Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > Bull - CBS Tuesday

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 09-29-16, 10:33 PM   #21
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Re: Bull - CBS Tuesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mile monster View Post
...The punch was that the old fashioned lawyer, the biased and almost mysoginistic lawyer was released and the young fellow from the team was called in to do the job, which he did nicely...
I see, and I completely agree.

We've seen this ploy done a million times, and I just didn't call it.

Quote:
...The show was good, but I wonder how it is going to be fresh each week. As Sandi says, the newness will be the psychology, but sometimes that just might feel like I am taking a class Bull is bringing up so much material in that way.
It will be a new case each time, but I already was expecting the show to be exactly like the previous week, and it was.
That's fine for now, and I wonder how the show will stay fresh each week? I'll just have to watch and find out...
I find the premise of the show endearing. Not sure why.

As I've mentioned before, this is nothing more than a procedural, but the way its presented has caught my fancy. Although, I do see what you mean about getting stale.

I'll keep my eyes open for the next few episodes and see how things might/might not change.

Quote:
...I have to say that Weatherly is a new character here.
Hodge, his character on NCIS, Tony DiNozzo, was an agent for a government security group. He was cocky and funny, very good at being an agent and very endearing. He was the part of the show I enjoyed alot
Strange how a series can become #1 throughout the land and its never appealed to me.

9MM, If you get a chance take a look through my "I've never seen an episode" thread.
Old 09-30-16, 01:42 PM   #22
9mile monster
Calls Ann Arbor weekly
Escapes the Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post

9MM, If you get a chance take a look through my "I've never seen an episode" thread.
I will.
Old 10-04-16, 11:35 AM   #23
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Bull will not be on tonight. It's being preempted by the Presidential debate.

Formerly known as clayseason1
sandi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-16, 05:53 PM   #24
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Bull
S01E03, "Unambiguous"
Tuesday - October 11, 2016
9/8c - CBS

Spoiler: Episode Description & Promo

"The murder of a star athlete brings about jury bias when the accused is a woman who publicly claimed he assaulted her. Also: Benny encounters a former flame while working on the case." Source
Old 10-13-16, 12:10 PM   #25
9mile monster
Calls Ann Arbor weekly
Escapes the Cage

I'm getting used to this show and how it works. I know what is happening and can follow it better when Bull is following people on the streets or when the "Hollywood Square" pictures turn up.
It's amazing how a mimic jury can be chosen and not only do they look like the juror, but they have similar thoughts.
When the real jury is chosen, I'm so surprised at the depth that is investigated about the people before they are chosen. I was in a jury once and they did ask me some pointed questions, the defendant had a closed head injury that made him act in a certain way. I had worked in a hospital with CHI people and said that, hoping I'd not be chosen, but I was.

The girl was able to surpass her anxiety and panic attacks to help herself. Self preservation.

This show is frightening to me because............ I always thought the goal of the trial was to deduce who actually was guilty. Well, I am learning otherwise here. The lawyers' goal is to win their case no matter what. It feels like the real truth of the trial is to determine who is the stronger lawyer, the better lawyer. Jury manipulation to affect the outcome? Yes, I feel that is what Bull and his team is doing. I'm getting a distinctively bad view of the criminal system now.

However, the lawyer on Bull's team did a great job. What the juror said, he does his homework, is exactly what I was thinking at the same time. He was prompted to be a better lawyer to show off in front of this woman he's attracted to. (Lawyer manipulation by Bull) The short guy was good, but the woman was not. She was mean and pulled quick short jabs at him. I think in the end he saw her that way, but he'd have a roll with her any day.

The mangled number count, a magical little trick. Good to get that out their. It works.
Old 10-13-16, 12:35 PM   #26
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Quote:
This show is frightening to me because............ I always thought the goal of the trial was to deduce who actually was guilty. Well, I am learning otherwise here. The lawyers' goal is to win their case no matter what. It feels like the real truth of the trial is to determine who is the stronger lawyer, the better lawyer. Jury manipulation to affect the outcome? Yes, I feel that is what Bull and his team is doing. I'm getting a distinctively bad view of the criminal system now.
Well only the rich can really afford someone like Bull and I don't believe that in real life, something like Bull's set-up would do much pro bono work. That said, there are jury consultants that are just a one or two person team and the defense attorneys in criminal cases who use them will roll the cost into what they are charging their client. And the prosecution uses them as well, I believe.

I think a consultant can be a good thing if they can determine who has a bias or prejudice which will prevent a person from being fair and open-minded. That's not manipulation -- that's giving a person a fair trial and isn't that what our system is supposed to do?

Another thing this episode did was point out responsible journalism or the lack of which happens a lot these days, IMO. Too often only the parts of a story that are sure to be sensational and attract viewers are reported. We never get the whole story any more, IMO.

I'm enjoying this series and its fresh approach to the procedural aspect of it.

Old 10-18-16, 06:48 PM   #27
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Bull
S01E04, "Callisto"
Tuesday - October 18, 2016
9/8c - CBS

Spoiler: Episode Description & Promo

"A young woman fights a drug patent lawsuit, forcing Bull and his team to visit a small Texas town that was the sight of the only trial loss of his career." Source
Old 10-20-16, 12:09 AM   #28
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

This was a fun episode!

You know I had to check and see if Texas really was a mecca for patent litigation. Seems it is. LINK

So, Bull has to use a different psychological approach in order to get a favorable result for his client. According to Bull, the jury would be on the side of whatever lawyer they liked the best. So Bull chose a very likable local attorney and it didn't even matter that he had never tried a case before a jury before.

It was astonishing to me how little the legal aspects of the case meant to the jury. They really did decide issues based on which attorney they liked the most because that was equivalent to which attorney they trusted the most. It led to some interesting presentations.

I loved that Bull set the plaintive's attorney up. She had someone steal the team's research and Bull's notebook while she kept them busy drinking. But Bull was one step ahead of her -- he knew she would do that -- so everything in his notebook was a set-up including the list of experts they intended to put on the stand.

The plaintive's attorney spent hours preparing to shred their experts but the only expert Bull had for the stand was the client. So even though, Bull passed out and spent the night without his pants in a cow pasture, he managed to win the day and out-maneuver the plaintive's attorney.

I got the impression that Bull and that attorney were serious about each other back in the day. Was that the case?

Old 10-22-16, 12:06 AM   #29
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
...It's amazing how a mimic jury can be chosen and not only do they look like the juror, but they have similar thoughts...
This is nothing more than a procedural series, but for whatever the reason, I truly enjoy it.

I'm sure my enjoyment has everything to do with the "backstage" portion of the series. Everything that goes into that final verdict.

Quote:
...This show is frightening to me because............ I always thought the goal of the trial was to deduce who actually was guilty. Well, I am learning otherwise here. The lawyers' goal is to win their case no matter what. It feels like the real truth of the trial is to determine who is the stronger lawyer, the better lawyer. Jury manipulation to affect the outcome? Yes, I feel that is what Bull and his team is doing. I'm getting a distinctively bad view of the criminal system now...
We all think the same way, 9MM.

You may go into a trial looking for the truth, but that may not be what you get in the end.

As you mention, truth is what the lawyers can prove or give the perception of truth to a jury. That's why we read everyday about someone being released from prison, after serving years and years, because evidence was tampered or left out of a case. We hear about DNA evidence exonerating someone on a regular basis. Again, after serving many years in prison.

In this case, until Bull told the other lawyer to look into the dead guys friends and his coach, I thought the girl was going to tell everyone she really did kill him.

ETA: What was the name of that movie that ended the same way? With the guy on trail admitting he really did it.

Last edited by Hodgepodge; 10-22-16 at 12:09 AM.
Hodgepodge is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-16, 12:42 PM   #30
9mile monster
Calls Ann Arbor weekly
Escapes the Cage

I was on vacation and now have got much re-watching to do. Looks like you've all enjoyed what's been going on.
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »