Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > The Crown - Netflix

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 12-09-17, 12:12 AM   #21
nsguy
Cons the Conman

Re: The Crown - Netflix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bill View Post
I'm interested to see who they cast as J.F.K., I'm sure he'll play a significant role since we are now heading into the 60's. I'd imagine we'll see the Beatles clones at some point, lol.
It's been announced who's playing JFK. I'll spoiler tag just in case.

Spoiler: JFK
JFK is being played by Michael C. Hall, probably best known for playing Dexter. I'm going to reserve judgement on this until I see it.
Lithgow turned out to be fantastic as Churchill so I'm going to try to keep an open mind even though I'm not sure that I like the casting choice.

Here's an article including an interview with Michael C. Hall about the role, sounds like they're going to show a bit of the dark side of JFK.
nsguy is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-17, 01:08 AM   #22
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

Too bad William Devane isn't 30 years younger, he's the closest I've seen to portray John and particularly Robert. He's got that accent, too.

Spoiler: For Trolls' Eyes Only

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*
Mr. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-17, 01:23 AM   #23
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsguy View Post
It's been announced who's playing JFK. I'll spoiler tag just in case.

Spoiler: JFK
JFK is being played by Michael C. Hall, probably best known for playing Dexter. I'm going to reserve judgement on this until I see it.
Lithgow turned out to be fantastic as Churchill so I'm going to try to keep an open mind even though I'm not sure that I like the casting choice.

Here's an article including an interview with Michael C. Hall about the role, sounds like they're going to show a bit of the dark side of JFK.
I saw the clip of JFK and I'm not really buying the actor in the role. I think Jackie is more properly cast. Anyway, I don't think it will detract much from my enjoyment.

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*
Old 12-09-17, 04:40 PM   #24
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

I watched the first three episodes and they haven't missed a beat. Just amazing.

Spoiler: Episodes 1 -3
The first three episodes completes a mini-arc that includes the Suez Canal crisis and fallout in 1956 and covers a six month period of marital issues and the beginnings of a scandal in the Royal Family. Everything is shown in detail from Nasar's Egypt to the Royal Yacht. Just excellent.

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*
Old 12-13-17, 08:51 PM   #25
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

Episodes 4,5 and 6.

Spoiler: Episodes 4,5,6 spoilers
Episode 4 focused on Prince Margaret's new love interest. I believe the Queen is Ok'ing her marriages no matter who Margaret brings home, out of guilt over the last major debacle with Townsend. This episode was pretty soapish to me but there were some interesting moments. The photographer's disdain for the Royalty is equally matched by Margaret's, and I think he definitely has ulterior motives.

Episode 5 focused on a local critic who wrote a piece that was critical of the Royal Family and how inaccessible and uninspiring the Queen was to her people. This person ultimately opened up accessibility to the Royal Family, who begrudgingly accepted the recommendations and entered into the modern world. All of them, particularly the Queen Mother and Philip as they were looking through the window at the "little people" visiting the palace , lamented about the end of Monarchy.

Episode 6 was a mixed bag for me. I really enjoyed the history regarding the Marburgh Files and it was wonderful seeing The Duke of Windsor, King George and Churchill again, but the Billy Graham segments really underwhelmed me.

As head of the Church of England, doesn't the Queen have some duties related to it? We've never once seen her in that capacity. To show her reaching out to Billy Graham really missed the mark for me because it completely overlooked her own church and her relationship to it. I would have preferred to see some kind of comparison to understand her need to look elsewhere.

But what a wonderful history lesson regarding the Duke of Windsor and his relationship with the Nazi's as related to the Queen by Tommy Lascelles in his own unique way - "Shall I continue?", and the conclusion to the episode was just awesome. What perfect timing for a face-to-face with the Queen.

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*

Last edited by Mr. Bill; 12-13-17 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-13-17, 09:27 PM   #26
Lawboy
Widmore Corp. Hatchet Man
Sees Walt

I finished Ep8 last night. And I think it was my favorite one so far this season. It just seemed to hit the right emotional tones. And the history backstory was great. The Queen, Jackie O and JFK. Behind closed doors, JFK was a mess.

Ep7 is my least favorite, mostly because it is a massive outlier with the rest of the series. Like way out there in TV-MA land where the rest is not. I think they tried to make some point about Margaret and her boho life and husband way too much and too it farther than they needed to. I was disappointed with that because I really like Matthew Goode. And Vanessa Kirby is great as well. Just the raunchiness was more than was necessary for this show, and the tone this show has taken in every other episode. Like I said a massive outlier.

Give Life, Be an Organ Donor.
http://www.pkdcure.org http://kidney.org

Last edited by Lawboy; 12-13-17 at 09:29 PM.
Lawboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-17, 06:48 PM   #27
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

Spoiler: Epidsodes 7, 8, 9
Episode 7, I'm sure Margaret will blame Elizabeth if her marriage breaks up... "you should have told me!" Margaret has access to the same "intelligence" if she'd ask, so there's no blame except herself. I don't blame Elizabeth for washing her hands of it.

Episode 8, Jack Kennedy was miscast, but he wasn't the focus and the long shots were more convincing, so it didn't detract. I wonder what the source was of that second awkward meeting between Jackie O and Elizabeth in Windsor Castle? Jackie admitted that both she and Jack were routinely injected with cocktails of amphetamines before social functions. Not surprising, though.

Episode 9 focused on Charles entering the same school in Scotland that Philip attended with many flashbacks of Philip's school days. I really liked this episode, particularly the attention to detail given to pre-war Germany in the 30's as the Nazi's took hold. It was sort of a sympathy piece for Philip. I respect what he went through and overcame in school but not how he turned out, as he's shown in the series.

Charles experiences were very different than his father's in that school. Philip learned to fly despite losing half of his family in a plane crash, but trying to put fear into Charles by flying through turbulent weather, I guess to make him conquer his fear as Philip conquered his, made Philip out to be a total ass.

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*

Last edited by Mr. Bill; 12-18-17 at 06:23 AM.
Old 12-18-17, 03:37 AM   #28
brdmom
Not bird, not bored...
Carries Big Stick

I just finished watching Ep. 3, and my goodness, Philip isn't shown in any kind of positive light, is he? What a whiner baby. "I'm stuck in a prison." Yes, because you can't do whatever you want because you are married to the Queen of England. Geez, what a jerk. Poor Elizabeth.

However, how the world has changed during the time of the Queen's reign. Divorce was such a scandal in the 50s, and now she has given permission for her grandson to wed a divorcee. (And if you believe the magazines, the Queen quite likes her!)
brdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-17, 01:27 AM   #29
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

There are a few moments that I sympathize with him but overall Philip is portrayed as a complete ass.

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*
Old 12-25-17, 03:13 PM   #30
vincentstuntdbl#23
stuntdog
Escapes the Cage

IMHO - The Crown is really well acted and written.
However, Liz deux didn't exactly have the most exciting reign in England's history.
If they make another (after making us plod thru 6 seasons), they might wanna consider Liz uno.
vincentstuntdbl#23 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »