Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories > + Ghost Story : Lost Shines

LOST Theories So you think you know some secrets of the island? Maybe you can explain everything. If it's original and you can back it up, we'd love to hear it.

Old 12-19-07, 04:45 PM   #21
yung23
made Damon Lindelof say "Fermions" on TV :P
Hears the Whispers

Location: trapped in an inner product space containing a lattice
Re: + Ghost Story: Lost shines

here are some other shots of the ruins" for you Bob

(I think they may be "Pascals Flats")

and a possible example of the temple soon to be shown...

guess whos temple this is ?

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because what happened, happened" : yung23

"That's pretty cool. You manipulated the physical universe such that Damon Lindelof said the word "fermions" on national television." :#station

"Then I saw thrones, and people seated on them who were given authority to judge."

"These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them...."

Last edited by yung23; 12-19-07 at 04:52 PM.
yung23 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-07, 07:01 PM   #22
jaystao
Seeker of Island Tao
Talks Backwards

I´m kinda on Holliday in Argentina at the moment - and in some ways there is a connection with the spandiards and all that ´mission´ colonization buisness with the natives. I´d just like to say that this is one of the best Pastiche threads I´ve seen - I´ve always liked the shining connections but this thread has taken it to another level. If we place ´the shining´as the base (and remember another movie Évent Horizon was a reimaning of this film), we might come up with some more films and nods to the ghost story theme. Bermuda trianlge type phenomena are essentially ghost stories.

Anyway I´ll be back....
Old 12-19-07, 07:22 PM   #23
yung23
made Damon Lindelof say "Fermions" on TV :P
Hears the Whispers

Location: trapped in an inner product space containing a lattice

have fun jays.

on the topic of natives..

I once worked at The Hudsons Bay Company..

and we had a big poster in the subway line which read..
"We tamed the wilderness"

and the funniest part.. someone (using marker) had written below it..

"and killed off the natives"

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because what happened, happened" : yung23

"That's pretty cool. You manipulated the physical universe such that Damon Lindelof said the word "fermions" on national television." :#station

"Then I saw thrones, and people seated on them who were given authority to judge."

"These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them...."
yung23 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-07, 07:28 PM   #24
Fourtoes
Can you guess my name?
Talks Backwards

The Temple is very interesting.

I've commented in several threads recently about what I think was the significance of the biblical references to the Abrahamic story, especially as referenced directly and indirectly throughout the "Catch 22" episode, but also as inverted in the substitute son sacrificing the father in Sawyer's killing of Locke's dad. What may be especially interesting in all of this and relate to the concept of a "Temple," is that the slaying of Locke's dad occurred in the ruins of the Black Rock.
I'm not a student of Islam, but I believe Muslims closely associate the holy "Black Rock" within the Kaabah in Mecca with the Abrahamic story. His near-sacrifice of his son (Ishmael in Islamic belief) occurred a short distance away in the adjacent Desert of Mina.

However, in Jewish and Christian folklore, the site of Moriah is identified with the location of the later Temple of Solomon.

I'd say we have something rather mythic going on and it will be interesting to see what ultimately is meant by "the Temple."

Last edited by Fourtoes; 12-19-07 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Correct error about Islamic beliefs
Fourtoes is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-07, 08:05 PM   #25
Bob Sacamano
Almost Limitless Energy
Sees Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by yung23 View Post
guess whos temple this is ?
Thanks for the pics, yung. I am going to take a wild guess that the name begins with an "A."
Quote:
I´d just like to say that this is one of the best Pastiche threads I´ve seen - I´ve always liked the shining connections but this thread has taken it to another level.
Dammit jays, I knew you must have been away! These ideas are right up your alley and was hoping to get your opinions about making the first post a little better regarding the pics. Have fun, relax, and I look forward to your comments when you return.

And a great point about bermuda triangle phenomenon. The idea of a ghost story is a lot more flexible than just white sheets floating through a haunted house. A ghost story, naturally, brings in ideas about the afterlife as well as converging past, present, and future timelines, and paranormal themes. At first, the idea of a ghost story on a tropical island seems ridiculous - it's not a location we usually associate with such tales, but as Kubrik proved with his adaptation, you don't need dimly lit, cobweb-ridden corridors to set a ghost story.
Quote:
I'd say we have something rather mythic going on and it will be interesting to see what ultimately is meant by "the Temple."
I agree FT. What do you think about the native structures from a purely archeological standpoint; what do these structures tell us about the Natives?

Last edited by Bob Sacamano; 12-19-07 at 08:08 PM.
Bob Sacamano is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-07, 08:14 PM   #26
blue sunrise
Dork Fu Master
Stares Down Smokey

Is it OK to <squee!!> in the Theories Forum?

Bob, I don't wander in here very often, but your ghost story theory is the one I'm going to watch for as the new season gets under way.

Last edited by blue sunrise; 12-19-07 at 08:18 PM. Reason: left out a word
blue sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-07, 08:16 PM   #27
Fourtoes
Can you guess my name?
Talks Backwards

My pet theory in this regard still points toward a literal following of Lovecraft's mythos. I think we'll see the ruins revealed as the work of some extremely ancient civilization, possibly pre-human and/or extraterrestrial. The Black Rock crew uncovered its remains, and other secrets. Their descendants have merged with what's left over of other elements, like Dharma, that have come to the island over time. But they revere the ruins that were here when they arrived. The island holds the key to vast, forbidden, maddening and ultimately lethal power. Entities like Jacob and/or Smokey are here as a result.
Old 12-19-07, 08:18 PM   #28
Fourtoes
Can you guess my name?
Talks Backwards

By the way....

On the subject of "Ghost Story," I can't help but think of the Peter Straub novel and the film based on that work. An interesting parallel with the conclusion of "Lost" S3 since the woman who becomes the key ghost drowns.
Old 12-20-07, 01:50 AM   #29
Bob Sacamano
Almost Limitless Energy
Sees Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue sunrise View Post
Is it OK to <squee!!> in the Theories Forum?
Oh yeah - this place can use a little enthusiasm - thanks for those kind words. I'm excited that the on Island arc will veer from Dharma and take a mythological turn in S4.

S3 revealed the Dharma Initiative - the stations, the purge, the power structure, the experiments, the sub, the tower, hydra island; most of that stuff is now demystified or blown up. I've always believed that Dharma was a veneer - a few chapters in the story - and the narrative is moving in that direction. Even the baby storyline was marginalized by Richard as Ben's folly.

After S1 laid the groundwork, we got a lot of Science in S2 & 3.
S4 will give us Faith.
And what better place to look for it than a Temple.
Old 12-20-07, 08:50 PM   #30
Bob Sacamano
Almost Limitless Energy
Sees Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaystao View Post
If we place ´the shining´as the base we might come up with some more films and nods to the ghost story theme.
Before Event Horizon, and after it, there was Solaris, another ghost story with some very strong links to Lost.
The apparations produced by the Ocean Planet, Solaris, are just like the Visions in Lost: ghosts manifested from guilty memories.
Quote:
All three of the Solaris stories make the living ocean into an instantiated metaphor for human psychology, showing how Kelvin suffers because he is trying to live through his memories, holding onto unrealistic dreams. Inability to move on after a loss is a form of dishonesty—although dishonesty only to oneself.
Jack and Eko certainly come to mind.

The apparations in Solaris are described this way:
Quote:
We are the cause of our own sufferings. The (apparitions) behave strictly as a kind of amplifier of our own thoughts.
Another film that fits this mold is The Black Hole - with its themes of the afterlife, science vs. faith, and how ESP was used to solve a problem brought on by technology. I bet there are a number of other ghost story films disguised as science fiction.

Rather, a lot of sci-fi films are really just ghost stories set in space. I am pretty sure there is an entire genre of anime that uses this exact formula.