Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories > + RELOADED

LOST Theories So you think you know some secrets of the island? Maybe you can explain everything. If it's original and you can back it up, we'd love to hear it.

Old 02-17-07, 03:40 AM   #11
marsichs
Pushes the Button

Re: + RELOADED

I 100% agree that this scene was totally reminiscent of Reloaded, and I caught the candy/chestnuts reference (intentional or not) right away.

I also agree that it seems to me a "dream" with the island as host (as the jeweler).

I haven't followed any matrix theories on this site because I thought the writers disavowed them (i.e, they said the island is "real").

The thing about this is - if you DONT believe that Desmond actually experienced this episode in the past, you would logically assume that his future visions are similarly bogus. If you assume this, then you must explain how he knew about the lightning bolt. The only explanation is that the island (or the others) can generate a precise lightning strike!

I really get frustrated with this show sometimes!
marsichs is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-07, 03:46 AM   #12
MagneticLocke
Blew Up the Hatch

Re: RELOADED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMLOSTRU? View Post
I saw the resemblances however, I think that this woman with Desmond, was as Desmond put it his own mind screwing with him. The fact that he has seen this all happen before could result from a more creative theory than the "matrix" called Infinite Regression and/or meta dimension convergence.
I'm almost positive that it actually occurred. I believe it's the very reason why, when Desmond turned the key, Penny discovered the island. It was because of the conversation he had with the physicist about being on the island, the soccer game, etc that tipped off the physicist that what he said had validity and he contacted Penny when Desmond went missing. Then they worked together to come up with a way to find the island.

Otherwise, Penny would have probably been clueless about the island and may have just assumed that Desmond had died at sea.

I also believe it's why Desmond can see "the future" regarding Charlie. I believe that he's turned the key a number of times and every time he has turned the key he's ended up on the island with Charlie and Charlie has died in one form or another. So, in a sense, he's not seeing the future so much as recognizing a pattern.
MagneticLocke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-07, 02:29 PM   #13
yung23
made Damon Lindelof say "Fermions" on TV :P
Hears the Whispers

Location: trapped in an inner product space containing a lattice

Quote:
because I thought the writers disavowed them (i.e, they said the island is "real").
this is one heck of a complicated matrix imo.
although the matrix with neo was all based on neurons firing as he was connected to a computer which fed back sensory data to his brain to simulate being IN the matrix..

I think ours is very different, and it would allow tptb to use the term "real".

imagine if you will, a holodeck around the island.
the holodeck and its grids, are basically a matrix

so our island is in a mutli-dimensional lattice, which behaves as a matrix around the island.

being mutli-dimensional, allows it to cpature and observe the smallest wavlengths of the universe, which allows the WSM to be altered.

its a string theory clifford algebra matrix, now being used to alter matter on the island.

so things are in fact "real", they consist of particles and solidity.

Where desmond was during this reboot remains a hot topic though.

this may have been our first glimpse of a on-real event.

The island could not have been turned into the city just for desmond..

so I get the feeling he might have been in some temp storage area..

possibly loaded into smokey itself during the reboot.. this may have allowed desmond to enter his own memories, which had probably been scanned and sorted as the energy and light show took him apart bit by bit.

then respawning him.

as for the possibility of him actually going back into the past during his trip..

I agree, he may have.

and if he did, it was helped along by the spacetime aspect of the islands lattice.

its a mutli-verse, so travelling back to that time using desmonds memories may have been possible..

I will be back to go down that road soon..

I too think it may have happened..

somehow..

yung23 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-07, 04:49 AM   #14
Sopherocious
Follows the Cable

I agree that the scene with Mrs. H is reminiscent of the scene from the Matrix, but that may be true because both Lost and the Matrix were referencing the Oracle at Delphi in Greece, not because Lost referenced the Matrix.

The function of the Oracle in Homer's "Odyssy" is to get the hero Odyssyus to go on his quest around the world essentially, just as the jeweler, or Lost's oracle sends Desmond on his quest.

Just as the Oracle at Delphi could not actually make anything happen, only prophesize about things, I don't beleive the jeweler has any real power in this sense either. She knows what will happen, but (if her character is in keeping with the Oracle at Delphi) only other people can carry out any actions.
Sopherocious is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-07, 07:19 AM   #15
drabauer
DrHARMony
Talks Backwards

YES This fb is just a return to the Odyssey allegory.
drabauer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-07, 04:23 PM   #16
yung23
Hears the Whispers

it is a VERY good connection to desmond as odyseus too !

this goes well with the Calypso information I posted in my other thread !

nice !

I had never made the Odyseus connection with the oracle before.. its perfect.

Mrs Hawking was Calypso, not widmore ! (I had earlier stated widmore could be seen as Calypso)

Desmonds as Odyseuss..
Penelope his wife..
108 suitors..

Quote:
.. myth.

a poster at ABC had the idea the fourtoes statue may be related to the pillars of Hercules...

Quote:
I was just wondering if the broken statue was a reference to the pillers of hecules, that mabey the island is the island of Calypso that Odysseus washed up on in Homers Odyssey?

so I took a look at how plausible this could be...

Calypso (mythology)

In Greek mythology Calypso (Greek: 'Καλυψώ', 'I will conceal', also transliterated as Kalypsó or Kālypsō), was a sea nymph, daughter of Atlas who lived on the island of Malta. She delayed Odysseus on her island (Ogygia) for seven years. While he was there, she bore him a child named Nausinous. According to Apollodorus her son is Latin. Athena asked Zeus to spare Odysseus of his torment on the island, as he wanted to go to his homeland where his wife Penelope was being harassed by 108 suitors who believe Odysseues to be dead. Zeus sent Hermes, the messenger of the Gods, to tell Calypso to release Odysseus, as Zeus was the Lord of the Gods, she was unable to refuse him, although she wished to. Odysseus eventually returned to his homeland of Ithaca, to be with his beloved wife Penelope who waited for him at home even though Calypso had promised him immortality if he stayed. Some legends say Calypso died as a result of her grief.
See Odyssey.
Homer, Odyssey V and VII; Apollodorus, Epitome VII, 24.

Daughter of Perse

Another Calypso is the daughter of Perse (and hence granddaughter of Oceanus and Tethys) and either Helios or Apollo.
The island of Gozo, part of the Maltese archipelago, has a long tradition that links it with the mythical figure of Calypso.

__

PS..Sophe..

dont you think LOST took the scene from the matrix though ?

the matrix may have been hinting at The Oracle at Delphi, but lost could have composed the scene in some other way to get the Oracle message.

I feel they used that particular scene in the matrix though..

Last edited by yung23; 02-18-07 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-18-07, 06:45 PM   #17
Sopherocious
Follows the Cable

I do see the similarities to the Matrix oracle as well, yes so it could be a nod to the movie, but I feel like the whole Homer/Odysseus connection is so much bigger and more meaningful for Lost than a Matrix connection.

It's been a really long time since I've read the Odyssey, but I'm guessing we will continue to see connections and references all over the place. I like your mythological ideas above and in other threads. I'll be watching to see what else you come up with.
Sopherocious is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-07, 07:22 PM   #18
yung23
Hears the Whispers

check out Ilium.

it's basically my apollo thread added to Homers Odyssey, written by Dan Simmons

Old 02-18-07, 11:14 PM   #19
drabauer
DrHARMony
Talks Backwards

I added a bunch more connections to the Odyssey in the Parallel myths thread, where we have been discussing Greek myth for over a year.
drabauer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-07, 05:43 PM   #20
yung23
Hears the Whispers

I know the Odyssey has been a thread since nearly the beginning of the show, but the calypso stuff was new to me.

and I had not seen anyone link desmond to Odyseus till mav did it in my thread.

Had I known of that thread I would have posted my thoughts in there, but I was trying to show more Apollo proof using Calypso..

Last edited by yung23; 02-25-07 at 01:54 AM.
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories »