Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories > + PURPOSE OF EXECUTION BUTTON

LOST Theories So you think you know some secrets of the island? Maybe you can explain everything. If it's original and you can back it up, we'd love to hear it.

Old 09-25-05, 05:22 AM   #61
SeattleFilmMaker

Re: Purpose of Execution Button

Honestly, I just cannot agree with the Halucinogen idea. He doesn't shoot it until the building shakes, not before, so it's probably not getting him "high".

Don't forget, Jack doesn't exactly get to see a whole lot besides the icky hallway leading to the main room, and the Lab. It's also VERY dark, and we just don't get into seeing everything. Also, when the music blasts, you can see a brightly lit room behind Jack, down some hallway, and then a second later, there's someone with a light, moving in the background to turn on the floodlight. That place is a little bigger than you might think. At the very beginning, when Desmond turns down the lights, it dramatically changes the mood, going blue. In fact, the sunlight stops coming in through all the windows...curious.

Also, when Desmond is setting the environmental controls and bringing down the lights, you can see the wall across the hall from him, the one with all the lidded plastic buckets and the hastily put up cross beams, the one that has the generator, or whatever it is that's being held back by the wall. It's obviously the same place.

So, I think it's FAR more likely that we're just not being shown the whole thing at the end than Desmond doing an Halucinogen.

-E
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-05, 08:48 AM   #62
Droop
Wasn't on the List

I also don;t understand why Jack would just go up to that computer and decide to press the execute button and if he did what difference would it make if he didn't put in any command before it? So why was Locke worried?
Droop is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-05, 02:28 AM   #63
fatpeoplearefunnier

Re: Time issues

Quote:
Who said there even was a security system??
Rouseau said the "monsters" are a secrurity system. Of course we don't know if what she says matches the reality.

Quote:
you are all forgetting something important. When jack and Desmond were talking in the stadium Desmond told Jack that he was going on a race around the world. Perhaps the island has some type of magnetic pull that attracts all objects around (like planes and boats) and desmond was stranded here too.
Fascinating theory, but i think he is there on purpose. He looks to darn organized to be shipwrecked.
There was a thread started (but closed by the all seeing post-masters) about the possibility that the island itself is a ship of shorts and that it moves and that is how Desmond is "racing around the world". Allthough the possibilty of the island being a ship seems unlikey, there is something to this thought. I definetly think that his race around the world is directly connected to this stay in the Hatch

Quote:
Locke witnessed Kate being pulled down the hatch/captured and now he himself has a gun pointed at his head-- and his first words to Jack are "I wouldn't do that."
I think that Locke is just playing a game, as usual. Everything is a game to him and pushing the button might might be interfering with the way the game runs. (i don't know in what way)
Old 09-26-05, 04:30 AM   #64
fgggg

The first scene was a flash back..

It was probably several years ago. He was much younger and in good shape. There was a lot of natural light and the place was very clean. There was an explosion he got the guns and got ready for something. He looks into the scope and then the scenes switch.

If you look close after he looks into the scope they show his face his is much older and has a beard and looks very weathered.

The two explosions was meant to distract you from the scene switching.

I'm sure this has been discovered, but I couldn't find it in any other posts.
Old 09-26-05, 07:14 AM   #65
Badger
Turns Purple
Sees Walt

The opening scene had continuity and clearly intended to show the audience the events took place in that timeframe. It was not a flashback.

Desmond got up and went immediately to the computer. After that, he began his workout. The workout was time-compressed meaning we didn't see the entire time he was on the exercycle for example. Nor did we witness the entire time he was in the shower. He made 'breakfast'. Although we didn't see him drink it, it's reasonable to assume he did. He walked over to the turntable, chose an album and put it on. After that he went over to the cabinet and as he was injecting the substance, we heard the explosion and this is key, the record skipped.

The record skipping was to show the audience the explosion caused the record he had just put on to skip, again showing continuity of scene.

Time compression is an often-used technique so as not to bore the audience with frivolous details. We did not need to watch him workout on the exercycle for 30 minutes, drink the shake, take a shower and towel dry, nor did we have to watch the washer and dryer complete their cycles from start to finish.

In addition: analyzing the lot number of a bottle of detergent sitting on a shelf, or anything else for that matter that is barely within the cameras depth of field, if not outside of it, is usually a waste of time and effort.

Seeing the mysterious numbers on the vial was on the other hand an Easter egg that was right in front of us and meant to be seen without much effort. The numbers are a common theme throughout the show and as we all know appear as Easter eggs frequently.

Television shows, even complex character driven mysteries like LOST, are aimed at the lowest common denominator. That is, they don't expect the audience to pick apart insanely subtle minutiae for clues. When they want us to see something, or at least be able to find it they will make it relatively easy, more in your face so to speak.

For instance the mural on the wall: when the camera stops and focuses on something, or a character shines their flashlight on it in order to examine it more closely, it is a hint that it is something worth looking at, a clue.

The general decor of the habitat was clearly intended to be representative of the 70's. That does not mean everything must clearly be from that decade. Obviously, the washer and dryer were not. Again, these were background objects and no attention was given to them.

What appeared to be sunlight was obviously artificial light given the fact he is underground. It was made even more obvious by the fact it turned off or at least dimmed when he turned off the lights after Jack entered the hatch.

Pardon the sarcasm but the last time I checked flipping a switch or moving a dial does not cause the Sun to instantly set.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-05, 09:58 AM   #66
Daan
Pushes the Button

So if the execution button made that thing drag Locke underground, why didnt he react on the dynamite they threw inside?
Daan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-05, 02:15 PM   #67
fgggg

Badger32 you are wrong..it was a flashback.

If you go back and watch there are two portions where you clearly see his face and he is clean shaven. After the explosion, when he is looking into the scope he has a beard and is much older. I agree they compressed the scene to fast forward his bike riding, but I don't think they sped up his beard growing..unless that is the big secret..its all about facial hair. No need to excuse my sarcasm.
Old 09-26-05, 04:51 PM   #68
redsoxgalbeme

re: desmond picks

First of all, there's no evidence that the "security system" and Desmond's computer are linked in that he himself has any control over the people topside. Secondly, it's possible, if Desmond is left behind as a dying breed of "janitors" for this place, that the incoming beeps and signals he receives from his computer are merely the signals to let him know to "execute" code that runs programs on the island. He could have been executing code for the raft sequence that took place at the end of last season's show (that he is really unaware of doing because he only knows how to react to the beeps and signals, not necessarily what is being caused by his actions).

And when Jack saw Desmond, it could have only been at the most 5 years prior to last Wednesday's episode because Jack was not that much younger. So Desmond, if in fact that is the same Desmond, can only have been down there for a handful of years..if he's been there since he first saw Jack on the steps.
Old 06-02-16, 10:25 PM   #69
CormacPaul
Arrives By Sub

Computer Re: + PURPOSE OF EXECUTION BUTTON

Did anyone lese work out that the numbers (4,8,15,16,23,42) all add to equal 108 which is the time limit on the hatch clock. Therefore, since we have seen that when they reset the hatch timer, other numbers are present, and since the dharma initiative is just one massive social experiment (i believe), then surely if they typed in larger numbers, they would be able to leave the computer for longer periods.

Must say I am disappointed they havent cleared this up so far (only of season 5 episode2 on netflix) but them blowing the hatch up kind of eliminates any chance of them clearing this up and I am intrigued as to what would happen if different numbers were 'executed'.

Likewise, we know that the keyboard is completely functional as Michael uses it to communicate with Walt so why didnt people like Locke test this out. Moreover, how is Walt so omniscient and omnipresent?...
CormacPaul is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-16, 02:06 PM   #70
J_C
Hypercreative
Talks Backwards

Re: + PURPOSE OF EXECUTION BUTTON

Quote:
Originally Posted by CormacPaul View Post
Did anyone lese work out that the numbers (4,8,15,16,23,42) all add to equal 108 which is the time limit on the hatch clock. Therefore, since we have seen that when they reset the hatch timer, other numbers are present, and since the dharma initiative is just one massive social experiment (i believe), then surely if they typed in larger numbers, they would be able to leave the computer for longer periods.

Must say I am disappointed they havent cleared this up so far (only of season 5 episode2 on netflix) but them blowing the hatch up kind of eliminates any chance of them clearing this up and I am intrigued as to what would happen if different numbers were 'executed'.

Likewise, we know that the keyboard is completely functional as Michael uses it to communicate with Walt so why didnt people like Locke test this out. Moreover, how is Walt so omniscient and omnipresent?...
Actually, we now know that every time the button was pressed, a kitten was sent to Purgatory.

J_C is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories »