Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Community > Lostaways! :) > 4:20 Cannabis Science & Discussion

Lostaways! :) Welcome Lostaways! Kick back, relax, and have a little fun!

Old 10-08-17, 03:40 AM   #1
Mattie
Cons the Conman

4:20 Cannabis Science & Discussion

Cannabis, now fully legal in eight states plus the District of Columbia, and medically legal in 29 states with many more states entering legislation to legalize or medically legalize in the future, is one of the most studied drugs in the history of plants.

Used for thousands of years by our ancestors and native tribes, only now is science beginning to really understand the possibilities behind THC in its many forms, CBD in its various forms and all of the other myriad of terpenes and cannabinoids that create the synergy they do.

This is a thread to talk about your experiences with the medicine, thoughts, opinions, ideas. Iíll probably spam a lot of medical studies both old and new, I have a Google alert for most things MMJ.

"madness, and then illumination"
orson scott card
http://instagram.com/towhateverend
Mattie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-17, 05:51 PM   #2
Mapinguari
Talks Backwards

Send a message via Yahoo to Mapinguari Send a message via Skype™ to Mapinguari
Re: 4:20 Cannabis Science & Discussion

I have a friend who passed away a few years ago due to Von Hippel-Lindau syndrome. It's a nasty hereditary disease that took her father, her, and will take her brother eventually. It's a rare disease that basically caused tumors to form randomly along her central nervous system, and surgeries became more frequent as she got closer to 40 years old. Eventually, one forms in an inoperable spot in the brain, and that's it.

Before things got REAL bad, she started dating my other friend, who for years might be considered my "source" for recreational fun. When her condition started to deteriorate, he got involved in growing for medicinal purposes, and he got REALLY good at it. Now, it's not like he was growing crazy strains for getting blazed, he was working with growers around here to cross breed strains to achieve as high a CBD content (the painkilling good stuff) as possible, as opposed to a high THC level (the stuff that gets you high) in order to help ease the pain associated with the tumors and post surgery.

For awhile, she seemed like she was on an endless cycle of surgeries, and her opiod intake had gotten out of control. She was taking DOZENS of pills a day. Oxycodone barely scratched the surface for her. Vicodin was like Flintstone's vitamins. She was becoming distant, and didn't look healthy at all. Then a tumor took her balance and she was using a walker in her mid-30's. She lost full use of one of her arms for a year due to surgical scarring associated with the tumors. In her own words, she was "a mess".

I'd be lying if I said she never smoked weed before. I think she met my buddy through me, but they REALLY hit it off because he smoked like many of us drink. It was just the way he was. But when she started smoking the CBD strains, she stopped "needing" the opioids that she was so reliant on. They didn't really work for her anyway, but she took them to take the edge off. She had been taking half a dozen Oxys a day (that she admitted to...probably accurate, but could be low), in addition to Vicodin, Percocet, and any other mix that she could get together to curb the pain.

The CBD almost STOPPED the pain entirely. I mean, getting close to stopping it was one thing with all those pills, but now she could sit down with a rig, a joint, or even a cookie, and she was back to the old friend we all knew, albeit with a walker, but she was JEN again. It was unreal. Granted, she still had her bad days, VHL syndrome is no joke, but overall, she was back to being our old friend until that brain tumor showed up.

So after she passed, my buddy doubled his efforts to work on CBD strains, as well as perfecting strains for making "oil". One of our long time friend's mother has a PhD in botany and helped him further develop strains for various purposes. Last year, two of the guys he "works with" took 2nd and 3rd in the Colorado Cannabis Cup for their oil made entirely out of his strains.

So my experience with this? I've not spoken about it in public circles, because it's kind of lame compared to some of the things people around me have dealt with (see above), but I have a condition called Hidradenitis Suppurativa, and I have it REALLY bad. Over the last three years, I've had four surgeries that took me out of work for a total of 13 months. What I had involved carving out a section of, well, flesh, and the wound had to heal OPEN, basically on it's own. I had my left arm pit scooped out as if with an ice cream scooper, and that's the easy one to explain. The other places are... unfortunate (think groin area), and SUUUUUUCKED.

Now, pain pills might be fine and all, but I don't even take Advil. My daily vitamins are of the gummy variety, because I just hate taking pills in general. So after expending my first bottle of Vicodin after the first surgery, my buddy shows up with some CBD buds. It was unreal.

My armpit felt like someone had a hot poker jammed in there 24-7. Hell, I had a visiting nurse coming daily for two months to check the open wound, and she wasn't the most gentle nurse in the world. The Vicodin probably took some of the edge off, but I felt like it just made me loopy. Things still hurt. I hated them. So, being a smoker anyway, I smoked a bit of the CBD.

Within a few seconds of exhaling, not an exaggeration, it was SECONDS, I felt like a hood was lifted off my head. That was the feeling. Like the imaginary hood represented the pain associated with everything, and someone just took it off. The headache associated with the hot poker feel? Gone. The uncomfortable-ness of having a 4"x3" open wound under my arm? Gone. It was a Wednesday, which meant "Survivor and Taco Night" at our place, and I actually chopped all the veggies for the first time in weeks. It was mind blowing. But the weirdest part was that I didn't get high AT ALL. It just made the pain go away for awhile. The only down side is that I had to "medicate" regularly to keep the pain at bay, but by regularly, I'm talking every 4-6 hours, and at that, a puff or two would do.

Now with everything being legal in some areas, I have access to vape cartridges with CBD in them and they are fantastic. I'm not a fan of carrying around my own oil for vaping, a big NO on oil rig and torches (just a glorified bong), and I don't plan on making cookies with the stuff, so the vape cartridges are pretty awesome, and I can swap CBD out for the fun stuff at Phish shows. I can only get them through my friends that have access to dispensaries right now (though my buddy travels to Seattle a lot, where he can get them cheaper), but these things should be available at CVS for cripes' sake.

The advances in science on the stuff is incredible, why the benefits aren't yet accepted as fact is beyond me. I've have first hand experience with it for the last few years, and trust me, it WORKS.

As far as the recreational side of it, well I certainly have no problem with that either, but that's not what's going to make it legal in 50 states. New medicinal uses are being discovered every day, and it could be a big help in working on the opioid problem in the US and around the world.
Old 10-10-17, 02:34 AM   #3
Mattie
Cons the Conman

Cannabis may enhance night vision

New research shows that the drug makes cells in the retina more sensitive to light

25 years ago, pharmacologist M. E. West of the University of the West Indies in Kingston, Jamaica, noted that local fisherman who smoke cannabis or drink rum made with the leaves and stems of the plant had “an uncanny ability to see in the dark,” which enabled them to navigate their boats through coral reefs. “It was impossible to believe that anyone could navigate a boat without compass and without light in such treacherous surroundings,” he wrote after accompanying the crew of a fishing boat one dark night, “[but] I was then convinced that the man who had taken the rum extract of cannabis had far better night vision than I had, and that a subjective effect was not responsible.”

Some of these crew members told West that Moroccan fishermen and mountain dwellers experience a similar improvement after smoking hashish, and in 2002, another research team travelled to the Rif mountains in Morocco to investigate further. They gave a synthetic cannabinoid to one volunteer, and hashish to three more, then used a newly developed piece of kit to measure the sensitivity of their night vision before and after. Confirming West’s earlier report, they found that cannabis improved night vision in all three of their test subjects.

Now, another study provides hard evidence for the claim, revealing a cellular mechanism by which cannabis might improve night vision. The findings, published recently in the open access journal eLife, could eventually be applied to the treatment patients with degenerative eye diseases such as retinitis pigmentosa.

West had suggested that cannabis might improve vision by acting on the eye muscles to dilate the pupils, so that more light falls on the retina, but other experiments ruled this out by showing that marijuana constricts the pupils. It’s also possible that the drug can influence activity in the visual cortex at the back of the brain, but the CB1 receptor protein, which binds the psychoactive ingredient of cannabis, is found at far higher levels in the eye than in the visual cortex, suggesting that any effects the drug has on vision are likely due to its actions on retinal cells.

Lois Miraucourt of the Montreal Neurological Institute and his colleagues looked not to stoned fishermen, but to tadpoles of the African clawed toad, Xenopus laevis, which are transparent and, therefore, amenable to all sorts of experiments that cannot be performed in humans or other lab animals.

In one set of experiments, they applied a synthetic cannabinoid to eye tissue preparations from the tadpoles, and used microelectrodes to measure how retinal ganglion cells, whose fibres form the optic nerve, respond to light. The researchers found that this made the cells more sensitive, increasing the rate at which they fired to both bright and dim light stimuli. Closer investigation revealed that this occurred due to inhibition of a protein called NKCC1, via its actions on the CB1 receptor.

NKCC1 is a co-transporter protein that normally shuttles sodium, potassium, and chloride ions in and out of cells, and their concentrations determine the electrical properties of nerve cells. Overall, these experiments show that cannabinoids reduce the concentration of chloride ions inside the retinal ganglion cells, making them more excitable and more sensitive to light.

Miraucourt and his colleagues then carried out another set of experiments to determine if the cellular responses they observed could contribute to vision. Tadpoles have a natural tendency to avoid dark moving dots, and the researchers exploited this by putting some tadpoles into a Petri dish, showing them dark dots under various lighting conditions, while using specially designed video-tracking software to track the movements of the tadpoles and the dots, and to measure the tadpoles’ avoidance responses.

Under normal lighting conditions, they observed no differences between tadpoles treated with a synthetic cannabinoid and untreated ones. In the dark, however, tadpoles given the cannabinoid avoided significantly more dots than untreated ones, which only responded to the dots as if by chance. Thus, the researchers conclude that the enhanced cellular responses observed in their first set of experiments improved the tadpoles’ sensitivity to contrast under low-light conditions.

Whether the findings are applicable to humans remains to be seen but, if so, they could pave the way to treatments for diseases such as retinitis pigmentosa and glaucoma, which cause blindness by killing off cells in the retina. Cannabinoids are known to have a neuroprotective effect on retinal cells, so treatments based on the drug may, in theory, not only improve vision for patients with deteriorating eyesight, but also slow down the progression of such diseases.

orson scott card
Old 10-12-17, 05:03 AM   #4
Mattie
Cons the Conman

Medical Marijuana Cuts Use Of Prescription Drugs: Study

Illinois cannabis patients reduced their use of opiates and other pharmaceuticals, according to the first peer-reviewed study in the state.

CHICAGO, IL — The first peer-reviewed scientific study of medical marijuana patients in Illinois to be published has shown that participants in the statewide program reduce their use of other conventional pharmaceuticals, such as opiates. The study, conducted by researchers from DePaul and Rush university and published in The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, assessed the use of prescription medication by 34 people enrolled in the Illinois medical cannabis program.

Medical marijuana users told researchers that they use cannabis as an alternative to other medications. Opioids were the drugs most commonly substituted out for cannabis, but patients also cut down their use of anticonvulsants, anti-inflammatories, and over-the-counter pain relievers.

Participants in the study, with an average age of 45, said they believed cannabis acts faster than conventional prescription drugs and has fewer negative side effects.
"Medical cannabis may be used intentionally to taper off prescription medications," the study's authors found.

"These findings align with previous research that has reported substitution or alternative use of cannabis for prescription pain medications due to concerns regarding addiction and better side-effect and symptom management, as well as complementary use to help manage side-effects of prescription medication," they wrote.

More research is needed to determine ideal doses for different patients, the researchers admit. The study was observational and qualitative and its sample was small and self-selecting among those medical marijuana patients who volunteered to respond.
The DePaul and Rush study's findings are similar to previous work by researchers at the University of Georgia, who found having more marijuana dispensaries in an area cut down on "adverse opioid outcomes," and the authors of a Journal of the American Medical Association-published paper that found states with legal forms of marijuana had about a 25 percent lower annual average opioid overdose death rate than states with complete prohibition.

Last year, 1,889 people died of opioid overdoses in Illinois, according to state public health officials. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has found the abuse of such drugs has reached epidemic proportions, and President Donald Trump has declared it a national emergency.

There are about 25,000 medical marijuana patients in Illinois, according to the Chicago Tribune. The most common of the 40 medical conditions that permit patients to be prescribed marijuana in Illinois are fibromyalgia and cancer, followed by post-traumatic stress disorder.

One medical cannabis patient told the Tribune she had been prescribed a total of 18 different drugs, including opiates, to treat lupus and fibromyalgia but became dangerously dependent on painkillers. She said medical marijuana freed her from opiates, made her pain manageable and gave her her life back without addicting or intoxicating her.

orson scott card
Old 10-13-17, 05:38 AM   #5
Mattie
Cons the Conman

Study: Marijuana Use Linked to Lower Prevalence of Fatty Liver Disease

LOWELL, MA — Subjects who consume cannabis are significantly less likely to suffer from non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) as compared to those who do not, according to population-based case-control data published in the journal PLOS One.

Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease is the most prevalent form of liver disease in humans, affecting an estimated 80 to 100 million people in the United States.

A team of researchers from the University of Massachusetts Medical School and John Hopkins University in Baltimore assessed the relationship between cannabis use and NAFLD in a nationally representative cohort of 5.9 million hospitalized patients ages 18 or older.

Authors reported that the prevalence of NAFLD was 15 percent lower in occasional marijuana users than it was in non-users. More habitual cannabis consumers were 52 percent less likely to be diagnosed with the disease as compared to abstainers.

Researchers concluded, “We observed a strong dose-dependent reduction in the prevalence of NAFLD with cannabis use suggesting that cannabis use might suppress or reverse NAFLD development.”

Separate case-control studies have previously reported an inverse association between cannabis use and obesity and adult onset diabetes, both of which are risk factors for NAFLD.

Full text of the study, “Cannabis use is associated with reduced prevalence of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: A cross-sectional study,” appears in PLOS One.

orson scott card
Old 10-15-17, 01:13 AM   #6
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Jah made The Herb for man. Thanks and praise are due.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-17, 04:40 PM   #7
Dark Side Of The Moon
Seeks Rescue

I don't like all the coughing.
Dark Side Of The Moon is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-17, 04:18 AM   #8
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Me neither, i prefer to cook with it.
Quote:
Mo, I you
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

Old 10-16-17, 04:35 AM   #9
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

unfortunately I'm allergic to it. I guess if I come down with something worse than dizziness and nausea (the side effects) then I might use it in a medicinal manner, but I suspect that dizziness and nausea isn't healthy.

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*
Mr. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-17, 04:29 PM   #10
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

I try to be careful about dosage myself. Not an allergy, thank gog, but i just don't really enjoy the "high" anymore. It really does help a lot for joint and back pain, and as counterintuitive as it may seem, it helps with depression too.
Quote:
Mo, I you

« MyMedia-Forum.com > Community > Lostaways! :) »