Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories > + Was Lost's ending already figured out?

LOST Theories So you think you know some secrets of the island? Maybe you can explain everything. If it's original and you can back it up, we'd love to hear it.

Old 03-28-07, 08:52 PM   #11
bmw8901
Arrives By Sub

Re: Was Lost's ending already figured out?

Thanks for all of the information! Also, Dharma For One, your link at the bottom doesn't work. I was excited to read it.
bmw8901 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-07, 02:01 AM   #12
Dharma For One
Blew Up the Hatch

Sorry, the link works now.
Old 07-28-10, 09:03 PM   #13
StillAngryAboutLost
Arrives By Sub

Re: + Was Lost's ending already figured out?

Dude, Original Poster, Thank you!

Lost ended a couple of months ago now, I was one of the 'angries'. I hated the finale, I wanted answers and I didn't get them....

Several months later, I'm still fuming and every now and then I like to google the search term "lost finale cop out/Lost ending crap" - or some variation to see if anyone actually cottoned on to what really happened only half knowing myself that something was amiss.

I came across this post and it all clicked together! You got it totally right! so here is my take:

When writing a story, no matter how mythological and wacky it is, you still have several laws you must abide by, especially new 'rules' created by the story in question.

I'd like to point a few out:

If 'what happened, happened' HOW did Desmond save Charlie so many times when he was viewing the past from the future in the present?
-bit confusing, but when you understand it its basically the same logic as going back in time aided by the island.

Why did everybody's personality dramatically change during the show?
-most notably Benjamin Linus, manipulator to fearful rodent.
-This isn't bad acting I'm talking about, this is bad writing.

What about Jack falling into the centre of the island, didn't that happen to MiB? Why didn't Jack turn into a Smoke monster? Think they're saving it for the DVD release, get over yourself.

How did they find the plane crash with all of the survivors? they semi-pulled this off with Widmore faked it? why?

What about the stupid afterlife <snip>? If your going to put an afterlife into your show why they hell would you put all the un-realistic, unbelievable crap (smoke monster, time travel, swapping souls, magical powers) into the REAL part of your 'location'.

I reckon J.J Abrams came up with a half decent show about purgatory, maybe with a bit of science. They played it a little too aggressively, got caught out and then CC and DL <snip> all over it.

I wish I had read this post way back when I first started to wonder whether Lost was made up on the spot or clearly defined as I had heard.
It seemed like after season 2 they were reading popular theories from the Internet and going about trying to prove everyone's theories correct using science and logic, Knowing at the end they would simply pop off the old dues ex machina, like we're all idiots.

Turned into a bit of a vent, but hey,

Thanks man, I finally know why Lost finale sucked... They played us the wrong freaking finale!

mod note: We're pg13/14. snipped inappropriate language.

Last edited by sandi; 07-29-10 at 12:01 AM.
StillAngryAboutLost is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-28-10, 10:38 PM   #14
abcdxyz
Blew Up the Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharma For One View Post
But we do know that Purgatory cannot be the answer because where are the good guys and the bad guys? Besides that, any attempt at meaningful conflict would just make the show way too religeous. The Losties who become good ascend to heaven, and the bad Losties are carried away to hell by Smokey. No, not now, not ever.
What really happened is that all the Losties ascended to heaven. . .
Old 07-29-10, 02:10 AM   #15
Jane
Has to go back
Sees Walt

They went with Kisses rather than Explosions. Guess they didn't want to cause an Incident after all!
Old 07-29-10, 02:24 AM   #16
Faraday85
Blew Up the Hatch

Was LOST ending already figured out? No. it. wasn't. How do we know this? Because it involved Planning.
Old 07-29-10, 03:09 AM   #17
lizzo
Game Changer
Blew Up the Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdxyz View Post
What really happened is that all the Losties ascended to heaven. . .
Except for Michael. And Walt. And Ana Lucia. And Miles. And a few others I can't remember right now.
lizzo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-29-10, 05:07 AM   #18
Dharma For One
Blew Up the Hatch

Actually, the on-Island story built to more clearly defined protagonists and antagonists than we've seen before as I surmised. In the finale there was plenty of basic good vs. evil in play which provided the basis for a dramatic and memorable finish.

If the Island was supposed to be Purgatory and the writers moved it to an alternate world, I just saw that playing out mainly as a sort of amusing fan fiction device which also provided a clever way to recapitulate and sum up the various character's developments through the series. So, I had no basic problems with the finale. I enjoyed it immensely. I'm not as keen on other parts of season six though.

Anyway, it made me not want to revisit The Grand Arc-A Lost Story. Lol. If anyone still cares to read it then just pm me.
Old 07-29-10, 08:55 AM   #19
TheBigCat
SOUNDERS...erm...SEAHAWKS FTW
Carries Big Stick

Location: Green Hell, temporarily leased out to the 12th Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillAngryAboutLost
Dude, Original Poster, Thank you!

Lost ended a couple of months ago now, I was one of the 'angries'. I hated the finale, I wanted answers and I didn't get them....

Several months later, I'm still fuming and every now and then I like to google the search term "lost finale cop out/Lost ending crap" - or some variation to see if anyone actually cottoned on to what really happened only half knowing myself that something was amiss.

I came across this post and it all clicked together! You got it totally right! so here is my take:

When writing a story, no matter how mythological and wacky it is, you still have several laws you must abide by, especially new 'rules' created by the story in question.

I'd like to point a few out:

If 'what happened, happened' HOW did Desmond save Charlie so many times when he was viewing the past from the future in the present?
-bit confusing, but when you understand it its basically the same logic as going back in time aided by the island.

Why did everybody's personality dramatically change during the show?
-most notably Benjamin Linus, manipulator to fearful rodent.
-This isn't bad acting I'm talking about, this is bad writing.

What about Jack falling into the centre of the island, didn't that happen to MiB? Why didn't Jack turn into a Smoke monster? Think they're saving it for the DVD release, get over yourself.

How did they find the plane crash with all of the survivors? they semi-pulled this off with Widmore faked it? why?

What about the stupid afterlife <snip>? If your going to put an afterlife into your show why they hell would you put all the un-realistic, unbelievable crap (smoke monster, time travel, swapping souls, magical powers) into the REAL part of your 'location'.

I reckon J.J Abrams came up with a half decent show about purgatory, maybe with a bit of science. They played it a little too aggressively, got caught out and then CC and DL <snip> all over it.

I wish I had read this post way back when I first started to wonder whether Lost was made up on the spot or clearly defined as I had heard.
It seemed like after season 2 they were reading popular theories from the Internet and going about trying to prove everyone's theories correct using science and logic, Knowing at the end they would simply pop off the old dues ex machina, like we're all idiots.

Turned into a bit of a vent, but hey,

Thanks man, I finally know why Lost finale sucked... They played us the wrong freaking finale!
Welcome, great first post. You haven't been hashing it out at this board for the past six years like some of us have, banging your head against a wall until you get annoyed by the squishy sound trying to figure out what's going on, but you made a post presenting some very valid points.

Avatar and sig img courtesy of vincentstuntdbl#23
TheBigCat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-29-10, 10:56 AM   #20
sgtdraino
Keeper of Locke's Luggage
Carries Big Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw8901 View Post
Now, if the writers are changing the plot and it ends up as some 1970's scientific experiment gone horribly wrong, it just doesn't seem as fitting and as grand of an ending to what it once was.
Ah, if only that was the ending we had gotten. That would have been tons better than what we got.

sgtdraino is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories »