Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Art & Literature > Literature General Discussion > GRRM's Wild Cards

Literature General Discussion A space to talk about your favorite books, series and authors.

Old 08-11-17, 09:37 AM   #1
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

GRRM's Wild Cards

Original thread title: "Am i the only one who's read Wild Cards?"

____

Really?

It had some really great moments, it's classic GRRM. You can give up after book 11. I gave up after 13, but 12 and 13 were both garbage, i only read them because there had been so much positive inertia.

ETA: There are 22 now, but only the first 15 have been published by major houses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."

Last edited by Mr Mo; 08-11-17 at 06:12 PM.
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-17, 03:16 PM   #2
MinaKitty
Requestatoriumatrix
Hears the Whispers

Tournaments Won: 1

Send a message via Yahoo to MinaKitty Send a message via Skype™ to MinaKitty
Re: Am i the only one who's read Wild Cards?

I read the first one. It was fine. But I think because I read it after I read ASOIAF it didn't strike me as more than fine.
Old 08-11-17, 04:30 PM   #3
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

The first one wasn't all that. The series kicks into high gear in book 3.
Quote:
Mo, I you
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

Old 08-11-17, 06:09 PM   #4
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

It's probably also worth noting that what Martin was trying with Wild Cards was a new idea. Robert Aspirin had launched the "shared world" concept with Thieves' World, but the concept of mosaic novels was a big step forward, and the first two books are a little clunky as a result, because the individual authors didn't want to step on each other's toes too hard and they didn't know/trust Martin enough to step back and let him be in full control.
Quote:
Mo, I you

Old 08-11-17, 08:09 PM   #5
KevinNU7
Pushes the Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mo View Post
It's probably also worth noting that what Martin was trying with Wild Cards was a new idea. Robert Aspirin had launched the "shared world" concept with Thieves' World, but the concept of mosaic novels was a big step forward, and the first two books are a little clunky as a result, because the individual authors didn't want to step on each other's toes too hard and they didn't know/trust Martin enough to step back and let him be in full control.
please enlighten me on what "shared world" means. I'm intrigued now.
KevinNU7 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-17, 08:24 PM   #6
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Re: GRRM's Wild Cards

When Aspirin launched the Thieves' World series, he asked a lot of his fantasy author friends to come together and design a city and surrounding landscape in a swords and sorcery type fantasy setting. Then each author was allotted a few characters to develop inside that setting. The authors were allowed to use each other's characters but not to kill them off or change their essential character. The series was a success, i believe around 15 books were published, all by major houses.

Wild Cards took the concept to the next level in a big way. While Thieves' World was Aspirin's idea and his baby, he let the authors do what they wanted. Wild Cards was Martin's domain, and the writers wrote what he told them to write, and he used an unusually heavy hand in editing, so that it reads like he wrote most of it himself, and in fact he is the primary contributor as well as the editor and project manager.

Also, Wild Cards is a departure because it's an alternate history of our own world, which diverges from actual world history in 1946. This gave Martin the opportunity to satirize and commentate on all manner of political and social movements. From Joe McCarthy to Gary Hart; from Jim Morrison to Frank Zappa; from Eisenhower's departure speech to the riots in Detroit and Watts, you'll know what GRRM really thinks about all of them and many many many more, all wrapped into fairly compelling stories. And true to form, his best villains are purely human and not unsympathetic. Except...

Spoiler: major book 3 spoiler
The Astronomer. That MotherF***er was pure evil.
Quote:
Mo, I you

Last edited by Mr Mo; 08-11-17 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-11-17, 08:31 PM   #7
KevinNU7
Pushes the Button

Both those series sound very interesting. Thanks
KevinNU7 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-17, 11:42 PM   #8
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

I might give them a chance if he ever finishes ASOIAF ...
FrodoFraggins is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-12-17, 12:05 AM   #9
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

So no?

Honestly, Wild Cards never ends either. Just give up after book 11. You'll feel like you've reached the end of the story then anyway.
Quote:
Mo, I you

Old 08-12-17, 12:08 AM   #10
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Send a message via ICQ to Warthawg1 Send a message via AIM to Warthawg1 Send a message via MSN to Warthawg1 Send a message via Yahoo to Warthawg1

I have not and will not be reading any GRRM unless it is the next book in the ASOIAF series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I walk across the dreaming sands, under the pale moon...

through the dreams of countries and cities, past dreams of places long gone, and times beyond recall.
Warthawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Art & Literature > Literature General Discussion »