Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Art & Literature > Literature General Discussion > Gaiman's Sandman GD *spoilers after page 1*

Literature General Discussion A space to talk about your favorite books, series and authors.

Old 06-13-17, 09:23 PM   #21
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Re: Gaiman's Sandman General Discussion

That makes it tempting.

I'll check with the library.
Obv I'm not buying any books until I've finished buying the regular Sandman volumes.

Love is no part of the dream-world. Love belongs to desire, and desire is always cruel.

vonnegut is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-17, 11:27 PM   #22
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

I don't think you would EVER want to buy The Dreaming. You might enjoy reading it though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-17, 08:37 PM   #23
Pi-o-my
Pushes the Button

Oh, yeah, Mr. Mo, I've read both of the Deaths and The Dream Hunters, and (multiple times) Endless Nights. The next up for me in the Sandman cottage industry is "the memory trilogy" that NG did with McKean.

Vonne, of course I Desire to re-read the series but can't, at least til things are less hectic at the House of Pi. Even if Delirium promises to walk the dogs and Destruction says he'll handle the cooking.
Pi-o-my is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-17, 11:54 AM   #24
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

I thought Dream Hunters was exquisite. It wasn't at all what i expected from the title; and i was a bit taekn aback that it had nothing apparent to do with the stories of the earlier books. Once i gave i a fair chance to be its own story, though, i absolutely loved it.

Endless Nights, i don't want to discuss in detail here, because i suspect that you and i (and maybe Mina) are probably the only ones who've read it. I also re-read it compulsively a few times, enough that it stopped producing that single manly tear running down my left cheek. I'll just say that it is connected to a previous story arc that can be viewed as major or minor depending on one's point of view, and that i highly recommend it.

As for this "Memory Trilogy," i'll try to keep an eye out for it, and thanks for the heads-up.

As for the House of Pi, you can always count on Destiny to keep the garden Delightful. Allowing Delirium to walk the dogs... what could go wrong? Destruction makes a great Creme Bruleé, as well as anything Flambé. If he screws anything up, Desire can make your family want it anyway. Dream can entertain any brooding goth teenagers that would otherwise be in the way. I won't wish the other two upon your home. Have fun and say hi to Barnabus!
Quote:
Mo, I you
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

Old 06-18-17, 03:08 AM   #25
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Ok, going to back to Corinthian v. Vampires, just for the heck of it.

You (vonne) have successfully established that that there have been multiple Corinthians. However, each was created by Dream, and my point was that vampires can create more of themselves.

If you were to ask me, "which is cooler, a vampire or the Corinthian?" I would ask, "which vampire?" In nearly all cases, i would say that the Corinthian was cooler. But if you were to ask me, "which is cooler, vampires or corinthians?" I would say vampires.

I think Morpheus would agree. Vampires are, after all, creatures of story, of myth and legend. Therefore they are of the realm of The Dreaming. They have not been unmade. They have not disappointed Him.
Quote:
Mo, I you

Old 06-26-17, 07:37 PM   #26
Pi-o-my
Pushes the Button

Mr. Mo, Gaiman has written a couple of memory-inspired books recently but the ones I hope to get to this summer are from pre-Morpheus days, Violent Cases, Signal to Noise, and Mr. Punch. They’re the “memory trilogy” that Dave McKean said (back before production on Overture began) feed into Sandman.
Old 06-26-17, 07:43 PM   #27
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

I did go ahead and put in a hold for the Death books. The library had both series in one volume.

Love is no part of the dream-world. Love belongs to desire, and desire is always cruel.

vonnegut is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-17, 08:00 PM   #28
Pi-o-my
Pushes the Button

That single volume is the one to get, Vonne. It's got some additional material. And be sure to take a side-by-side look at the P&N version of Sound of Wings and the Death volume's version. The colors (on the same kind of slightly glossy paper) are totally different!
Old 06-29-17, 07:55 PM   #29
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

That sounds awesome. I'll start scrounging for a copy myself.

____

I updated the OP with links to Ness and WartyOne's first-read threads.
Quote:
Mo, I you

Old 07-02-17, 09:54 AM   #30
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

So we were talking about the Endless and their relation with life over on WartyOne's FR thread, including a comment made here... http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...11#post3750511

I'd said that the series wants us to think of life as being more than what a biology textbook definition would give us. In the greater mythology, suns are considered living beings.

So with that broad concept of life in mind, i think Destiny is the only one of the Endless who exists even without life.

vonne mentioned that i might make an exception. I can only imagine she meant Destruction. But Gaiman pushed that broad life concept, so what could be destroyed that didn't apply to that broader concept? I think not even a void exists to be destroyed, until there is, as this series defines it, life.
Quote:
Mo, I you

« MyMedia-Forum.com > Art & Literature > Literature General Discussion »