Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > Big Little Lies - HBO Sunday

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 02-19-17, 05:24 PM   #1
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Big Little Lies - HBO Sunday

Big Little Lies -- Series Premiere Tonight!

S01E01 "Somebody's Dead"
Sunday, February 19, 2017 @ 9/8c on HBO

About:
More:
"In the tranquil seaside town of Monterey, California, nothing is quite as it seems. Doting moms, successful husbands, adorable children, beautiful homes: What lies will be told to keep their perfect worlds from unraveling?

Told through the eyes of three mothers – Madeline, Celeste and Jane – Big Little Lies paints a picture of a town fueled by rumors and divided into the haves and have-nots, exposing the conflicts, secrets and betrayals that compromise relationships between husbands and wives, parents and children, and friends and neighbors.

Based on the New York Times number-one bestseller of the same name by Liane Moriarty, this seven-part limited series is a subversive, darkly comedic drama that weaves a tale of murder and mischief as it explores society’s myth of perfection and the contradictions that exist beneath our idealized façade of marriage, sex, parenting and friendship.

Directed by Jean-Marc Vallée (Dallas Buyers Club, for which he received an editing Oscar nomination; Wild; Demolition), Big Little Lies is written for television and created by David E. Kelley (seven-time Emmy winner for Picket Fences, LA Law, The Practice and Ally McBeal; Goliath).

The stellar cast includes Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman, Shailene Woodley, Laura Dern, Zoë Kravitz, Alexander Skarsgård, Adam Scott, James Tupper, Jeffrey Nordling, Santiago Cabrera, P.J. Byrne and Virginia Kull.

Executive produced by Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman, David E. Kelley, Bruna Papandrea (Gone Girl; Wild; the Oscar nominee Milk), Per Saari (Rabbit Hole, The Family Fang, Monte Carlo), Jean-Marc Vallée, Nathan Ross (Dallas Buyers Club, Wild, Demolition) and Gregg Fienberg (four-time Emmy-nominee; HBO’s True Blood and Deadwood), and produced by Barbara A. Hall (Ray, Milk) and Liane Moriarty, Big Little Lies is a Pacific Standard/Blossom Films/David E. Kelley Productions production for HBO Films." Source

Spoiler: Series Trailer and Episode Description

Episode Description: "In the premiere of an adaptation of Liane Moriarty's novel set in a seemingly idyllic seaside California town, a suspicious death at an elementary school fund-raiser exposes rivalries simmering beneath the superficial comity among some of the parents." Source
sandi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-17, 10:46 PM   #2
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Re: Big Little Lies - HBO Sunday -- Premieres tonight! 02/19/17

This is a HELL of a cast, Sandi. I mean, two Oscar winners!

I missed the premiere, so I hope I can catch it on a future date.
Old 02-22-17, 06:51 PM   #3
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Re: Big Little Lies - HBO Sunday -- Premieres tonight! 02/19/17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
This is a HELL of a cast, Sandi. I mean, two Oscar winners!

I missed the premiere, so I hope I can catch it on a future date.
I hope you do, Hodge. I thought the first episode was quite good.

I was all ready to dislike Reese's character but by the end of the episode, found her to be privately likable. At heart, she's very different from the public face she presents. I think she's quite likely insecure.

I don't think Ziggy is the one that attacked that little girl. My money is on the twins. Did you see how their father reacted when their mother kept playing down the incident? I think he might be a sociopath despite the idyllic scenes with his wife and children. And apples don't fall too far from the tree.

And how is that Ziggy's mom can afford an apartment (yeah it's low rent but still) on a part-time bookkeeper's salary? She either has money and is keeping a low-profile or someone is supplementing her income.

I can't wait to find out who the victim is and who the killer is. Really -- either one could be a number of people.

Formerly known as clayseason1
Old 02-26-17, 03:36 PM   #4
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Re: Big Little Lies - HBO Sunday

Big Little Lies

S01E02 "Serious Mothering"
Sunday, February 26, 2017
@ 9/8c on HBO

Spoiler: Episode Description & Promo

Episode Description: "Madeline feels slighted by Renata and gets bad news about her community-theater production; Ziggy asks Jane why they moved to Monterey; Celeste tells Perry they should seek counseling; Nathan and Ed have a tense meeting about their wives." Source
Old 02-28-17, 06:46 PM   #5
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

I'm getting pulled into this shallow world!

So Renata has her daughter, Amabella, hand out invitations to her birthday party the first day of school. Ziggy is the only one who doesn't get an invitation (because Amabella accused him of choking her.) Madeline is upset for Ziggy (and also because Renata is working against her play -- I think). So Madeline invites everyone but Amabella to see Disney on Ice the same day and time as Amabella's party. How incredibly cruel of both of them!

Ziggy's teacher introduces a stuffed animal as their mascot -- Harry the Hippo and excitedly tells the class, each of them will be able to take Harry the Hippo home for a sleepover.

Madeline's daughter Chloe tries to get Amabella to accept Ziggy as a friend. So she tells him to do what her mom and dad do -- kiss, hug and dance. Chloe's half-sister nods in approval and Ziggy approaches Amabella.

Ziggy's mom, Jane, gets a call from the principal -- Ziggy is accused of sexual harrassment/misconduct.

It's plain how the parents are escalating their children's situation because of their own biases and problems with the other parents.

The twins have their turn with Harry the Hippo and at bed-time, their mom, Celeste notices Harry is missing a leg. (Like I said before -- apples don't fall too far from the tree. )

We still haven't gotten enough information to know who the murder victim is and who the murderer is.

But I'm going to take a wild guess at who the victim is. My money, at this point, is on Renanta. That's who I would shoot.

Old 03-05-17, 05:45 PM   #6
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Big Little Lies

S01E03 "Serious Mothering"
Sunday, March 5, 2017
@ 9/8c on HBO

Episode Description: "Madeline organizes a trip to compete with Annabella's birthday party to annoy Renata. Meanwhile, Celeste's roller-coaster relationship with Perry continues before their first therapy session with Dr. Reisman; Abigail's guidance counselor wants to meet with Madeline; Principal Nippal announces the theme for the fall fund-raiser; and Jane asks for Madeline's help with Ziggy's family-tree project." Source
Old 03-06-17, 10:13 PM   #7
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

I don't know why Renata got her panties all tw isted over Madeline arranging for six children (including her daughter Chloe) to go to the Disney on Ice, rather than Amabella's birthday party. And the trailers about that was so misleading! There were tons of people there -- all kinds of kids. It looked like a big success. Renata did make a remark about Chloe not being there -- like she was Amabella's best friend and/or Chloe not being there was some kind of social slight. I didn't get it.

Celeste and Perry go to a therapist and wind up disclosing the violence in their lives. The session was quietly emotionally charged and the scene was well done.

Ziggy has a family tree project due which Madeline comes over to help with (per Jane's request). Jane tells Ziggy he has no father and Ziggy becomes angry and gets sent to his room. Jane tells Madeline that she had met Ziggy's father in a bar and one thing led to another but when they became intimate, the man changed -- he became very "robotlike" -- something like that -- he hurt her. She never saw him again. So she tells Ziggy he doesn't have a father. I would like to know how she explains that. (I don't know why but -- I have a feeling that Perry is going to turn out to be Ziggy's dad.)

Madeline's oldest daughter, Abigail, is having problems at school -- grades are dropping. Her counselor calls Madeline in and during that meeting, Abigail tells Madeline she's going to live with her father for a while. Abigail cites not getting along with Madeline and the pressure Madeline puts her through as the reason. But I think something else may be going on.

While those reasons are true, I suspect Madeline's husband (Abigail's stepfather), Ed -- is attracted to Abigail and could have made advances to her -- or worse.

Old 03-07-17, 08:51 PM   #8
vincentstuntdbl#23
stuntdog
Escapes the Cage

Big reveal on last nite's episode! Still dunno who the victim/killer will be?
Kinda surprised at the nudity from Kidman & Woodley. Even if this is HBO.
vincentstuntdbl#23 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-17, 11:32 PM   #9
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Big Little Lies

S01E04 "Push Comes to Shove"
Sunday, March 12, 2017
@ 9/8c on HBO

Episode Description: "Nathan hosts a couples dinner for Madeline and Ed to discuss a "parenting paradigm" for Abigail. Meanwhile, Celeste prepares for a city-council meeting about Madeline's play, and clashes with Perry over the prospect of her returning to work; Jane meets with Ziggy's teacher to talk about classroom bullying; and Madeline stumbles upon a clue about Jane's past." Source
Old 03-19-17, 12:38 PM   #10
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Big Little Lies

S01E04 "Once Bitten"
Sunday, March 19, 2017
@ 9/8c on HBO

Episode Description: "Madeline gets encouraging news about the play from her director, but is unnerved by a significant change in his demeanor. Meanwhile, Principal Nippal and Ms. Barnes discuss the Ziggy-Amabella situation with Jane; and Celeste has a solo session with Dr. Reisman, who presses her for more details on her marriage." Source
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »