Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > Mr. Bill's Re-watch of Breaking Bad (First-Watchers Welcome)

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 01-30-18, 06:12 PM   #21
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Re: Mr. Bill's Re-watch of Breaking Bad (First-Watchers Welcome)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bill View Post
Back to the pilot briefly, that last scene where Walt was literally laundering the money (nice foreshadowing), I assume it was to remove the smell of phosphene gas? I'm not sure if that is a standard practice for money laundering thieves and the origin of that term.

eta: yes Google is our friend..

I read that the origin is that the mafia used to buy up laundromats to co-mingle their illegal profits, so "money laundering" is most likely just a metaphor.
As far as I know, it's called "laundering" because you are "cleaning" dirty money as in making the non-legit into legit.

I seem to remember a scene in Ozark where they had dryer-bags of bills going through the dryer to make it look older and more used, though, so maybe this is a common trope.

vonnegut is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-18, 01:17 AM   #22
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
I figure that the kids lived on the property with the "cow house", as Jesse puts it.
Thanks for all the kind words, Mr. Bill. And that ^^ is a great catch, i'd missed the connection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
I am not allowed to rob a liquor store anymore because I met my own personal Jesus.
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-18, 10:29 AM   #23
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

The final song chosen for this episode as the kids find the gas mask in the desert is incredible, "The Hole", by Glen Phillips. Some of the lyrics are so appropriate to the hole that Walt and Jesse find themselves in. Another foreshadowing of future events.

We sometimes stand
And linger at the edge
We like to dare each other
How close that we can get
And there's a pact we made
If one should fall the other follows in

Spoiler: For Trolls' Eyes Only

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*

Last edited by Mr. Bill; 01-31-18 at 05:22 PM.
Mr. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-18, 03:48 AM   #24
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Watching ep 1.

Quote:
Pilot

First, Teachers need to be paid a lot more than they do!... let me get that out of the way.
Damn straight we do.
Particularly considering that we need a Master's Degree (generally). It's one of the least paying jobs for the amount of expensive education it requires.
One thing you can say about teachers, no one is in it for the money

Quote:
I really felt Walter White's humiliation when one of his students he reprimanded drove into the car wash in his daddy's Porsche and Walter had to detail his car.
SO PAINFUL.

I like how it's followed up by him trying to close the glovebox of the car and failing. So much failing in episode 1. Then clumsily handling the gun, then the Awkwardest Handjob. All after frickin veggie bacon.
Ep1 definitely is painting him as a doofy loser. What makes this show what it is, for me personally, is the character development. It's like this should be shown to anyone who writes, as a "how to develop a character" class.

Quote:
Walter's DEA agent brother-in-law, Hank Schrader (Dean Norris), comes off as a complete goof-ball clown in the pilot but man do they develop his character as the seasons progress.
Another example. I feel like Hank is really being shown as a crass semi-douche-bag, which DOES stay true throughout the show, but what develops is how we are forced to like him, almost against our will. When I know a show is good, is when I'm rooting for two opposing characters at the same time. I want Hank to figure it out, and I want Walter to fool him, simultaneously.

Quote:

Jesse Pinkman ... former student and "Captain Cook" with a pinch of chili powder to spice it up. Love Jesse Pinkman and his "Cow Houses".
Cow Houses WHERE THE COWS LIVE

Quote:
I love the way this episode was book-ended, beginning and ending on the nearby reservation and all parts in between were 36 hours prior leading up to it. I guess standing out on the road in your underwear would come in second place on the humiliation meter.

What are your thoughts?
I remember when I first watched, I thought that the opening scene was a far flash-forward, like that it would be half a season before we got to that point. But this show moves SO FAST. Chemistry is Change.

And, I don't think standing on the road in the underwear was a humiliation. It was almost an empowerment.

Old 02-01-18, 05:56 PM   #25
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Watching ep 1.

I remember when I first watched, I thought that the opening scene was a far flash-forward, like that it would be half a season before we got to that point. But this show moves SO FAST. Chemistry is Change.

And, I don't think standing on the road in the underwear was a humiliation. It was almost an empowerment.
Yeah, I see your point. I was thinking about the innate fear of how we'd like to be last remembered and it was probably the last thing on his mind in this situation.

I'm going to go ahead and move on to S1E3, ".. And the Bag's in the River".
I'll post my thoughts later this evening so if anyone has comments on the prior episodes or Ep 3, please post away.

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*
Old 02-02-18, 06:52 AM   #26
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

S1E3 ...And the Bag's in the River

We start off with the morbid juxtapostion of Walt cleaning up the remains of Emilio and reminiscing about the chemical makeup of the human body when he worked at chemical lab with his co-worker /ex-lover. That last .04% must be the soul she says.. There's nothing but chemistry here, he responds as he leans over to kiss her.

Marie is such a Klepto, isn't she? She immediately jumps to the conclusion that Walt Jr. is smoking pot and reaches out to Hank to try to "scare him straight". Love Hank's mult-tasking ability, calmly talking to Marie on the phone while taking down baddies. Business as usual.

A big scuffle happens between Walt and Jesse because Jesse told Krazy-8 personal details about Walt. Walt's uncontrolled outbursts and arrogance are responsible for most of the mayhem in this show and we see it here. "We flipped a coin, it's sacred" as Jesse takes off and leaves Walt to take care of business in the basement.

My favorite part of this ep ... Hank takes Jr. to the "Crystal Palace", a seedy rathole motel of meth-heads and prostitutes to scare him straight. Here we meet Wendy.

Spoiler: Wendy
Can't stop her theme song from playing in my head in one of the best montages of the series, lol

It's hilarious that Jr. is smiling through the whole thing while experiencing that scene. Not sure what he's thinking the whole point of this is, but his response.. Cool! lol.

I do feel that it was too much of a coincidence that Jesse happened to be at the motel with Wendy during Hank and Jr.'s tour. Is Albuquerque that small? The Crystal Palace must be the only place in town.

No we get to my least favorite part, the whole drawn out scene of Walt trying to get to know Krazy-8. "Sell me". Beginning in the previous episode, I was wondering how many "last meals" of bologna sandwiches Walt was going to give him. This could only end one way, so it was sort of cringe-worthy as it dragged on. Krazy-8 puts on good act but I couldn't believe Walt actually bought it, up to the point when he found that there was a missing piece of the broken plate in the trash.

Walt killed Krazy-8's cousin, he was going to initially shoot Walt in the desert, and surely after Walt taught him his cook recipe. So it was sort of pointless. Yeah, it showed Walt has a bit of humanity left but it was a foregone conclusion that Krazy-8 was done.

Hank and Gomez are investigating the cook site and we find out that Krazy-8 was an informant. They take a bag of Walt's super-meth and the gas mask for analysis. I think the police officer holding the gas mask was a Tribal officer, different uniform. Outside police agencies have no jurisdiction and have to have cooperation from the Tribal police on reservation land.

It ends with Walt finally telling Skyler about his cancer.

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*

Last edited by Mr. Bill; 02-02-18 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-02-18, 04:03 PM   #27
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

I actually do like Krazy-8 and I believe he was truthful about his background and education, but of course it was a ploy to get Walt on his side.

Spoiler: BCS
It's great that he makes an appearance in the prequel, "Better Call Saul". I like the actor and I hope they explore his background a bit more.

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*
Old 02-02-18, 05:21 PM   #28
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Great recap, Mr. Bil! I'll try to get my recap and notes posted asap.
Quote:
Mo, I you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
I am not allowed to rob a liquor store anymore because I met my own personal Jesus.
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-18, 11:32 PM   #29
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

Thanks Mr. Mo! Looking forward to your insights as always.

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*
Old 02-03-18, 04:52 AM   #30
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

So I've been stealth-forcing my husband to watch this show.

When it comes to spare time, he's a gamer and I'm a reader and show-watcher. But, my laptop is out in the laundry room, which is the smoking room of our house. So, to smoke a cigarette, he needs to come into my domain. And, if I have something interesting playing on my laptop, he tends to get hooked into it. That's how I've gotten him to watch Supernatural, Agents of Shield, Vikings, The Walking Dead, etc. Most shows, he just catches episodes here and there, whenever he happens to be out here in the laundry room, because I binge shows really hard and just watch a lot. But, for Breaking Bad, I just pause when he goes back inside, and start it whenever he comes out, so that he isn't missing anything. While not seeming like I'm doing it.
Doing it this way is roughly putting us on a pace with this thread. Finished episode 2 and did episode 3 so far tonight.

I will try to insert his reactions as we go, because he's really fun as a first-watcher.

Quote:
S1E3 ...And the Bag's in the River

We start off with the morbid juxtapostion of Walt cleaning up the remains of Emilio and reminiscing about the chemical makeup of the human body when he worked at chemical lab with his co-worker /ex-lover. That last .04% must be the soul she says.. There's nothing but chemistry here, he responds as he leans over to kiss her.

Marie is such a Klepto, isn't she? She immediately jumps to the conclusion that Walt Jr. is smoking pot and reaches out to Hank to try to "scare him straight". Love Hank's mult-tasking ability, calmly talking to Marie on the phone while taking down baddies. Business as usual.

A big scuffle happens between Walt and Jesse because Jesse told Krazy-8 personal details about Walt. Walt's uncontrolled outbursts and arrogance are responsible for most of the mayhem in this show and we see it here. "We flipped a coin, it's sacred" as Jesse takes off and leaves Walt to take care of business in the basement.
COIN FLIP IS SACRED.

So much time in these early episodes spent building up Jesse's over-the-top character.
As much as this show is the evolution of Walter White, I feel like it's equally the evolution of Jesse Pinkman. Seeing him at this point breaks my heart. Walter's development is an epic, a perfectly timed and scripted portrait of descent, the Study of Change. It's so big and slow and overpowering.
But Jesse's change is much more intimate and real and thoughtful, because it doesn't have the sense of devolution. He's already pretty low. It's not a steady slope-intercept formula of falling. Instead of descending, he simply... twists on the line.

Quote:
My favorite part of this ep ... Hank takes Jr. to the "Crystal Palace", a seedy rathole motel of meth-heads and prostitutes to scare him straight. Here we meet Wendy.

Spoiler: Wendy
Can't stop her theme song from playing in my head in one of the best montages of the series, lol

It's hilarious that Jr. is smiling through the whole thing while experiencing that scene. Not sure what he's thinking the whole point of this is, but his response.. Cool! lol.
My husband was laughing his ass off at this scene, and I was loving it. Hank is so crude and clueless.

Quote:

I do feel that it was too much of a coincidence that Jesse happened to be at the motel with Wendy during Hank and Jr.'s tour. Is Albuquerque that small? The Crystal Palace must be the only place in town.

No we get to my least favorite part, the whole drawn out scene of Walt trying to get to know Krazy-8. "Sell me". Beginning in the previous episode, I was wondering how many "last meals" of bologna sandwiches Walt was going to give him. This could only end one way, so it was sort of cringe-worthy as it dragged on. Krazy-8 puts on good act but I couldn't believe Walt actually bought it, up to the point when he found that there was a missing piece of the broken plate in the trash.

Walt killed Krazy-8's cousin, he was going to initially shoot Walt in the desert, and surely after Walt taught him his cook recipe. So it was sort of pointless. Yeah, it showed Walt has a bit of humanity left but it was a foregone conclusion that Krazy-8 was done.
Here we disagree... the conversation with Walt and Crazy-8 was by far my favorite part of the episode.
I like how this show does sound, and during that conversation you FELT the silence of the pauses. Those silences had weight. Everything was so still, while Walt struggled with who he was. Maybe it wasn't necessary for the plot, but this show is so much more than plot. I wouldn't have been able to accept Walt just going down and killing him.
But, one of the fun things about rewatching, as soon as he fell and broke the plate, I immediately remembered what would come next-- him fishing the pieces of the plate out of the trash and putting them together like a jigsaw puzzle. "No. No. No." It was very fun watching Jason watch that-- as soon as Walt backed up and started taking pieces from the trash can, he says "OH, the guy took a piece of plate, didn't he?"

Regardless, with the speed at which this show moves, I'm totally into taking a silence-heavy interlude where Domingo and Walt sing a late-night commercial jingle together, and Walt struggles to contemplate ending a life.

Quote:

Hank and Gomez are investigating the cook site and we find out that Krazy-8 was an informant. They take a bag of Walt's super-meth and the gas mask for analysis. I think the police officer holding the gas mask was a Tribal officer, different uniform. Outside police agencies have no jurisdiction and have to have cooperation from the Tribal police on reservation land.

It ends with Walt finally telling Skyler about his cancer.
Jason: "How are you going to end an episode like that? Come on."

And then he lit another cigarette to watch the next few minutes of the next episode.

« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »