Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > What I think is going on... > Explaining LOST

What I think is going on... Speculate to your heart's content, new ideas and old. Let your imagination run wild!

Old 08-24-14, 01:45 AM   #1
L8O1S5T
Blew Up the Hatch

Send a message via MSN to L8O1S5T
Explaining LOST

Quote:
Edit: Here's what I've done so far with The Timelines page of the website.
Alright. Haven't been able to do much these past couple weeks. Work sucks! So I'm just going to lay it all out for you guys. Macromedia is being weird with the website. Taking up a lot of time.

There are lots of eye references within the show. Two eyes. Two timelines. Two timelines being shown to us simultaneously as if it is one consecutive timeline. This is why there appears to be many inconsistencies. Not every episode showcases an eye But that's what the inconsistencies are for.

I'll give you some brief examples to give you the idea.

The Pilot episode opens with Jack's RIGHT eye. The timeline we are witnessing on the island is the Right timeline. Both wings are intact lying on the beach. The right engine is intact.

BUT in A Tale of Two Cities we're shown Juliet's and Jack's LEFT eye. In the on island flash-back, the plane's left wing breaks off and the right engine explodes!

Now what about Bernard's ring around Rose's neck? In the Pilot episode (on island), she's wearing it. But in Jack's flash-back, she isn't... There is two scenario's for this one. The more simple answer is that all three flash-backs take place in the LEFT timeline. Bingo. RIGHT - Ring. LEFT - No ring.

Walkabout. We're shown Locke's RIGHT eye. Not only do we see Rose wearing her husband's ring but Kate claims to be a vegetarian. In the flash-back to the episode just before (Tabula Rasa), she is eating meat. And for haha's, Ray tells us he's a "lefty". Vegetarian RIGHT, meat-eater LEFT.

White Rabbit. Charlie doesn't swim. And Jack's flash-back shows us his RIGHT eye. In this "side", Jack doesn't have what it takes and he's afraid he'll fail. He says this on the island which makes me think the on island portion is the RIGHT side as well. So if Charlie doesn't swim in the Right, he will in the Left (Greatest Hits). Charlie tells us he's champion swimmer of some sorts. Can't swim - Right. Swim - Left.

Another haha moment is showing Jack at the ticket counter. Everyone appears to Jack's Right. But the episode just after (House of the Rising Sun), everyone appears to Jack's Left. We're shown Sun's LEFT eye on the island but due to this haha moment with the ticket counter and perhaps other clues that I haven't gotten to. The flash takes place in the LEFT as well.

Raised by Another. We're shown Claire's RIGHT eye in an on island dream. The flash-back doesn't show anything but it does tell us that Malkin is a psychic here and Claire's mother is certainly alive. BUT yet in Par Avion, which interestingly showcases both sides (RIGHT on island/LEFT flash-back), Claire's mother has been in a coma prior to her boarding flight 815! RIGHT - Not in a coma. LEFT - Coma.

Outlaws. We're shown Sawyer's LEFT eye both on the island awaking from his dream and in the flash-back. On the island, Hurley tells us that Charlie shot Ethan four times. But yet, in the episode just before (Homecoming) we're shown Charlie shooting Ethan six times!

It honestly goes on and on through out the entire series. Like Ben's painting of his mother. It's a picture of a young woman in certain episodes and an older woman in other. We're then shown that she died during his birth but yet he makes a comment to Jack that he learned to read from his mother...

On and on and on. And it all matches up to the eyes and inconsistencies.

To sum it up.

LEFT eye - Events that take place in the left timeline.
RIGHT eye - Events that take place in the right timeline.
BOTH eyes - Events that take place in both timelines but don't allude to either left or right events.

Last edited by L8O1S5T; 08-25-14 at 01:55 AM.
L8O1S5T is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-14, 01:53 AM   #2
L8O1S5T
Blew Up the Hatch

Re: Explaining LOST

About the Sideways

Quotes from Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse:

Question: Is there a relationship between Island reality and sideways reality? Will they run parallel for the remainder of the season? Will they fuse together? Might one fade away?

CUSE:
…the questions you’re asking are exactly the right questions. What are we to make of the fact that they’re showing us two different timelines? Are they going to resolve? Are they going to connect? Are they going to co-exist in parallel fashion? Are they going to cross? Do they intersect? Does one prove to be viable and the other one not? I think those are all the kind of speculations that are the right speculations to be having at this point in the season.

LINDELOF: For us, the Sideways were a hugely exciting thing for us to be doing but also it’s divisive as well. I think people are saying, “We’re beyond this. We don’t need these stories.” All we can say is they are absolutely, 100% necessary to tell the story of Lost and hopefully by the end of the season, it will be more obvious as to why.

Clearly not obvious given this next quote…

(2012 Interview with Josh from The Verge about the ending of LOST.)
JOSH: It felt like the answer was all of the things that just happened didn’t really mean anything. They kind of didn’t happen. That was my take away from it.

LINDELOF: What do you mean they didn’t happen?

JOSH: It was like all of the things that happened. All these things that were set up. You know you’ve got to stop the Man In Black because of X,Y, and Z.
LINDELOF: Sure.
JOSH: Uh… It didn’t matter.
LINDELOF: Right.
JOSH: Well only because it wasn’t real.
LINDELOF: Yes it was.
JOSH: Well but not really. I mean it was like a shared fantasy. I mean it didn’t seem like there was like…
LINDELOF: No.
JOSH: So the things that were going on the island were happening in the actual world?
LINDELOF: Yes.
JOSH: So they were happening in our timeline?
LINDELOF: Correct…
JOSH: …In the real world. Not in this kind of moment before death fantasy world where everybody is trying to find each other to go to heaven.

LINDELOF: …From the moment that he closed his eye, all that other stuff that we did in the sixth season of the show; the Flash-Sideways where nobody knows each other and the plane never crashed. That is… whatever your interpretation is. I’m not going to talk about what our intention is.But that’s what you would define as not having happened. Or happening. But everything that we ever showed you. Anything that takes place on the island in Lost, happened.

(LINDELOF: I don’t want to ruin the mystery and ambiguity of the show in terms of talking about our intention.)

I’m not going to talk about what our intention is.”

Interesting choice of words are they not? Because clearly the majority of LOST fans think the Flash-Sideways is a purgatory like limbo world. A meeting place before they go to “heaven”. That’s what a lot of the fans feel it alludes to. But clearly, it’s not… if that’s not what their intention is… So this means it wasn’t “obvious” as to why the Flash-Sideways was absolutely 100% necessary to tell the story of LOST… And it’s funny because with the amount of LOST fans out there theorizing and paying attention to almost every detail, they let the most obvious one slip by.

CUSE: We did have some concern that it might be confusing kind of going into the season. To clear that up a little bit: The archetypes of the characters are the same and that’s the most significant thing. Kate is still a fugitive. If you were to look at the Comic-Con video, for instance, that now comes into play. There was a different scenario in that story. She basically blew up an apprentice plumber as opposed to killing her biological father/stepfather. Those kinds of differences exist, but who the characters fundamentally are is the same.

LINDELOF: And we don’t use the phrase “alternate reality,” because to call one of them an “alternate reality” is to infer that one of them isn’t real, or one of them is real and the other is the alternate to being real.

So the Flash-Sideways is real… and just as important as the flash-backs and flash-forwards but if so, than that means the Flash-Sideways is Not a purgatory like limbo world because that would not be real. “That’s what you would define as not having happened.”

So why Flash-Sideways?

Has it dawned on you yet?

The Flash-Sideways exists beSide the original timeline. It co-exists (exist at the same time or in the same place). It runs parallel to the existing LEFT & RIGHT timelines. That’s why the Sideways is just as real and important. That is why the characters archetypes are the same. That’s why who the characters fundamentally are is the same. This was a plot device to do something unique by having Oceanic 815 land safely while filling in the gaps to the original LEFT & RIGHT timelines.

There's also always been this back and forth with what Kate did or didn't do. In Born to Run, she says "Yes. I was on the plane -- with the Marshal. Yes, I was wanted and caught and being transported back. No matter what I say about what happened -- about what I supposedly did -- I'm going to jail. "

She's alluding that she's innocent. There's also been this back and forth with what Kate did and avoiding answering it until we got What Kate Did.

If we take the flash-sideways characteristics and apply them to the mirror imaging of the rest of the series. Kate is innocent in one (RIGHT) and guilty in the other (LEFT). Sawyer is a con-man in the LEFT. A detective! in the RIGHT which gives a new aspect to things when you see that he took the Marshall's badge in the Pilot (RIGHT) episode. Did he really think it was just cool? Or was there some sentimental value there?

Same thing with Hurley, we're shown the bad luck side of things the majority of the show but in one he is lucky and in the other, he's cursed.

This goes for everyone. Two Sides. One is light. One is dark.

But there is no solid proof that outright tells us this except to pay attention to the details. The eyes. The discrepancies. Like I said before, they’re showing two timelines simultaneously as if they’re one consecutive timeline.

So in the end, WE DID GET ANSWERS. They were just cleverly hidden within this LEFT & RIGHT paradigm.

So the next question becomes. Why and what does it mean?
Old 08-27-14, 12:25 AM   #3
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

Interesting , I'm looking forward to reading where this is going. I hope it has more meaning to it than the very tenuous relationships our characters have to their famous namesakes. Are the Left/Right Eye timeline discrepancies consistent through all the seasons, or was this something that was started by JJ and then Darlton went their own way?

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*
Mr. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-14, 12:35 AM   #4
L8O1S5T
Blew Up the Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bill View Post
Interesting , I'm looking forward to reading where this is going. I hope it has more meaning to it than the very tenuous relationships our characters have to their famous namesakes. Are the Left/Right Eye timeline discrepancies consistent through all the seasons, or was this something that was started by JJ and then Darlton went their own way?
It's definitely consistent through out the series. It continues all the way into the flash-sideways. As for who's idea it was and the meaning, I wouldn't know. I will add more as I go.
Old 08-28-14, 03:24 PM   #5
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

Hmm, seems that our Lost contingent has disappeared.

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*
Old 09-02-14, 05:08 AM   #6
Bob Sacamano
Almost Limitless Energy
Sees Walt

It's the End of an Error [sic].
Old 09-02-14, 08:51 AM   #7
actfaqs0
BANNED
Wasn't on the List

Nice plot...but could have ended better..
actfaqs0 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-14, 08:34 AM   #8
ramashok
BANNED
Arrives By Sub

ramashok is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-14, 03:36 PM   #9
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by actfaqs0 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramashok View Post
There's a glitch in the Matrix.

There's a glitch in the Matrix.

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*
Old 09-06-14, 12:58 AM   #10
L8O1S5T
Blew Up the Hatch

So what are people's thoughts on this? Honestly. Tons of views but no responses. I am only really allowed to work on this on the weekends so I will try and add to it tomorrow and Sunday. Feel free to contribute if you desire.