Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Sports > Sports Discussion > NFL Thread Pt. II

Sports Discussion 42! 23! 16! ...wait.

Old 04-19-16, 09:08 PM   #6541
TheBigCat
SOUNDERS...erm...SEAHAWKS FTW
Carries Big Stick

Location: Green Hell, temporarily leased out to the 12th Man.
Re: NFL Thread Pt. II

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup View Post
I guess the Rams learned nothing from the Redskins.

It's a P.R. move. really.
The Rams got all those draft pics for the rights to RG III and still haven't had a winning season in over a decade.

Avatar and sig img courtesy of vincentstuntdbl#23
TheBigCat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-16, 09:16 PM   #6542
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

The Eagles just traded away the farm to get the 2nd pick in the 2016 Draft. Here's the complete story...
Old 04-25-16, 09:55 PM   #6543
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

The U.S. Second Court of Appeals handed down a decision Monday morning that reinstates the four-game suspension of New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady for his connection to deflated footballs used in the AFC Championship Game in January 2015. Here's the rest of the story... Oh Soup, Peggy, Map!
Old 04-25-16, 10:38 PM   #6544
soup
Holds Darlton Under..Forever
Carries Big Stick

Dynomite Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
The U.S. Second Court of Appeals handed down a decision Monday morning that reinstates the four-game suspension of New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady for his connection to deflated footballs used in the AFC Championship Game in January 2015. Here's the rest of the story... Oh Soup, Peggy, Map!
Yes, Goodell is finally vindicated and can now be lauded as the best and finest of ALL commisshes in ALL of pro sports.

Congratulations, Roger, thanks God the Saints and the Patriots have been meted out such just punishments for such awful crimes against humanity.

God I hope the players hold out for a better CBA.
Old 04-25-16, 10:55 PM   #6545
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup View Post
Yes, Goodell is finally vindicated and can now be lauded as the best and finest of ALL commisshes in ALL of pro sports.

Congratulations, Roger, thanks God the Saints and the Patriots have been meted out such just punishments for such awful crimes against humanity.

God I hope the players hold out for a better CBA.
You know Soup, this is the part of Goodell's power that doesn't make sense to me.

If the Courts say Brady didn't do anything, then how can he be punished?

He/they use this phrase, 'things detrimental to the League'. But, if he was acquitted, he's apparently done nothing against the League?
Old 04-25-16, 11:01 PM   #6546
soup
Holds Darlton Under..Forever
Carries Big Stick

Dynomite Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
You know Soup, this is the part of Goodell's power that doesn't make sense to me.

If the Courts say Brady didn't do anything, then how can he be punished?

He/they use this phrase, 'things detrimental to the League'. But, if he was acquitted, he's apparently done nothing against the League?
Basically, the players agreed to a CBA that says "the commissioner can act irrationally or hold grudges, or carry out the unsubstantiated grudges of other petty owners, with little concern for the truth."
Old 04-26-16, 12:15 AM   #6547
Mapinguari
Talks Backwards

Send a message via Yahoo to Mapinguari Send a message via Skype™ to Mapinguari

This ruling leads us to a VERY interesting 2020, when the current CBA expires. The current CBA has no opt out clause, and is ironclad until then.

The NFLPA will NEVER allow that language to carry into the next agreement.
Goodell and the league have no reason to give it up now that it has been affirmed.

Lockout? Strike? Whatever it's eventually called, everyone will blame Brady and the Pats, because Kraft isn't going to fix it this time. Hell, the NFLPA might send Brady in as a player rep. Screw you, Roger. How's that bottom line looking now?

And who knows what might happen between now and then? Goodell can now suspend a player, without proof or basis, for anything he deems detrimental to the league. Integrity? He's basically the one who gets to interpret what that means. That's some broad language in that CBA, and the court just gave it a thumbs up. Two out of four judges saw the unfairness of that. Two others allowed Goodell that breadth of discretion. Naming himself the arbitrator is against the "faith" of the agreement, but by the letter, and be interpreted the way those two judges interpreted it.

It still says nothing of Brady's supposed guilt. I'm still a staunch believer that he did NOTHING, and this has been a witch hunt from Day One. Thing is, the CBA says that if Goodell thinks you should be suspended, you're suspended. Fairness be damned.

The Patriots still win the AFC East, and will still clinch a bye.
See you at the Super Bowl! (Again.)
Old 04-26-16, 01:25 AM   #6548
Peggy Sawyer
Blew Up the Hatch

I'm actually looking forward to the CBA negotiations of 2020 more than the season itself. Roger's power in disciplinarian measures mustn't continue in its current state. By this court's ruling, he essentially does not have to justify his decisions to anyone but himself, and his judgment must be questioned by even the most anti-Patriots owners by now.

It behooves Brady to appeal this again, although I'm sure he's tired of it. Otherwise, the union will have a steeper level of concessions to make if they want to reduce Goodell's authority next round. It will also mean, potentially, holding back Brady's suspension for another season.

Brady does have a fair chance to win this in the end. The CBA allows Goodell disciplinary power in such matters as he "reasonably judges" there are grounds. There are plenty of arguments that there are no reasonable grounds in this particular matter.

This will go down, if it hasn't already, as the most ludicrous scandal in NFL history.
Peggy Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-16, 02:47 AM   #6549
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Goodell agree to the idea of not being Judge, Jury and Executioner in these types of matters? Didn't he say, he wanted to appoint a committee to hear these kinds of cases. But, wasn't it the owners, again, that wanted him to have such power?

Anyone else remember this?
Old 04-27-16, 12:15 AM   #6550
boonian androphile
poet laureate
Hears the Whispers

I stumbled into a moment of confusion and posted this in basketball while Hodge and I were discussing the irrational concept of fans jinxing their teams merely by watching games they lose on their own accord.

Here is the this:

Meanwhile Johnny M has been indicted for assault. Heard it on the car radio. Radio? What's that? Anyway, I think things have gone beyond hoping that he will pull his life together. If this story is true, and he actually struck this woman so hard that she suffered damage to her eardrum, he is simply dangerous and needs a very long time out in a jail cell corner away from substances and his own self-importance. Frankly though I care more about RG3 succeeding at Cleveland than Johnny M. Of course, greedily what I want is an elite QB in Cleveland and a superior supporting cast and defense. And a Super Bowl. I don't ask for much.

plus, after Hodge asked me if I thought JM coming to Cleveland was a big deal:

Not really. From the beginning Johnny M seemed more like a pop star than a football player. Maybe that's a part of Browns inferior complex syndrome where the next big name is the next big solution. I just don't look at sports like that. Oh the Browns aren't starting him? I don't care. Now maybe they should have tried him out earlier??? But maybe they already figured out he was an immature party brat. Regardless, he was simply a bad fit here. Results matter more than showmanship. Play hard. Score touchdowns. Then have a drink Sunday night. Otherwise forget it. Enjoy the bench.
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Sports > Sports Discussion »