Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Community > Lostaways! :) > What's New/Happy Valentine's Day!

Lostaways! :) Welcome Lostaways! Kick back, relax, and have a little fun!

Old 01-23-18, 03:39 AM   #261
azteclady
Reads. Crafts. Rabble Rouses. Rants.
Hears the Whispers

Re: What's New/Post-apocalyptic Zumba class

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnap View Post
the system we have is important and valuable and we can't dismiss it as a PITA.
I love you, cat.
Old 01-23-18, 03:43 AM   #262
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

The only time I got called to serve jury duty, I was full-time care of an 18 month old and nursing an infant.
So, that was an easy box to check on the form.

vonnegut is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-18, 04:05 AM   #263
Ness
Tudel Agitaxatel
Sees Walt

Ive been called for jury duty 4 times but never made it past the waiting room. I also got called for state and federal jury duty in the same summer. For the state my number never got called. For federal I got it deferred because it conflicted with my brothers wedding. Whe the time for me to serve rolled around again i was temporarily crippled because of my back. Got a doctors note saying I was medically unable to sit for extended periods of time and got out of it. We will see how long till I get another summons.

I wouldnt mind it so much if I actually got to serve on a real jury, it might be a neat experience. I hate not being ablr to plan my week for no reason when my number never gets called though.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-18, 05:24 AM   #264
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Send a message via ICQ to Warthawg1 Send a message via AIM to Warthawg1 Send a message via MSN to Warthawg1 Send a message via Yahoo to Warthawg1

This is my 5th time. 4th on county court and once on federal. Prior to this I have been selected to serve on an actual jury, twice. One was a possession with intent to distribute and one was child molestation. Both times the defendant walked. The drug case .. he walked because the po-po and the DA were incompetent.. he was guilty as hell but evidence was thrown out. The child molestation was a case of a vindictive ex-spouse using a child to try and get revenge on someone by ruining their life. Terrible stuff actually. Someone’s life was ruined by an obviously false accusation. Yes they got off.. not guilty, but they have to live with the stigma of that accusation the rest of their life. It was awful.

This one is another possession with intent to distribute and the big problem here is the jury pool. These idiots do not understand the concept of “yes or no” questions, and several are just bound and determined to make social justice statements during the Voir dire process. It’s very frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I walk across the dreaming sands, under the pale moon...

through the dreams of countries and cities, past dreams of places long gone, and times beyond recall.
Warthawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-18, 12:36 PM   #265
catnap
duckgrazeharborpain
Drinks Dharma Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by azteclady View Post
I love you, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
The only time I got called to serve jury duty, I was full-time care of an 18 month old and nursing an infant.
So, that was an easy box to check on the form.
See, now the time I got dismissed last minute, I had little kids (not that little, but I would have had to figure out childcare of some sort for weeks), but the judge specifically said that childcare was not something he'd consider a dismissal for. I wonder if it's a judge's discretion thing, or state by state maybe?

I got dismissed because it was a drunk driving case and my brother had just literally almost died in a dd accident. (His fault/he was the dd /he didn't hurt anyone else, not that it matters, it's awful and inexcusable, but he did almost die...helicopter ride, brain surgery, tons of broken bones, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Ive been called for jury duty 4 times but never made it past the waiting room. I also got called for state and federal jury duty in the same summer. For the state my number never got called. For federal I got it deferred because it conflicted with my brothers wedding. Whe the time for me to serve rolled around again i was temporarily crippled because of my back. Got a doctors note saying I was medically unable to sit for extended periods of time and got out of it. We will see how long till I get another summons.

I wouldnt mind it so much if I actually got to serve on a real jury, it might be a neat experience. I hate not being ablr to plan my week for no reason when my number never gets called though.
It is hard to take a day or days off to maybe just sit around. Being on the jury is cool though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthawg1 View Post
This is my 5th time. 4th on county court and once on federal. Prior to this I have been selected to serve on an actual jury, twice. One was a possession with intent to distribute and one was child molestation. Both times the defendant walked. The drug case .. he walked because the po-po and the DA were incompetent.. he was guilty as hell but evidence was thrown out. The child molestation was a case of a vindictive ex-spouse using a child to try and get revenge on someone by ruining their life. Terrible stuff actually. Someone’s life was ruined by an obviously false accusation. Yes they got off.. not guilty, but they have to live with the stigma of that accusation the rest of their life. It was awful.

This one is another possession with intent to distribute and the big problem here is the jury pool. These idiots do not understand the concept of “yes or no” questions, and several are just bound and determined to make social justice statements during the Voir dire process. It’s very frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
God that is frustrating. Answer the damn question.

Rough cases. Mine was a beer truck delivery driver who stole a bunch of his product. We convicted him but not on the worst charge. I felt a little bad for him...he wasn't like a hardened criminal. Just not the sharpest tool. And I guess susceptible to beer cravings.

catnap is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-18, 02:51 PM   #266
Tawaret
zero to "warped" in 3 seconds
Squishes the Frog

I've been called twice but only served once. The first call came when I was in college and I had to prove that I didn't still live at my parents house. A couple of years ago I got called again. That was a Jerry Springer case. He said they were dating. She said it was a hook up. They hooked up and he borrowed her car w/ her consent to go get cigs. Something he claimed he did all the time. He ran into another girl at the gas station & decided to go hook up w/ her too. So he drove the first girl's car to the second girls place. When the first girl called in the morning to ask where he and her car were, he ignored her call. First girl decides to drive around and look for her car & the dude. She & her cousin find him as he's trying to sneakily leave the car at her place. He freaks out and they start a mini low speed car chase until the cops show up. He was charged w/ car theft but we agreed to let him off w/ petty theft. The DA was soooo mad. She polled the jury and everything.
Old 01-23-18, 03:45 PM   #267
catnap
duckgrazeharborpain
Drinks Dharma Beer

Today I told my Zumba class to "Grab your instrument"

Old 01-23-18, 04:32 PM   #268
Zaphod of Whiskers
We are the dreamers of dreams
Stares Down Smokey

Location: You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

and the response was giggles I bet

I Reached inside myself And found nothing there
To ease the pressure of My ever worrying mind
All my powers waste away I fear the crazed and lonely looks
The mirror's sending me these days
Zaphod of Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-18, 04:50 PM   #269
catnap
duckgrazeharborpain
Drinks Dharma Beer

I'm not sure anyone noticed Maybe I'm the only one with a dirty mind. But there is this swing dance song they LOVE and there's a sort of walk and pretend you have a trumpet or trombone or whatever instrument it is (Jump Jive and Wail) and...yeah...

Old 01-23-18, 04:51 PM   #270
catnap
duckgrazeharborpain
Drinks Dharma Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawaret View Post
I've been called twice but only served once. The first call came when I was in college and I had to prove that I didn't still live at my parents house. A couple of years ago I got called again. That was a Jerry Springer case. He said they were dating. She said it was a hook up. They hooked up and he borrowed her car w/ her consent to go get cigs. Something he claimed he did all the time. He ran into another girl at the gas station & decided to go hook up w/ her too. So he drove the first girl's car to the second girls place. When the first girl called in the morning to ask where he and her car were, he ignored her call. First girl decides to drive around and look for her car & the dude. She & her cousin find him as he's trying to sneakily leave the car at her place. He freaks out and they start a mini low speed car chase until the cops show up. He was charged w/ car theft but we agreed to let him off w/ petty theft. The DA was soooo mad. She polled the jury and everything.
Whoa that sounds kind of interesting. In a daytime TV way like you said lol

« MyMedia-Forum.com > Community > Lostaways! :) »