs -- a lot of organs -- are being harvested.
  • The Pope will be visiting in about a month.

Any thoughts anyone?

What would demons want with the harvested organs?

Where's Constantine when you need him?

Old 10-03-16, 10:36 PM   #9
nsguy
Cons the Conman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandi View Post
And that creature -- centipede looking thing that she threw up because of the holy water. YUCK!
I thought I was pretty desensitized to gross stuff on tv, but that was nasty. I had to look away during that scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandi View Post
  • There's more than one demon at the Rance home.
I didn't realize there were two. Is someone other than Casey possessed?

Curious to see how Casey's possession turns out. She's seeing what seems to be a well dressed, well spoken gentlemen. Others don't seem to see him. Is he the demon or how she is perceiving the demon? Also, interesting that she had some sort of power to break the girl's leg that was roughing her up during the lacrosse game.

I have absolutely no idea what is going on with the organ harvesting, but it's pretty creepy. Maybe the demons are planning something for the pope's visit?
nsguy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-16, 10:47 PM   #10
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Quote:
I didn't realize there were two. Is someone other than Casey possessed?
I don't that. But, Father Marcus said there were more demons present. That's what I'm going by.

Quote:
She's seeing what seems to be a well dressed, well spoken gentlemen. Others don't seem to see him. Is he the demon or how she is perceiving the demon? Also, interesting that she had some sort of power to break the girl's leg that was roughing her up during the lacrosse game.
Did Casey break that girl's leg or was it the old "gentleman" whispering forever in her ear? I think he's the devil -- but I could be wrong. At the very least, it's a demon and I think he's appearing to her as someone who she would trust or be drawn to.

« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »