Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > Star Trek: Discovery - CBS/All Access Sunday

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 09-23-17, 12:12 AM   #1
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Star Trek: Discovery - CBS/All Access Sunday

Series Premiere

S01E01 - "The Vulcan Hello"
Sunday - September 24, 2017
CBS/All Access - 8/7c

Description:
More:
Star Trek, one of the most iconic and influential global television franchises, returns 50 years after it first premiered, with Star Trek: Discovery.

Set roughly ten years before the events of Star Trek: The Original Series, the show sees the Klingon T'Kuvma look to unite the 24 great Klingon houses, leading to a cold war between his race and the United Federation of Planets that involves the crew of the USS Discovery.

The series will feature a new ship, new characters and new missions, while embracing the same ideology and hope for the future that inspired a generation of dreamers and doers. Source

S01E01 - The Vulcan Hello - The discovery of a puzzling object by the starship Shenzhou leaves First Officer Michael Burnham torn between captain and crew. Source

Cast
  • Sonequa Martin-Green as Michael Burnham: First officer of the USS Shenzhou, referred to as "Number One". She was raised as a Vulcan by Sarek, and is the first human to attend the Vulcan Learning Center and Vulcan Science Academy.
  • Doug Jones as Saru: A Science Officer serving as a lieutenant aboard the Discovery, and the first Kelpien to enter Starfleet. Kelpiens, a new species created for Discovery, were hunted as prey on their home planet and thus evolved the ability to sense the coming of death.
  • Jason Isaacs as Gabriel Lorca: Captain of the Discovery, a "brilliant military tactician". Isaacs described the character as "probably more f-d up than any of" the previously seen Star Trek captains.
  • Michelle Yeoh as Philippa Georgiou: Captain of the Shenzhou. Yeoh described the character as an explorer who "loved the universe" and particularly "the possibility of seeing new stars", but also someone who "has seen the horrors of war". Georgiou has a "mother and daughter" relationship with Burnham after the latter joins the Shenzhou.
  • Shazad Latif as Ash Tyler: A Starfleet lieutenant and former prisoner of war. Latif noted that Tyler's PTSD would be explored in the show as he attempts to return to his Starfleet life, calling Tyler "a very complex and painful and deep character."
  • James Frain as Sarek: A Vulcan astrophysicist, the father of Spock, and the surrogate father of Michael Burnham. Frain appears as a younger version of the character who was first portrayed by Mark Lenard in the original Star Trek series.
  • Maulik Pancholy as Nambue: Chief Medical Officer of the USS Shenzhou.
  • Anthony Rapp as Paul Stamets: A Science Officer specializing in astromycology (the study of fungi in space). The character is inspired by a real-life mycologist of the same name. He is the first openly gay character in a Star Trek series.
  • Chris Obi as T'Kuvma: The leader of an ancient Klingon house who is looking to unite all of the Klingon houses.
  • Kenneth Mitchell as Kol: Commanding Officer of the Klingons, and protege of T'Kuvma.

Last edited by Hodgepodge; 10-01-17 at 01:16 AM.
Hodgepodge is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-17, 07:06 PM   #2
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - CBS/All Access Sunday

I'm trying to understand this series background.

We've got two Captains:

1) Michelle Yeoh plays Philippa Georgiou, Captain of the Shenzhou.
2) Jason Isaacs plays Gabriel Lorca, Captain of the Discovery.

Is the story going to be told thru flashbacks? Sonequa Martin-Green who's playing Michael Burnham, the star of the series, is the First-Officer of the Shenzhou. So, how does Capt. Lorca, captain of the Discovery fit in?
Old 09-23-17, 10:32 PM   #3
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Breakout Champion! Jail Escaper Champion! Luigis Revenge Interactive Champion! Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing v2 Champion! Mario`s Time Attack Champion! 3D Superball Champion! Some Puzzle Champion! WolfN'swinE Champion! Super Flash Mario Bros Champion! 1992 Champion! Power Driver 2.0 Champion! Plankton`s Revenge Pinball Champion! Penguin's Revenge Champion! Block Buster Champion! Pinboliada Champion! Yeti Sports 1- Bloody Pingu Champion! Elite Mahjong Full Champion! Yeti Pentathlon Champion! Yeti Sports 1 - Pingu Throw Champion! YetiSports 8 - Jungle Swing v32 Champion! Yeti Puzzlekick Champion! Mahjongg Alchemy Champion! Yeti Sports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion! Skee Ball Champion! Sacred Symbols Normal Champion! X-Training Champion! Crash Bandicoot Champion! Bubble King Champion! Power Arrow Very Hard Champion! Power Arrow Medium Champion! Power Arrow Hard Champion! Blood Red Champion! Marble Roller - Easy Champion! The Red Dwarf Champion! Rocket Man Easy Champion! Volvo Motor Factory Champion! 7 Seas Estates v32 BuZZ Champion! Bad Adebayor Champion! Zball Champion! Bloons Junior Champion! MatchIt 2 v2.0 Champion! Vacation Blues Champion! Bucketball 2 Champion! Beard O Kills Champion! Pigeon Hunter Champion! Planarity Champion! Attraction Champion! Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion! What is the Color? Champion! Red and Blue Champion! BLOSICS 2 Champion! Dupligon Champion! Trapr Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
I'm trying to understand this series background.

We've got two Captains:

1) Michelle Yeoh plays Philippa Georgiou, Captain of the Shenzhou.
2) Jason Isaacs plays Gabriel Lorca, Captain of the Discovery.

Is the story going to be told thru flashbacks? Sonequa Martin-Green who's playing Michael Burnham, the star of the series, is the First-Officer of the Shenzhou. So, how does Capt. Lorca, captain of the Discovery fit in?
Maybe he's there to mansplain things to the ladies.
FrodoFraggins is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-17, 02:56 AM   #4
Zaphod of Whiskers
We are the dreamers of dreams
Stares Down Smokey

Location: You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

wow....absolutely zero charisma from the characters on this, i don't know that i've ever seen that before. even WB characters have something to offer...this i got as 3rd rate extras just saying lines. BAD.

Should have taken warning, it's just
People ignoring
Running, hiding, lost
You can't find, find a place to go, so it's
Red skies at night
Zaphod of Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-17, 06:44 AM   #5
addhawk
Follows the Cable

The commercials were brutal. Destroyed the pace of the setup and character development. Not a good thing to do to a premiere episode. Bite size viewing with huge chunks of TV ads. Was there even 40min in the first episode? Doesn't belong on network TV. Upload and binge after it's all out. Disappointing.
addhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-17, 05:51 PM   #6
Lawboy
Widmore Corp. Hatchet Man
Sees Walt

I have it reocorded and will watch tonight. But sounds like it was a miss. Disappointing because I like Sonequa Martin and Jason Isaacs, and I thought Michelle yeoh would be solid.

My guess is that they sort of blew it with the direction. They should have started with a Star Trek vet to get the tone right from the beginning. Should have used Jonathan Frakes.

Give Life, Be an Organ Donor.
http://www.pkdcure.org http://kidney.org

Lawboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-17, 05:59 PM   #7
Cmdr Spock
Armchair Couturier
Sees Walt

This was a hefty lift, trying to reconcile the latest Star Trek incarnations and make an engaging new Star Trek story. I think the pilot nailed it. Hope the quality continues.

And now, for those so inclined, a brief history of people mansplaining things to Michelle Yeoh:

Spoiler: hide

Official Keeper of Sun's Awesome Orgy of Revenge.
Cmdr Spock is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-17, 06:06 PM   #8
Zaphod of Whiskers
We are the dreamers of dreams
Stares Down Smokey

Location: You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmdr Spock View Post
This was a hefty lift, trying to reconcile the latest Star Trek incarnations and make an engaging new Star Trek story. I think the pilot nailed it. Hope the quality continues.

And now, for those so inclined, a brief history of people mansplaining things to Michelle Yeoh:

Spoiler: hide
It's probably just me, but none of the characters interested me. Then again, those actors don't interest me, so that's probably a large part of it.

Spoiler: also...
The pace at which the Klingons were speaking drove me crazy. So....deliberately....slow.

Should have taken warning, it's just
People ignoring
Running, hiding, lost
You can't find, find a place to go, so it's
Red skies at night
Zaphod of Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-17, 06:52 PM   #9
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Breakout Champion! Jail Escaper Champion! Luigis Revenge Interactive Champion! Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing v2 Champion! Mario`s Time Attack Champion! 3D Superball Champion! Some Puzzle Champion! WolfN'swinE Champion! Super Flash Mario Bros Champion! 1992 Champion! Power Driver 2.0 Champion! Plankton`s Revenge Pinball Champion! Penguin's Revenge Champion! Block Buster Champion! Pinboliada Champion! Yeti Sports 1- Bloody Pingu Champion! Elite Mahjong Full Champion! Yeti Pentathlon Champion! Yeti Sports 1 - Pingu Throw Champion! YetiSports 8 - Jungle Swing v32 Champion! Yeti Puzzlekick Champion! Mahjongg Alchemy Champion! Yeti Sports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion! Skee Ball Champion! Sacred Symbols Normal Champion! X-Training Champion! Crash Bandicoot Champion! Bubble King Champion! Power Arrow Very Hard Champion! Power Arrow Medium Champion! Power Arrow Hard Champion! Blood Red Champion! Marble Roller - Easy Champion! The Red Dwarf Champion! Rocket Man Easy Champion! Volvo Motor Factory Champion! 7 Seas Estates v32 BuZZ Champion! Bad Adebayor Champion! Zball Champion! Bloons Junior Champion! MatchIt 2 v2.0 Champion! Vacation Blues Champion! Bucketball 2 Champion! Beard O Kills Champion! Pigeon Hunter Champion! Planarity Champion! Attraction Champion! Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion! What is the Color? Champion! Red and Blue Champion! BLOSICS 2 Champion! Dupligon Champion! Trapr Champion!

I haven't watched it yet, but it's gotten generally positive reviews from the press.

I wasn't a big fan of the lead actress from the Walking Dead and have genuine concerns they cast the best minority actress rather than the best actress for the role. I'm of the opinion that most roles should not be written to race, or even sex in many cases, and that the best person for the role should be hired. The show runners had a clear agenda when casting and that's a legit worry imo.

Also, I lost interest in the Trek franchise after becoming an avid fan of serialized shows like Babylon 5 and Farscape that didn't make use of excessive reset buttons at the end of episodes. I'm not one for episodic, formulaic TV like ST:TNG, ST:VOY or Stargate:SG1. But I know I'm in the minority there.

I'm also not a big fan of these Trek prequels(enterprise) or reboots(movies). TOS was great for it's time and I feel they keep trying to recapture that and they simply can't.
FrodoFraggins is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-17, 06:58 PM   #10
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

The production visuals look great though I wasn't really impressed with the new Klingons or their language. It was a little too halting and monotonous. It seemed like the actors weren't comfortable with speaking Klingonese. Other than that, the other actors were pretty good. Great to see Michelle Yeoh!

The first officer is just crazy.

Spoiler: spoiler
I know the show centers around her, but I'm not sure how her career can survive the stunt she pulled.

I think I'll subscribe and check out the series further.

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*
Mr. Bill is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »