Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Community > Community News > Net Neutrality, and access

Old 12-06-17, 11:12 PM   #21
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

Re: Net Neutrality, and access

Quote:
Originally Posted by azteclady View Post
I've yet to learn of the existence of any corporation that doesn't pass on the cost of business directly to its customers, as soon as possible.

YMMV.
Facebook? Youtube? hotmail/gmail ...

There are literally tons.
FrodoFraggins is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-17, 11:22 PM   #22
azteclady
Reads. Crafts. Rabble Rouses. Rants.
Hears the Whispers

"as soon as possible"

Look at all the changes all of the above have been making, gradually, to increase monetization of their product.

Particularly facebook--see just what they sold and to whom.
Old 12-06-17, 11:25 PM   #23
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Yeah, in most media cases the advertisers are the real customers. Even almost all media outlets that charge subscription fees make their bread and butter from ad sales.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-17, 12:00 AM   #24
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

Note: some of this delves into politics but that is impossible not to do with this issue.

I know that things will only get worse if the Trump, or any republican, led FCC gets its way. Especially since it's led by a former Verizon executive. And thus I am 100% for people contacting their representatives regarding the FCC's plans and make sure they know you are for net neutrality and will hold them and their party responsible for their vote.

I'm someone who doesn't like any source of news as they always show their bias by what stories they ignore and those they harp on. FOX demonizes democrats and protects republicans. MSNBC does the opposite. CNN/NPR and most other news sources are left leaning. I don't know of a single american news source that is truly unbiased and doesn't cater to it's viewer/listener base.

And so I don't really like the mass hysteria narrative being espoused at the moment. Worst case scenarios being thrown around as inevitable, all over the net, is starting to irk me. Just as it irks me every election cycle for both sides.

Cable companies already know that people are sick of being nickled and dimed because content providers such as Warners, FOX, Paramount, etc. , force cable companies to bundle things they want with things that they don't.

People are not likely to take kindly to being given the same types of packages for internet access. There would 100% be an uproar.
Old 12-08-17, 04:21 PM   #25
azteclady
Reads. Crafts. Rabble Rouses. Rants.
Hears the Whispers

::headtilt::
Old 12-09-17, 12:55 AM   #26
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Funny how just last night i was complaining (again) to Mrs. Mo about the abysmal quality of writing being put out by people with graduate degrees in writing, and i had an epiphany: nobody gets into journalism because they enjoy writing anymore, they get into journalism to push their political agendas.

Back when we first heard grumblings about the "liberal media" it was true that some sources were a little biased, although there were conservative biases out there too, but it seems to me that those biased sources didn't represent the majority of news media. Nowadays it seems like there literally aren't any unbiased sources left. The closest thing we can find is international news from other countries, and often they have their own agendas to push too.

I remember my father being very upset when all the major media outlets were being bought up by bigger conglomerates. I understood why at the time, but i didn't imagine that we'd reach a point where there's literally nobody remaining who's interested in honest journalism for its own sake, much less so rapidly.

And then just now i read Frodo's post. Well said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-17, 05:54 AM   #27
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mo View Post
Funny how just last night i was complaining (again) to Mrs. Mo about the abysmal quality of writing being put out by people with graduate degrees in writing, and i had an epiphany: nobody gets into journalism because they enjoy writing anymore, they get into journalism to push their political agendas.

Back when we first heard grumblings about the "liberal media" it was true that some sources were a little biased, although there were conservative biases out there too, but it seems to me that those biased sources didn't represent the majority of news media. Nowadays it seems like there literally aren't any unbiased sources left. The closest thing we can find is international news from other countries, and often they have their own agendas to push too.

I remember my father being very upset when all the major media outlets were being bought up by bigger conglomerates. I understood why at the time, but i didn't imagine that we'd reach a point where there's literally nobody remaining who's interested in honest journalism for its own sake, much less so rapidly.

And then just now i read Frodo's post. Well said.
There are times when I seek out political news from the BBC rather than any US source. but as you said, even they will likely support one party over another.

I just want a news source that doesn't protect democrats or republicans. I think a part of why newspapers are struggling is simply due to their editorial stances. My small city newspaper is pure right wing and I don't want to support that at all.

I also hate how left or right leaning newspapers always often use very unflattering photos of people from the opposite party.

I assume the AP and UPI are much more fair but as far as I'm aware they don't aggregate their own stories and they tend to be just a few paragraphs.
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Community > Community News »