Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > boonian's first watch of The Leftovers

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 04-26-17, 11:30 PM   #11
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Blew up the Sub

Re: boonian's first watch of The Leftovers

LOL it's hard not being able to spoil, but it's fun watching you think things, while I know what's going to happen.

Honestly, I think the world's going to end bloody. But it doesn't mean we shouldn't fight.
We do have choices. I choose to go down swingin'.

vonnegut is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-17, 03:04 AM   #12
boonian androphile
poet laureate
Hears the Whispers

I bet it is.

I liked episode 4 very much. I'm not a total Leftovers ogre.
Old Yesterday, 03:12 AM   #13
boonian androphile
poet laureate
Hears the Whispers

Episode 5

A compelling episode. But I feel horribly remiss in saying that when you break into people's houses and steal their photographs, and follow emotionally fragile people around until they break further, you know, bad things are going to happen. Not saying they asked for the stoning, but a response was going to happen, either out in the open, or under the mask of night. And as one person said: what if they did it themselves? I doubt it, but true believers are prolifically self-serving.

We see a break from the silent order in a car, a hotel, and a diner. People break down I guess. Need a break from absolutism. I didn't care. I have no sympathy. I did like it though when the chief's wife burst out of the house and blew the distress whistle when Rev Matt and his ilk assembled for a prayer outside the houses on the cul-de-sac. Rev Matt was so pleased with himself when one of the GR appeared. He thought he converted one. But no. Then again, GR---if you don't like people harassing you, then don't throw the first stone, so to speak.

Meantime, a similar whistling sound is occurring at the Chief's house, when the house alarm was finally set after some bickering, but the Chief had trouble managing the alarm when it went off. Of course he had some govt dweeb on the phone at the same time. All roads converge on the Chief! Anyway, later in the episode the Chief managed the house alarm better; of course, that coincided with some acceptance that his wife was divorcing him and he really had no other choice but to relent. That doesn't mean though that the Chief won't take things out on someone. Don't try to take the Chief's white shirts! Don't do it! Really, the shirts are symbolic of things missing and needing to retake them, to return the normalcy. I'm not sure whether the cleaner guy gave the Chief his real shirts or borrowed them form other customers. Probably the Chief's. But it's all symbolic. The Chief has to reclaim his life from somewhere.

After the stoning, I admit the introduction of the show, the animated departures, felt strangely sadder. Earlier I just skimmed through these images because the three year hiatus thing sort of created a disconnect of reaction. I wish almost that more time was spent on some sort of gradual response to the disappearances. That we saw people's immediate shock and grief, followed by whatever variety of responses.

The Chief had a lovely crying scene when talking to his daughter. This is more real to me than any of the cult activity, whether the cult holds firm or needs a night in a hotel.
Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM   #14
boonian androphile
poet laureate
Hears the Whispers

episode 6

the journeys of nora

I like nora. But I wish she had told useless wayne to bleep off or just shot him to fulfill his self-serving destiny of martyrdom. However, without Nora twisting out of her three year malaise, there would be less opportunity to have dinner with The Chief. I think that would have happened anyway. And plus I'd like to think that Nora is a tougher person to allow some removal of pain to be the end of pain. I mean really. At what point will she look in the mirror and realize that she still misses them (at least her kids). life may not be as insane without them, but one can't just happily forget so catastrophic an event.

meanwhile, and I don't know if I respect this or not, or both, the world has embraced the phenomenon of the departed in such pedestrian, bureaucratic, and hypercapitalistic ways. I think it is how the world would respond. But I found must of this episode unclean and tawdry. Nora did too, I think. But she needs a job? But running contrary to her embraceable disconnect is that nagging feeling that she is only a guest in her life, as the substitute nametag blatantly proclaims. I liked that element. I also liked the feigned suicide at the beginning of the episode. what else is one going to do with all that post-departed money?

I liked very much the counter festivities in the high up hotel room---because if I had to attend a conference such as this I'd be drinking and pill popping too! The best scene there was Nora's kissing the replica while the come-on artist got jealous. Also though, I liked that after all his capitalistic spiel, the words were genuinely asked: do I have soul? Or---am I a good person? Finally, there's someone who doesn't fall for his crap. But interestingly, his response is to go sorrowful, not angry.

On a greater and far more cynical scale, Wayne reminds me of this guy. But for Wayne, if indeed he has a gift, he's about as money-hungry as they come. Or is he part of a greater cult where money is important (just like the GR). Hence, his own predicted departure. As I said, I don't care. The quicker he and his kind and the GR and its kind are off the screen the better. They're all just another post-phenomenal explosion of absurdity, when the real players in this drama are people like Nora, The Chief, Jill, and anyone's who's grief and life experience are personal and not based on money-making, sophistry, and radical activism.

So carry on Nora. Have your dinner with the Chief. Check No and No and No. And remember your kids, and someday remember some pain about their departure. Because it's that pain that makes you human.
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »