Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > Vonne Watches Television - Hannibal (post 945)

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 01-22-18, 05:26 AM   #981
Dark Side Of The Moon
Pushes the Button

Re: Vonne Watches Television - Hannibal (post 945)

I forgot about the clock. Such a great moment.

Crawford is the muscle. He's a bright guy in his own right but he's in over his head with all these nutjobs.

You watched a full season already? Must have been a short run.

Things ramp way up over the course of the next two seasons. There are times, like most shows, Hannibal gets a bit... I can't even think of the word... full of itself perhaps, but there are so many individual, utterly fantastic and horrifying scenes and subplots that it's truly must see tv. Now that you're fully involved, strap in. The ride has just begun.
Dark Side Of The Moon is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-18, 05:30 AM   #982
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

Hannibal's shrink is complicated. I'll leave it at that. The people making the show have a deep love and respect for characters and the books.

The acting is indeed excellent.

I'm curious which portrayals of lecter and will are most consistent with the books. Do you have an opinion there?
FrodoFraggins is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-18, 05:31 AM   #983
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
I forgot about the clock. Such a great moment.

Crawford is the muscle. He's a bright guy in his own right but he's in over his head with all these nutjobs.

You watched a full season already? Must have been a short run.

Things ramp way up over the course of the next two seasons. There are times, like most shows, Hannibal gets a bit... I can't even think of the word... full of itself perhaps, but there are so many individual, utterly fantastic and horrifying scenes and subplots that it's truly must see tv. Now that you're fully involved, strap in. The ride has just begun.
I refer to those moments as self indulgent but I'm not sure if that's accurate. I feel that way all of the time with regards to David Lynch and occasionally for Brian fuller.

I was shocked at how much blood was shown in the very first episode and was so happy that the network gave it three seasons.
FrodoFraggins is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-18, 10:35 PM   #984
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoFraggins View Post
Hannibal's shrink is complicated. I'll leave it at that. The people making the show have a deep love and respect for characters and the books.

I'm curious which portrayals of lecter and will are most consistent with the books. Do you have an opinion there?
Hmmm.

Hopkins is definitely iconic and I love what he did with it. But Mikklesen is also doing fantastic.
Mikklesen's extreme calm / dead-effect may actually be closer to what I envisioned from the books.

vonnegut is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-18, 12:50 AM   #985
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
This is fun. I had forgotten much of the story innards. Good stuff.
I concur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
The acting is just really, really good.

But I'm also enjoying how this is clearly not a "true" prequel, but is so reminiscent in directing/writing/staging to both the books and the movie (down to Will Graham living with a bunch of stray dogs, etc).
In the final scene, Will gets off his bunk and says "Hello, Dr. Lecter" in a perfect Anthony Hopkins "Hello, Clarice" imitation. Good stuff.
*nods* it has truly great moments, too. I particularly liked that one. It was like a mirror or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoFraggins View Post

I completely agree with the first two points.

I think the show does a far better job of portraying Will than the movies did. I also think the show brings across a Lecter that's a little closer to the books than Hopkins, but i'd also say that there was absolutely nothing wrong with Hopkins' portrayal, and so so many things about it were so so right.
Quote:
Mo, I you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
I am not allowed to rob a liquor store anymore because I met my own personal Jesus.
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-18, 02:58 AM   #986
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

So I watched the first three episodes of S2 without posting (I may or may not be attempting to get some planning work done while watching, since I did f*-all during the snow days as far as planning).

The trial started and then came to an abrupt halt with Lecter being SUPER theatric with the judge.
Not to mention sending an ear
And doing some other murders just for the hell of it, and some other ones to try to save Will.
I *love* that, by the way. How he literally set it up to put Will there, and is now pulling strings either to save him or to f* him over in some more subtle way. I am still not entirely sure how much his feelings towards Will are genuine or an act.

Lecter's shrink dumps him and then whispers to Will "I believe you." !!!!! I want to know her abusive-patient story, really bad. It seems apparent that it was an Abigail like situation-- he sicced a patient on her, then saved her or watched her kill him or something, to enter into Unholy Alliance.
I'm going to miss her talking about Lecter's "Person Suit"

I do like the hallucinations of Lecter as the gray deer-man. Because that's super easy symbolism. It looks demonic, plus it represents, with the horns, the first time Will encountered Lecter, with that copy-cat kill of the girl impaled on the horns.

Will just suffers beautifully. I'm glad he's coming back to his right mind, though.

Bloom has started to get annoying with her insistence that Will's just crazy.

Crawford is distracted with wife dying.

Oh, and we had skin-color-eye-art guy.

Old 01-23-18, 03:48 AM   #987
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

S2E4.

Will FINALLY FIGURED OUT that Hannibal is eating people. SERIOUSLY FINALLY. HOW MANY PEOPLE CAN HE FEED TO YOU BEFORE YOU REALIZE.

So he puts Forensic Chick on the trail, and she promptly breaks into Lecter's murder dungeon.
NEVER BREAK INTO LECTER'S MURDER DUNGEON, YOU WILL BECOME DINNER.

Nice to get confirmation that Lecter was encouraging/feeding Will's mental breakdown and seizures and all.
Even nicer that Will is getting his memories back.

Honeybunny-the-Beekeeper was kind of funny. A little heavy-handed with the Bella therapeutic suicide attempt.

Old 01-23-18, 04:05 AM   #988
Dark Side Of The Moon
Pushes the Button

LOL at your reactions. Awesomeness!

_

Last edited by Dark Side Of The Moon; 01-23-18 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-24-18, 03:17 PM   #989
Dark Side Of The Moon
Pushes the Button

Quote:
The trial started and then came to an abrupt halt with Lecter being SUPER theatric with the judge.
Not to mention sending an ear
And doing some other murders just for the hell of it, and some other ones to try to save Will.
I *love* that, by the way. How he literally set it up to put Will there, and is now pulling strings either to save him or to f* him over in some more subtle way.
I remember thinking that one of the reasons for setting up Will might have been Double Jeopardy. I don't recall if that was ever a point in the show but how brilliant is it of Lecter to frame Will the way he has and then manipulate the trial. How many nights does this guy lay awake thinking and planning his strategy?
Old 01-24-18, 11:44 PM   #990
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

I didn't watch last night because tired.

I will a bit tonight.

« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »