Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > Star Trek: Discovery - CBS/All Access Sunday

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 01-12-18, 07:24 PM   #121
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - CBS/All Access Sunday

I loved this episode as well, guys. It definitely brought back memories of the "original" series, Mirror, mirror episode.

Does everyone remember Spock with that Vandyke?

IIRC, didn't that episode show members trying to get ahead by killing the person currently in the spot they wanted? One of the better Star Trek: Original episodes.

Man, I wasn't expecting Lt. Tyler to kill the doctor. Did he get the command from the Klingon captive they have onboard by mental telepathy?
Hodgepodge is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-18, 08:38 PM   #122
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

I did see an interesting theory regarding the mirror universe but I'll mark it as a spoiler in case it's accurate and people want to see what happens.

Spoiler: potential spoiler
Lorca could be the Mirror Universe version that somehow made it to our universe. I'm not sure how plausible this is as the female Admiral would certainly recognize a difference. Although maybe there was dialogue that already hinted that he had changed since she last saw him.

I'd say this is certainly possible and could explain how he is so different from the rest of Starfleet.
FrodoFraggins is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-18, 11:47 PM   #123
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoFraggins View Post
I did see an interesting theory regarding the mirror universe but I'll mark it as a spoiler in case it's accurate and people want to see what happens.

Spoiler: potential spoiler
Lorca could be the Mirror Universe version that somehow made it to our universe. I'm not sure how plausible this is as the female Admiral would certainly recognize a difference. Although maybe there was dialogue that already hinted that he had changed since she last saw him.

I'd say this is certainly possible and could explain how he is so different from the rest of Starfleet.
First off, speculation has never been spoilerish.

Secondly, I love where you're going with this idea.

Wasn't it Capt. Lorca who came across the entity that gave them this "new" propulsion system? Wasn't he having that other ship's engineer tinker with it, trying to get it to work before he died?

And speaking of that other engineer, what was the name of his ship? We found out from this episode that there's a ship from "this" Universe that somehow found itself in "our" Universe. Could they be one in the same?

FF, you made mention of "our" Admiral. Does your theory answer my question, when Capt. Lorca answered his door with a loaded weapon expecting her to be on the other side. He wasn't going to give up "our" Discovery without a way to find and return to his?
Old 01-13-18, 12:44 AM   #124
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
First off, speculation has never been spoilerish.

Secondly, I love where you're going with this idea.

Wasn't it Capt. Lorca who came across the entity that gave them this "new" propulsion system? Wasn't he having that other ship's engineer tinker with it, trying to get it to work before he died?

And speaking of that other engineer, what was the name of his ship? We found out from this episode that there's a ship from "this" Universe that somehow found itself in "our" Universe. Could they be one in the same?

FF, you made mention of "our" Admiral. Does your theory answer my question, when Capt. Lorca answered his door with a loaded weapon expecting her to be on the other side. He wasn't going to give up "our" Discovery without a way to find and return to his?
well in todays massive internet i have to worry about where speculation I see comes from.

But this theory is based on things we've seen so you're right that it is unlikely to be a spoiler per se.

I know they mentioned a ship called the Defiant that disappeared from our universe and so I just looked it up and it's source is from TOS

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv...ned-Enterprise

As to your question, he definitely is focused solely on this technology and his keeping a gun with him is consistent with what that of the life of a captain in the Mirror Universe. He also didn't view rescuing the admiral a priority after she told him her plans for him. None of those things are consistent with Federation officers.
Old 01-13-18, 06:16 PM   #125
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
I know they mentioned a ship called the Defiant that disappeared from our universe and so I just looked it up and it's source is from TOS

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv...ned-Enterprise...
FF, loved, loved, loved this article.

It even explains how Discovery, which takes place approximately 10 years before TOS, can know about the Defiant.

Quote:
...He also didn't view rescuing the admiral a priority after she told him her plans for him. None of those things are consistent with Federation officers.
I'd forgotten how nonchalant he was about saving the Admiral, who also happens to be his former lover.
Old 01-13-18, 06:44 PM   #126
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

S01E11 - "The Wolf Inside"
Sunday - January 14, 2018
CBS/All Access - 8:30e/7:30c/5:30w

Spoiler: Promo & Episode Description

While in unfamiliar territory, the U.S.S. Discovery crew is forced to get creative in their next efforts to survive opposing and unprecedented forces and return home. Source
Hodgepodge is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-18, 12:28 AM   #127
Dark Side Of The Moon
Pushes the Button

I was really enjoying this show, more than any other Star Trek series since TNG, which is the only Star Trek series I liked enough to wacth consistently. Maybe I like Discovery even more than that. Then episode 7. I think it was episode 7 anyway. That's when they did the old hackneyed time loop/time repeating itself plot device.

Frankly, the episode was still fairly decent given it's incredibly worn out framework. However, for such an original premise, they really blew it for me by using the whole time loop crap bullshit. So disappointed. Stopped watching.

I may finish season 1 come summer but not before then. That stupid crap knocked this show right off my must see list.
Dark Side Of The Moon is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-18, 04:39 AM   #128
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
I was really enjoying this show, more than any other Star Trek series since TNG, which is the only Star Trek series I liked enough to wacth consistently. Maybe I like Discovery even more than that. Then episode 7. I think it was episode 7 anyway. That's when they did the old hackneyed time loop/time repeating itself plot device.

Frankly, the episode was still fairly decent given it's incredibly worn out framework. However, for such an original premise, they really blew it for me by using the whole time loop crap bullshit. So disappointed. Stopped watching.

I may finish season 1 come summer but not before then. That stupid crap knocked this show right off my must see list.
That's too bad. This show repeats a lot fewer things than Voyager and Enterprise did and the Orville does. I just skip thru stuff like that in the Orville if it's boring.
Old 01-15-18, 04:49 AM   #129
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

A decent episode overall but nothing special. I thought her plan was going to be to bring the klingon leader back to our universe. Asking for his secret to allying with others isn't going to do nearly as much as bringing him back would.

It was a bit convenient for Sarek to be there to vouch for her as well. And I must have missed how she explained why the planet wasn't attacked after she returned to the ship.

I'd LOVE for her to bring back save Saru with them but maybe there are problems doing so.

If Lorca is from the mirror universe, it makes you wonder where the real Lorca is.

Last edited by FrodoFraggins; Yesterday at 04:41 AM.
Old 01-15-18, 05:04 PM   #130
Zaphod of Whiskers
We are the dreamers of dreams
Stares Down Smokey

Location: You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

Spoiler: spoilery
agree with FF, ok episode but not great IMO. few things:

1. wish they would have chosen someone else for Emperor.

2. Does Lorca know who the Emperor is? In the reveal they did a cutaway to his face making a face - what was the significance there?

3. If Burnham is going to use Voq to help the peace come about, I'd say that's far crueler than letting Voq freeze in space. Nothing like keeping your enemy alive and using them to suit your own purposes.

4. Have we seen a blonde haired character on the show?

5. I guess the writers are going for the younger demographic, I could do with far less nudity and implied nudity on the show.

6. 14 minutes before opening credits roll!! excellent.

I Reached inside myself And found nothing there
To ease the pressure of My ever worrying mind
All my powers waste away I fear the crazed and lonely looks
The mirror's sending me these days
Zaphod of Whiskers is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »