Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Art & Literature > Literature General Discussion > Warty's Sandman FR - Fables & Reflections

Literature General Discussion A space to talk about your favorite books, series and authors.

Old 06-14-17, 05:15 PM   #11
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Re: Warty's Sandman FR

Again, i think you'll really enjoy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-17, 03:08 AM   #12
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Send a message via ICQ to Warthawg1 Send a message via AIM to Warthawg1 Send a message via MSN to Warthawg1 Send a message via Yahoo to Warthawg1

So... Dreamz is being held in captivity.. for awhile.

He apparently wore a helmet..

Helmet traded by the traitor to Burgess..

Some guy is being cajoled by the universe to some of the stuff Dream would be doing if he wasn't in captivity..

The only issue at all, albeit minor is the jumping around while my logical mind tends to think more linear while looking for a transitional connection.

I wonder if this story is truly intentional or if it is the writer trying to find his unique groove...

Or a little of both...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warthawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-17, 03:22 AM   #13
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

It's really just creating a starting point. It's an important starting point, and most of the rest of the story flows from it. I'd advise not to start sweating the small stuff until you start Doll's House. P&N is important, but it's just the origin story, he's creating plot points that will be used later to explain motives.
Quote:
Mo, I you
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

Old 06-15-17, 03:32 AM   #14
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Send a message via ICQ to Warthawg1 Send a message via AIM to Warthawg1 Send a message via MSN to Warthawg1 Send a message via Yahoo to Warthawg1

Yeah but I am getting some important stuff here:

Sandman can have everything because the main character thrives in a dream world where anything and everything does exist. Where else will you find KFC chicken, Elvis, and Marilyn in the same moment in time?

... And the detail in the artwork... Don't think I didn't notice the mistake made by Alex when he got the wheelchair a little to close.

Old 06-15-17, 04:32 AM   #15
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Quote:
For when you finish with the first issue/episode of P&N:

Spoiler: Sleep of the Just

Yeah... Looking at that pic... Seeing Alex get too close and damage the circle.. that is the level of detail in the artwork to which I referred earlier.

I cought the circle... missed the picture and I'm sure more.

I still dearly love a writers ability to use words to set a mood and paint a picture, but I am developing an appreciation for this literary/visual medium. If nothing else, this experience has
accomplished that.

When I say this experience, I include "The Hedge Knight", because it played a role and without this prompting, that too would have sat on my bookshelf.. funny how that odd purchase two years ago that I never understood came full circle to today.

Old 06-15-17, 06:33 AM   #16
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

It's great that you're paying that much attention to the detail in the artwork, it will serve you well in the long run. And if you're enjoying Preludes and Nocturnes as much as you seem to be, especially on your first read of it, that bodes VERY well for your enjoyment of the whole series, because Gaiman hasn't even come close to hitting his stride yet.

And The Dreaming, oh gods yes... (that's what they call Dream's realm, if you haven't gotten that far yet) The realm is referred to as "vast" but imo the possibilities are literally endless. Just wait until you find some of the most awesome spots in The Dreaming, like the Library, the House of Secrets and Mysteries (and its archetypal residents), the Cave (which has its own resident(s)), and of course the Throne Room. No spoilers there, just teasers.

I already can't wait for you to sink your teeth into Season of Mists.

For a detail-oriented reader, i strongly suggest that you not skip the two Death books, and in fact read them in the order of publication as if they were part of the original Sandman run; with The High Cost of Living directly after Season of Mists and The Time of Your Life directly before The Kindly Ones.
Quote:
Mo, I you

Old 06-15-17, 12:06 PM   #17
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthawg1 View Post
So... Dreamz is being held in captivity.. for awhile.
Yes.

Quote:
He apparently wore a helmet..
He did indeed.

Quote:
Helmet traded by the traitor to Burgess..
*Helmet stolen by the traitor(Sykes), traded to a demon for an amulet to keep the traitor(Sykes) safe from Burgess's supernatural wrath

Quote:
Some guy is being cajoled by the universe to some of the stuff Dream would be doing if he wasn't in captivity..
Yes, but that's not important. One of those failed tie-ins that isn't mentioned again (this is what makes Mo tell you not to read P&N first, even though he's wrong).

Quote:
The only issue at all, albeit minor is the jumping around while my logical mind tends to think more linear while looking for a transitional connection.
It is very jumpy at first, which confused the hell out of me. Not ALL of these details and side-stories disappear after book 1 (the ones that DON'T disappear turn out to be pretty hugely important), but many of them do.

Quote:
I wonder if this story is truly intentional or if it is the writer trying to find his unique groove...

Or a little of both...

Definitely both.

I mean, the main point of this story (Morpheus/"Dreamz" captivity) is the basic, major event from which all plot points and character develop flow.

But, stuff like the superhero tie-in you mentioned above, that's Gaiman stumbling around trying to figure out what story he's telling.
Also keep in mind these are being published one issue/chapter at a time, so he can't go back and edit chapters as he gets farther into the story.

But, by the time you get to the end of P&N, Gaiman finally has figured out exactly what he's doing and exactly where he's going.
And there are some really fun things in the meantime, anyway.

Love is no part of the dream-world. Love belongs to desire, and desire is always cruel.

vonnegut is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-17, 12:08 PM   #18
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthawg1 View Post
Yeah but I am getting some important stuff here:

Sandman can have everything because the main character thrives in a dream world where anything and everything does exist. Where else will you find KFC chicken, Elvis, and Marilyn in the same moment in time?
Yes.
It's not just that he THRIVES in the dream world.
He's the LORD of the dream world. It's his.
So, in that realm, yes, he can have/do anything he wants.
Although, as I think he mentions, he is still weak from captivity, and missing his power-giving items that were stolen from him by Burgess (the helm, the pouch, the ruby). He manages to make clothing for himself, but it really takes effort. It's easier for him to just dip into someone's dream where food is already available for him to take.

Quote:
... And the detail in the artwork... Don't think I didn't notice the mistake made by Alex when he got the wheelchair a little to close.

Love is no part of the dream-world. Love belongs to desire, and desire is always cruel.

vonnegut is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-17, 05:08 PM   #19
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

I didn't tell him not to read P&N first, i said i thought he could get away with reading it second if P&N wasn't immediately available. I said that based on personal experience, as i read Doll's House before P&N, and i'm pretty sure it did me no harm.

It's also worthwhile to mention that the Vertigo label was VERY new. Alan Moore's run with Swamp Thing at that point had really been the only successful comic that was aimed at adults, and its success was a major factor in the creation of the Vertigo label. DC wanted Gaiman to tie Sandman into existing mythlogy, especially Costantine, which was the only successful Vertigo comic before Sandman. Gaiman didn't really have full creative control this early in the series, although he gained it remarkably quickly as the series succeeded remarkably quickly, and a lot of correspondence specifically requested that Sandman knock off the cheesy tie-in crap and allow Gaiman to tel his own stories his own way. (I know the omnibus editions don't carry the letters page, but back when this was still being released issue-by-issue, comics still ran letters pages.)
Quote:
Mo, I you

Last edited by Mr Mo; 06-15-17 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-15-17, 08:41 PM   #20
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mo View Post

For a detail-oriented reader, i strongly suggest that you not skip the two Death books, and in fact read them in the order of publication as if they were part of the original Sandman run; with The High Cost of Living directly after Season of Mists and The Time of Your Life directly before The Kindly Ones.
These are separate things apart from Sandman that I am to interject into the middle of a Sandman novel?

This is getting complicated!

« MyMedia-Forum.com > Art & Literature > Literature General Discussion »