Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > Star Trek: Discovery - CBS/All Access Sunday

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 02-16-18, 05:08 PM   #181
Cmdr Spock
Armchair Couturier
Sees Walt

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - CBS/All Access Sunday

I've watched every incarnation of Star Trek since the '60's, I remember as a toddler being disappointed watching the moon missions b/c they weren't in color too. I can't ever recall thinking to myself, you know, what this show really needs, is more white guys. It was always the short skirts and go go boots that made me want to join Starfleet, but then, I'm hetero. Where the green chicks at? I don't understand the need for art to only be about someone who looks like me. Seems like narcissism.

If I was going to ding this incarnation of Trek, I'd fault it for having every episode written by different authors, there seemed to be a reset at the end of every episode, but that's neither a unique fault of the show nor a dealbreaker. They managed to not break the things that were really working and made a solid values statement, I can get behind this crew.

And I've been a Michelle Yeoh fan since seeing her HK work in the '90's. Her performance in this is such a personal gift to me words fail to express my adoration. I give zero f's about anyone's lack of satisfaction with this Trek. If you didn't like it, it wasn't for you. It was quite clearly for me.

Official Keeper of Sun's Awesome Orgy of Revenge.
Cmdr Spock is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-18, 06:10 PM   #182
Zaphod of Whiskers
We are the dreamers of dreams
Stares Down Smokey

Location: You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

the green chicks are Orions, and they were in that finale. along with green dudes. art does not require 'they look like me', but relatability to characters does. I will never understand the mental processes of a 25 year old girl now unless i ask her to explain. a 50 year old Lorca I could understand more, as i'm in that same traits area. and I'm not dinging the show overall, just on how quickly the war storyline wrapped up (which means I'm dinging the writing of that episode.) I think the graphics/effects are 10x what we've seen previously on tv treks. I think the acting is great, as I buy the characters and don't get the impression they are acting. I wish we'd learn more about the other bridge crew to add more characters to be interested in beyond a surface level.

and I for one give 'f's about everybody's opinion here, because I like to get varied input and opinions - Hodge points out things I miss or gives me a perspective I hadn't considered. you pointed out different writers each episode - i hadn't noticed that, but thanks to your comment I'll now consider that when I give thoughts on the show.

HK, is that a show? All I can think of is Hell's Kitchen, which she wasn't on

I Reached inside myself And found nothing there
To ease the pressure of My ever worrying mind
All my powers waste away I fear the crazed and lonely looks
The mirror's sending me these days
Zaphod of Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-18, 06:14 PM   #183
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmdr Spock View Post
I've watched every incarnation of Star Trek since the '60's, I remember as a toddler being disappointed watching the moon missions b/c they weren't in color too. I can't ever recall thinking to myself, you know, what this show really needs, is more white guys. It was always the short skirts and go go boots that made me want to join Starfleet, but then, I'm hetero. Where the green chicks at? I don't understand the need for art to only be about someone who looks like me. Seems like narcissism...
I don't think I've missed one either, Cmdr Spock.

And you're right, a great part of the original Star Trek was its diversity. Sulu, America's ideological enemy, Russian, Chekov.

The "Original" is the first series to show an interracial kiss between Capt. Kirk and Lt. Uhura. Obviously, something that can never be taken from it.

And, just because you're curious:

Quote:
...If I was going to ding this incarnation of Trek, I'd fault it for having every episode written by different authors, there seemed to be a reset at the end of every episode, but that's neither a unique fault of the show nor a dealbreaker. They managed to not break the things that were really working and made a solid values statement, I can get behind this crew...
But, at least the "vision" of this first season was clear. Every writer, although different, knew which way the story was going.

I also noticed there were several different "Directors" for this first season. Although, not as significant as different "writers", they could've changed the direction of the overall theme.

Quote:
...And I've been a Michelle Yeoh fan since seeing her HK work in the '90's. Her performance in this is such a personal gift to me words fail to express my adoration. I give zero f's about anyone's lack of satisfaction with this Trek. If you didn't like it, it wasn't for you. It was quite clearly for me.
Okay, I said I wasn't going to .
Old 02-16-18, 06:26 PM   #184
nsguy
Cons the Conman

Zap - I think HK refers to Hong Kong and specifically Hong Kong action movies.

I've watched all the Trek series and I think most of them really struggled in the first season, but improved in later seasons. I'll occasionally catch an episode from the first season TNG on the Canadian sci-fi station and it is barely watchable - but it grew into an excellent series in my opinion. Because of that I think people need to give this show's first season a bit of leeway. I didn't appreciate the quick wrap up of the Klingon war, but all in all I thought the first season was excellent.

The ending of the finale with Enterprise made me roll my eyes a little bit at the time, but I think it could be interesting. I wonder if the next season will be focused on the enterprise or that will be just a brief story arc. I also wonder if the Enterprise story line will tie into The Cage/Menagerie episodes from the original series. More on that here
nsguy is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-18, 06:33 PM   #185
Zaphod of Whiskers
We are the dreamers of dreams
Stares Down Smokey

Location: You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post

You all do realize that is Batgirl right? same actress. hubba hubba.

I haven't missed a trek either, including all the bad movies. I can't say Discovery is better than TOS for the first season, as they are 2 different shows because the times have changed so much since then. I don't feel the TOS second and third season improved - in fact I think it went somewhat downhill from the first season. Hoping STD (wow that's unfortunate for show initials) will keep improving. Do we know how many seasons are confirmed, is it just the 2nd season so far?

I Reached inside myself And found nothing there
To ease the pressure of My ever worrying mind
All my powers waste away I fear the crazed and lonely looks
The mirror's sending me these days
Zaphod of Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-18, 09:49 PM   #186
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod of Whiskers View Post
You all do realize that is Batgirl right? same actress. hubba hubba...
I think that's Yvonne Craig, ZoW.

Possibly, the greatest pair of legs ever.