Follow us on TwitterAdd us on Facebook
Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Westworld > Westworld: TV series as related to Original Movie

Westworld Welcome to our Westworld forum!

Old 10-09-16, 05:11 PM   #1
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Westworld: TV series as related to Original Movie

I recorded the original movie, Westworld, last night. It was late and I fell asleep before being able to watch the whole thing. But, in the beginning, I did notice that the Delos Travel Agency seemed to be the "owner" of the Westworld vacation packages. Now maybe they were just the provider -- a go between -- but I thought I would mention it at this point, in case anything is said in the show.

ETA: Here's a link to the movie's transcript.

Westworld Movie Transcript LINK

There are a couple of HBO sponsored Westworld sites concerning Delos -- one is called Westworld: A Delos Destination.

I originally thought that Dr. Ford as the creator was the owner and maybe he is, but maybe he isn't. I don't know how that plays into the following conversation between Sizemore, the writer and Cullen, the cigarette smoking department head.

LEE SIZEMORE: Listen! A changing of the guard is long overdue. I just wanted you to know that you have my support and ... that I know that the corporation's real interest in this place goes way beyond gratifying some rich assholes who want to play cowboy.
THERESA CULLEN: And here I thought you were only good for writing depraved little fantasies. You're right. This place is one thing to the guests ... another thing to the shareholders, and ... something completely different to management.

So, I'm wondering where Dr. Ford comes in as far as management? owner?

Formerly known as clayseason1

Last edited by sandi; 11-01-16 at 02:19 PM. Reason: added transcript link
sandi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-16, 01:56 PM   #2
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Re: Westworld: TV series as related to Original Movie

I finished watching the original movie and I'm wondering about something. Richard Benjamin plays Peter Martin, the only known survivor of the Westworld break-down many years ago. He winds up setting the Gunslinger (Yul Brynner) on fire, killing him. The Gunslinger was dressed in black and was relentless.

Fast forward to the tv series. It has been mentioned there was a critical failure 30 years ago. It seems reasonable that this critical failure is referring to the time and events from the original movie.

The Man In Black (Ed Harris) has stated that he has been coming to Westworld for 30 years and we learned in episode 2 "Chestnut", that the MIB gets whatever he wants from management. I'm wondering if our MIB is the sole survivor from the critical failure 30 years ago -- Peter Martin.

And it seems reasonable to me that management agreed in settlement to give him a free pass to Westworld for as long as he lives. So, that's why he can afford to visit so often for 30 years.

Thoughts?

Old 10-10-16, 06:14 PM   #3
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

I used to have nightmares of being chased by down a dark corridor by Yul Brynner's Gunslinger in the original film. His chrome irises are what really freaked me out when I first saw this film as a kid. I hope the new gunslinger (Ed Harris?) is just as scary. I'm looking forward to watching the new series.

Spoiler: For Trolls' Eyes Only

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*

Last edited by Mr. Bill; 10-11-16 at 06:13 PM.
Mr. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-16, 02:17 PM   #4
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Here's a transcript of the original movie, in case anyone is interested. I'll also link it in the first post of this thread.

Westworld Movie Transcript LINK

Old 11-01-16, 02:31 PM   #5
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bill View Post
I think William is supposed to be the Richard Benjamin character of the original film, but come on, Benjamin's character was a straight arrow, but at least he knew how to have a little fun. William is just boring and I'm hoping that he will eventually stand up for himself.

I believe Logan is supposed to be the James Brolin character. Brolin's character was a little more adventurous than Benjamin's, but very likable. Like Logan, Brolin's character was a WW guest before and acted as Benjamin's guide to the world. However, unlike the Brolin character, Logan is completely detestable (not to the extent as MIB, but getting there), and I wouldn't mind seeing some payback by the robots. It's not so much in the way he treats the robots, but it's the way he treats William. I think it was brought up in the show that Westworld brings out the real person.
I, too, noticed the similarity in the Brolin/Logan and Benjamin/William characters and the way their story-lines begin. There are differences -- like Benjamin does have sex with the saloon girl that first night, but William doesn't have sex with the saloon girl, Clementine. But these tv characters' demeanor and relationship seem to mirror those movie characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
This comment made me remember something from last nights episode. Logan exchanges his gun for one of the Hosts. I'm curious how this is going to end up affecting the series.
Something I remember from recently watching the movie -- Brolin tells Benjamin that the guns are the control when shooting at robots or people. The gun will only kill robots. That's not what he said exactly but that's the gist of what he meant.

Old 11-01-16, 03:27 PM   #6
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Also ...

In the original movie, the orientation video dated Westworld's time-frame as 1880. Here's what it said.
Quote:
Video Voice
Western World is a complete re-creation of the American frontier of 1880.
Here it is possible to relive the excitement and stresses of pioneer life to the fullest.
Western World is a life of lawless violence, a society of gun and action.
In S01E05 Contrapasso, William and Logan (along with Dolores) enter the city of Pariah. There they run into Confederados.
from S01E05 Contrapasso
[A group of people emerge from a side street. A number of women, hands tied, are being led along the street by some mean-looking men dressed in old Confederate uniforms. They're carrying whiskey bottles and some appear drunk.)
WILLIAM: Who are they?
LOGAN: They call themselves "the Army of New Virginia." Everyone else calls them "the Confederados."
DOLORES ABERNATHY: My father told me about them. Ex-Confederate soldiers that refused to surrender after the war. Now they work as mercenaries below the border.

So, Westworld time-frame in this story arc is after the Civil War post 1865. It could very well be circa 1880.

Old 11-01-16, 04:26 PM   #7
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandi View Post

. . .

Something I remember from recently watching the movie -- Brolin tells Benjamin that the guns are the control when shooting at robots or people. The gun will only kill robots. That's not what he said exactly but that's the gist of what he meant.
The guns were apparently "battery powered" in the original film., or at least the sensor. It's been a while, but I remember that the when gunslinger's rifle finally stopped working and it had a flashing "low battery" signal. My take is the sensor that determines human from non-human shut down and disabled the gun. I guess Yul was able to override the sensor, but it probably still needed battery power to operate the gun.

We still don't know how the guns in the current show work and I think that should have been explained to us by now.

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*
Old 11-02-16, 12:53 AM   #8
yung23
made Damon Lindelof say "Fermions" on TV :P
Hears the Whispers

Location: trapped in an inner product space containing a lattice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bill View Post
The guns were apparently "battery powered" in the original film., or at least the sensor. It's been a while, but I remember that the when gunslinger's rifle finally stopped working and it had a flashing "low battery" signal. My take is the sensor that determines human from non-human shut down and disabled the gun. I guess Yul was able to override the sensor, but it probably still needed battery power to operate the gun.

We still don't know how the guns in the current show work and I think that should have been explained to us by now.

I'd still like to know/ discern the difference between MIB "not" getting shot.. same with Wyatts group versus William and Logan.. and other Guests.. if we've even seen other ones get shot..

yung23 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-16, 01:53 AM   #9
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by yung23 View Post
I'd still like to know/ discern the difference between MIB "not" getting shot.. same with Wyatts group versus William and Logan.. and other Guests.. if we've even seen other ones get shot..
We did see William get shot in Ep 3 and it left a bruise. I guess it's like getting shot by a paintball (never have, so I don't know.) It seems like it doesn't even leave a mark on MIB, or maybe he got used to it. I looks like Wyatt's group of hosts have been modified by someone. I wonder if they can kill humans?

What I also don't get are the knives. If someone pushes a knife-wielding host into a human, what happens? Does the blade turn to rubber?

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*

Last edited by Mr. Bill; 11-02-16 at 01:55 AM.
Old 11-04-16, 03:44 PM   #10
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

The bordello in Ep 5 reminded me of Medieval World in the original film. The hall that Dolores walks down to find the psychic looks especially dungeon-like.

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Westworld »