Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > Star Trek: Discovery - CBS/All Access Sunday

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 01-16-18, 04:44 AM   #131
Dark Side Of The Moon
Pushes the Button

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - CBS/All Access Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoFraggins View Post
This show repeats a lot fewer things than Voyager and Enterprise did and the Orville does.

I'm sure it does, but I didn't last more than 2 episodes on those. At least I still intend to watch Discovery, unlike the other Star Treks. Just gotta wait til my time is more manageable. Until then, I'd rather watch only my must see shows... along with one other show I'm watching just cuz, well, don't ask.
Dark Side Of The Moon is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-18, 02:12 AM   #132
Zaphod of Whiskers
We are the dreamers of dreams
Stares Down Smokey

Location: You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

Tossing in my two cents here. I've watched all the Treks in the different forms (including the animated series and all the movies, read some of the books - yes geek). There's good, there's bad. Discovery is batting extremely well in its first season compared to the others - I don't know if its top, but for me it's in the top 3. I think repeats of stories are inevitable - I thought I read somewhere there are basically like 12 different basic plots ever, and everything is variations on those (anybody else heard that??)

I Reached inside myself And found nothing there
To ease the pressure of My ever worrying mind
All my powers waste away I fear the crazed and lonely looks
The mirror's sending me these days
Zaphod of Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-18, 07:48 PM   #133
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Can't believe no one mentioned the huge reveal within this episode.
Spoiler: Wow!
Lt. Ash Tyler is actually Voq, the Klingon.

I remember Dr. Culber mentioned after his initial exam of Lt. Tyler, that his skeletal structure had been change. His bone marrow was also changed. I had no idea what he was saying, but he didn't get a chance to finish before Lt. Tyler killed him by breaking his neck.

Initially I thought he was being manipulated, telepathically, by the female Klingon prisoner, but now we know what's going on. Great reveal!

Apparently, I'm a bigger Trekkie than I thought I was, because this episode was stupendous.

You're right, ZoW, the first 14 minutes, before the opening credits, was magnificent.

Another great reveal, was that of the Emperor. I didn't see that coming, but I've wondered since the Pilot, was this the beginning and end of Captain Philippa Georgiou (Michelle Yeoh).

Also loved how the plots of the mirror universe are completely reversed. The Terran's (Humans), are bad and all of the other species are good. Loved how all of the non-humans (Vulcan's, Klingon's, et. al) are able to work together toward a common goal. Defeat the humans!

FF, it may've been very telling, when Michael told Lorca about her new orders. Kill everyone on that planet, and he thought it was a good idea. Yeah he used the idea that anything else would bring about suspension, but did he let his guard down and show his true self?

Can't imagine what "this" universe's Sarek thought when he did a mind-meld with Burnham. He saw himself and his wife raising Michael Burnham like a daughter. But, he didn't say word other than say her heart was pure.

Then, all HELL breaks loose when Michael and Ash make it back to the Shinzhou (spl).

He finally realizes who he is, and grabs Burnham to kill her, but is thwarted by Saru. Man-o-man, does he have strength or what. Threw Ash/Voq across the room.

Then, for Burnham to use his "death" to pass along the plans to the Discovery was great.

Again, loved every minute, but I'm beginning to think loving this series is normal for me.
Old 01-20-18, 06:17 AM   #134
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

I found the reveal to be very confusing and didn't really care what it meant exactly TBH.
FrodoFraggins is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-20-18, 06:36 PM   #135
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

S01E12 - "Vaulting Ambition"
Sunday - January 21, 2018
CBS/All Access - 8:30e/7:30c/5:30w

Spoiler: Promo & Episode Description

Burnham heads to the ISS Charon with a special "gift" for the Emperor. With the help of an unexpected source, Stamets gains clarity while trapped inside the mycelial network. Saru asks for L'Rell's help. Source
Hodgepodge is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-18, 07:53 PM   #136
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Well, well, well! There's been speculation in this thread and I've even pondered the idea. It was put to rest with the ending scenes of this magnificent episode.

That reveal explains so much of what's been happening since we met Capt. Lorca. Why he went out of his way to find, and then bring Michael Burnham on board the Discovery.

How he came upon the "spore-drive". Why he made Lt. Stamants do so many jumps. I mentioned how he didn't care about members of his crew, now we know shy.

It also explains why he was going to kill the Admiral if she'd tried to replace him as Captain of the Discovery.

Loved the palace/flagship of the Emperor. Loved every minute Michelle Yeoh (the Emperor) was on screen. Almost had to , along with Burnham, when she found out the Kelpien she pointed out when she arrived, was part of the dinner she shared with the Emperor.

Thought the initial meeting between Burnham and the Emperor really showed off the acting chops of both Sonequa Martin-Green and Michelle Yeoh.

This is a person Burnham had nothing but respect for. Valued her mentorship. Truly loved her like a mother.

Then, to find out, in the mirror-universe, that's exactly what she was to the Emperor. Her adopted daughter. I was mesmerized!

Didn't expect the Emperor to expose the romantic relationship between Burnham and Lorca. Which led the Emperor to believe Burnham brought Lorca back to continue their plot to bring about a coup.

Emperor planned on executing Burnham in front of the whole court, when Michael decides to come clean. I didn't know how she was going to get out of this jam, but I didn't expect her to tell the truth.

Then, we find out, with the help of Capt. Georgiou's Star-Fleet insignia, that the Emperor knows all about the other universe. And, how she decided to keep all of this info to herself, was something to see.

During all of this, Capt. Lorca is being tortured by an individual whose enjoying himself a little to much. Then we find out, Lorca had an affair with this guys sister, and apparently left her worse for wear. Yeah, I knew he was going to escape the torture room, because this guy couldn't make it non-personal.

This episode was chock full of things happening...

Lt. Stamets meets the mirror-universe "Stamets" in his unconscious mind. Apparently, he's also lost within the spore-drive and wants "our" Stamets to help them get out.

Almost forgot! Ash Tyler/Voq is having a tough time of it. He's got both the memories of a Klingon and a Human. Living with them both is driving him . Saru asks L'Rell for help, but she refuses. It was Voq's idea to go thru this transformation, giving up his life as a Kligon, to help protect the Klingon race. Thought Saru's plan to finally get her to help was brilliant.

Very touching moment, when Stamets is reunited with Dr. Culber. Remember, they were lovers before the doctor was killed and Stamets was put into a coma.
Old 01-23-18, 11:22 PM   #137
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

I'm really curious to know what happened to the good Lorca and the bad Burnham.

There's nothing wrong with these reveals having been telegraphed by past episodes. Sure they could have done so a bit more subtly but it's better than just coming up with this stuff out of nowhere.

I'm not likely to rewatch this season but it's definitely better than I had expected it to be. Especially after Brian fuller left the show.
Old 01-23-18, 11:48 PM   #138
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
I'm really curious to know what happened to the good Lorca and the bad Burnham...
According to previous episodes, the mirror-Burnham is dead. I'm trying to remember if there were circumstances given for her death.

I've got a sinking feeling, Lorca took care of "our" Lorca. Just a gut-feeling. Except, mirror-Lorca doesn't leave loose ends.
Old 01-24-18, 12:24 AM   #139
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
According to previous episodes, the mirror-Burnham is dead. I'm trying to remember if there were circumstances given for her death.

I've got a sinking feeling, Lorca took care of "our" Lorca. Just a gut-feeling. Except, mirror-Lorca doesn't leave loose ends.
She's presumed dead but the emperor said that Mirror burnham and lorca were in cahoots so ...

I'm sure we'll find out soon enough
Old 01-25-18, 02:07 AM   #140
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
She's presumed dead but the emperor said that Mirror burnham and lorca were in cahoots so ...

I'm sure we'll find out soon enough
FF, she's got to be alive. The reveal would be awesome.