Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Art & Literature > Writing as a Career > A few basic tools for writers

Writing as a Career Share writing techniques, publishing knowledge and opportunities, and more!

Old 05-29-17, 09:45 PM   #11
azteclady
Reads. Crafts. Rabble Rouses. Rants.
Hears the Whispers

Re: A few basic tools for writers

i have recently posted a couple of threads about publications either accepting or seeking pieces, usually shorter length, either fiction or non-fiction. In theory, these are paid (freelance) writing gigs. However, there is no shortage of people who think publishing your work is enough payment.

It's not. If they make money off your work, you should get paid whatever money was agreed from the start.

Since this is not the norm--what a screwed up world!--a group of freelance writers have banded together and maintain a list of publications that actually pay, and how much, how soon after the piece is turned in, and for what exactly. If you are considering submitting your work to a magazine or publication, online or print, you may want to check Who Pays Writers before doing so.

Good luck!
Old 07-08-17, 02:59 PM   #12
azteclady
Hears the Whispers

Floating this up again, with a couple addenda:

Remember Yog's Law: in what we call traditional publishing, whether dead tree, digital, or in audio, money flows towards the author. If an agent or publisher asks you for money to 'cover the costs' of publishing your work, it's a scam. There's no 'legitimate explanation' for anything else. Author provides intellectual property under conditions set forth in a contract, author gets money.

Second, Yog's Law as is applies to self-publishing, in a good piece by John Scalzi:
Self-Pub Corollary to Yog’s Law: While in the process of self-publishing, money and rights are controlled by the writer.

Which is to say that when the self-published writer pays for editorial services, she’s at the head of the process; she’s employing the editor or copy editor or cover artist or whomever, and she’s calling the shots. If she’s smart she’s listening to them and allowing them to the job she’s paid them for, but at the end of the day the buck stops — literally — with her. This differs from the various scammy publishers, who would take the money and the author’s work, and then would effectively disappear down a dark hole, with the writer entirely out of the loop on what was going on (what as going on: generally, almost nothing).
I encourage you to follow the link and read the whole thing. Scalzi can be problematic in some ways, but in general, his writing advice is sound (IMNHO)
Old 10-22-17, 05:50 PM   #13
azteclady
Hears the Whispers

I've talked about contracts in publishing a few times before here, including this post; however, I've found a great resource that covers the importance of intellectual property rights. (Here)

While it's true that the major goal there is to educate academics, it applies to commercial (genre) publishing in very similar ways.
Old 11-23-17, 12:20 PM   #14
azteclady
Hears the Whispers

Yesterday, out of the blue, a small and fairly unknown publisher tweeted the following:
Dear agents, please stop sending inquiries to (pub). We no longer consider agented writers. Writers w/agents: feel free to send, just know you have to drop your agent if we sign you.
This, it should be obvious, is a HUGE red flag.

A publisher has no standing to dictate authors' other business relationships. Agents' main function is to protect the rights of the author and negotiate publishing contracts on their behalf.

More on this, here.
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Art & Literature > Writing as a Career »