Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Music > Band and Artist Discussion > PHISH!!!

Band and Artist Discussion Discuss specific bands and artists right here.

Old 07-15-07, 06:10 AM   #11
truffula
Sharing in the Groove
Squishes the Frog

Re: PHISH!!!

Anyone with Sirius who is interested - Page's last show of this tour is being broadcast live RIGHT NOW on Jam_ON (Ch17).
Second set just started 5 minutes ago.
Old 07-15-07, 07:10 PM   #12
shoop_puveler
Blew Up the Hatch

Phish is one of my favorites. I'm pretty sure I have all the major releases, but I never saw them live, and don't have the patience or money to accumulate the millions of live recordings; but I do have SIRIUS and listen to Ch. 17 (Jam On) all the time, so I get a good dose of the live stuff.

I'm not saying when, cuz who knows, but I bet there's a reunion tour/album in the future for Trey, John, Page and Mike. They're just too good together.
Old 07-19-07, 05:17 AM   #13
truffula
Sharing in the Groove
Squishes the Frog

Alrighty, time for a Phish story.

So many to choose from.....
Lets go with 12.31.94 Boston Garden.

I got my tix at the box office during my first semester at Berklee, went home for winter break (also saw the 12.28.94 Philly Civic Center show while I was home ), and returned for this FIERCENESS.

Having seen 6 nights of the Grateful Dead at the Garden in September/October, I knew what it was gonna be like, scene-wise.
There was NO PARKING LOT for the Boston Garden. At least none that I ever saw in the short time I was in Boston before they ripped out the Garden to make the Fleetcenter (or whatever its called now).
I knew of some spots near campus to park, so we parked there and took the T to North Station.

By the time we got there, the streets were flooded with heads already celebrating the new year. So my friends and I roamed around for a while and drank some beer, ended up running into some of our other friends from Philly who we didn't know were coming (and they also had seats near us, but thats a different part of the story ), partying some more, and eventually made our way inside.

Now it starts to get NUTS.
And I mean that. Seriously. NUTS.

There was ONE entrance where they were letting people in.
ONE.
That was it.

So it was shoulder to shoulder people and little nudges from the crowd to push forward every now and then.
Until.....one of the cops got the bright idea to lie and tell folks that there was a second entrance around back that was now admitting ticketholders.
There was no such entrance. The poor officer was just trying to bide himself some time, and what he got in return was NOT what he was anticipating, I assure you.

When the mob that rushed the back door came rushing back, they were notably pissed. But they had to get through the shoulder to shoulder crowd to make it back to the front of the line to complain to the police for lying to them. And that wasn't happenin.
So what ended up happening instead was, the entire crowd in line was MOVED forward. Slowly. Inch by inch (getting closer and closer to showtime as this was all goin on, so folks were freakin out about that too ).

Next thing I knew I was at the front of the line with a cop with his hand on my chest yelling at me "STOP PUSHING!! STOP PUSHING!!". And I said to him "look at my feet, officer. They are NOT on the ground. I am being pushed beyond my control. I cannot stop this. I'm sorry."

And he dropped his hand and said "Just go".
And we went.
ALL OF US. ALL AT ONCE.
We ran and ran and ran until we found a way into the concourse. We didn't even care what level we were on, we just wanted to be IN after that ordeal.

As soon as we pushed into the doors leading into the arena, the lights went out, and the first set started.

GOLGI!!!!!

I was BLIND.
I could see NOTHING.
My brother and my roommate grabbed onto me and we climbed over seats until we found unoccupied ones just to take our winter gear off.

Needless to say, we got situated and enjoyed the first set from wherever we ended up.

Now, for the rest of the show, we went to our seats. Which ended up being very GOOD SEATS for reasons we did not know yet.
The seats were inbetween a 6 and 7:00 view of the stage, first level, about 7-8 rows off the floor (just above the taper mics).

We rounded up our friends in nearby seats, traded stubs (just in case) and were all set for the night.

Second set - MAZE. 'nuff said.

NYE - the HOT DOG.
When Brad interrupted "My Sweet One" with the "your order is ready" thing, I was like....huh?!? what is goin on here?!?! Next thing I know, 2001.....lights.....explosions.....HOT DOG, FRIES, and a DRINK (with the PHISH logo on them).
I thought that was so cool.
Then they got in the hot dog and it started to rise.
And I lost it.

It came STRAIGHT AT ME.
At one point I thought it was gonna fall on me.
I could almost stand on my seat and jump up and touch the bottom of it, that's how close it was.

After that I danced around for the 3rd set, but I was spent. And nothing they did in the last set or encore was gonna top either the MAZE or the HOT DOG.

After that, I made it a point to see EVERY PHISH NYE SHOW I could possibly attend. And I've seen em all since then, with the exception of the Miami NYE show in 03.

Whew.....that was long winded, wasn't it?
I have many many more where this came from. And I'm sure I'll share more of em.
Old 07-19-07, 05:10 PM   #14
MrSocko
Little Hippie Boy
Sees Walt

Send a message via AIM to MrSocko Send a message via Yahoo to MrSocko

Truff, have you been to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland? The giant hot dog, soda, and fries, are all on display there. I never expected to see a Phish display when I went, and it made me so happy.
Old 07-19-07, 05:28 PM   #15
truffula
Sharing in the Groove
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSocko54 View Post

Truff, have you been to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland? The giant hot dog, soda, and fries, are all on display there. I never expected to see a Phish display when I went, and it made me so happy.
Nope, never been to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, unfortunately. I would very much like to go someday though.
I did know that the Hot Dog, Fries, and Soda are on display there.

However, I did get a chance to see the ole Hot Dog again at the Big Cypress milennium show - I was 5 feet from it when it went by!! (both times it appeared - 94 and 99 - it seemed to gravitate towards me )
I was so close that I hit a big balloon to Page and he caught it and tossed it back to me!!
But that's a whole other story for another day.
Old 10-31-07, 06:32 AM   #16
PhishCake
Up For The Down Stroke!!
Pushes the Button

Here's the story of my first ever Phish show. I live in Vt. Very important side note.

My summer job was bullshtt landscaping deal when I could work as much or little as I wanted. Gorgeous summer Saturday, just got paid and was searching for someone to buy me some beer. Only 19 at the time. Whenever you get paid you take care of the big 3 first. Weed, beer and gas. As I was fiilling up my car, I noticed a VW bus pull up to the quickie mart I was at and a bunch of "my people" piled out to stock up on supplies. I noticed a very cute young lady grabbing some ice, and she must have noticed me checking her out. She also noticed the modest collection of Dead stickers on my ride. She then asks me..."You headin' to the Phish show?"

I had never heard of them, but I had seen some of their bumper stickers...so I smoothly replied. "Spelled with a 'P' ...right?

She informed me that they were playing an afternoon show in Townsend, Vt. 3 sets, starts around 1:00pm. Townsend is a tiny little town and a very scenic 30 minute drive from my hometown of Ludlow. Time ...12:10. Sweet!! As they piled back into th VW she said one of the most prophetic things I'd ever heard and I'll never forget what she said......

"Deadheads say they're the next touring band!"

Really? Gotta check'em out!! Car all gassed up, I now had 2 of the 3 needed things to make this an awesome day!! But I was all alone, gotta find my crew. As I pulled out I drive about 10 car lengths down main street...and there they were. A group of friends hanging out at the other quickiemart in town. As soon as I pull up and roll down my window, My best friend Teddy says ..."Hey man you wanna go see Phish?"

It was meant to be. About 8-10 of us piled into 3 cars ( after stocking up on #3-beer) and took the short trip.

Townsend Family Park was a driving range/mini golf type facility. Plenty of parking for the roughly 300-400 people who showed up. We did the lot thing for a while, drank plenty of beer, found some fungus, as well as other party favors. Having never heard the music, we weren't really in that much of a hurry to get in and some of us missed the 1st set.

Remember how I said I could work as much or little as I wanted. Well I must not have wanted to work that much the previous week and I was practically broke by the time came to actually go in and see the show.
I think it was like $5-$7 bucks to get in. Poor planning on my part-having spent all my cash on goodies. Back then I was young and good looking. (AHHHH the good 'ole days) and the cutie working the gate must've like my style after I flirted with her for 5 mins. Took pity on me and the 1st set had already started so.......she let me in for free. I got to kiss her cheek, and she got to stamp my hand. Yup, my first show didn't have a ticket stub for a memento, a kiss and an ink stamp is what I got.

pretty wasted by now and not familiar with their music, luckily my buddy Otis was going to UVM and had seen them a few times , so I had somebody who knew the names of some of the songs. I remember Fluffhead, contact, slave, trey told a story which was pretty cool. Some Gamehenge stuff Cornel Forbin. I loved how his stroytelling kept everyone..almost involved. Behind the stage/acroos the valley was a huge rock formation/cliff that he worked into the story. They did all of the old school antics. Trampolines, beach balls ( All 4 members had a designated ball they would toss into the audience, and when we would hit the ball, each member would play a note corresponding to whose ball was hit) The last 2 sets kicked ass and I was hooked!!!

I was lucky enough to see them 70+ more times after that. Townsend show next year was huge!! Probly 4 - 5 thousand people, it was obvoius these guys we taking off.

Some of my favs

Clifford ball
great Went
Sugarbush
Nashville w bela fleck
the mansfield 04 shows

god sooo many great times, I never saw a bad show

Last edited by PhishCake; 11-07-07 at 01:52 PM.
PhishCake is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-07, 06:40 AM   #17
PhishCake
Up For The Down Stroke!!
Pushes the Button

Saturday, August 26, 1989
Townshend Family Park, Townshend, VT</B>
  • Set I: Fluffhead, Colonel Forbin's Ascent -> The Famous Mockingbird, Harry Hood, Split Open and Melt, Divided Sky, You Enjoy Myself -> Possum
    Set II: Theme from Andy Griffith, Bold as Love, Ya Mar, Slave to the Traffic Light, AC/DC Bag, Donna Lee, Funky Bitch, Foam, David Bowie
    Set III: The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday > Avenu Malkenu, Suzy Greenberg, Dinner and a Movie, Run Like an Antelope
    Encore: Contact, The Lizards, La Grange

Old 10-31-07, 06:45 AM   #18
PhishCake
Up For The Down Stroke!!
Pushes the Button

My previous story happened many years ago and the details are fuzzy. Why do I remember the Fluff/forbin? If I didn't get in the show 'til late...?
I dunno....but it's all true...as I remember......

Last edited by PhishCake; 11-07-07 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-21-07, 09:59 PM   #19
truffula
Sharing in the Groove
Squishes the Frog

PHISH - "Rift" - 11.16.96

Oh hell yeah.
Old 12-11-07, 05:53 PM   #20
LOSTismylife
Follows the Cable

I saw Phish when they played in Newport, VT in 2004. I didn't know alot about them (and still don't). I have 1 album from them - "Hoist". I think it is a good album, but I am not an expert on the subject.

When I saw them live, it happened by chance. A friend was hired to work on construction of the stage, and as partial payment recieved 2 tickets for the weekend. I think they are great stage performers. According to Truffula's post, "Hoist" is not one of the best albums they have put out, but like I said I think it is good. Music is all about what YOU think about it, and not what everyone else thinks about it.
LOSTismylife is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Music > Band and Artist Discussion »