Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Art & Literature > Literature General Discussion > Gaiman's Sandman GD *spoilers after page 1*

Literature General Discussion A space to talk about your favorite books, series and authors.

Old 06-12-17, 03:41 PM   #11
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Re: Gaiman's Sandman General Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
8 was just poorly placed. I mean, coming off of the intensity of Brief Lives, then I get like, practically NO Morpheus, a total break from the storyline that's been building so that we can sit around in an inn and listen to people blather on about their stupid non-Morpheus selves. It killed the momentum. If anything, put it AFTER Kindly Ones to let us calm down a little bit, before slamming us with Wake.

In short:
Not enough Morpheus.
I think we can fairly attribute the difference in opinion to personal taste. I will admit that it left me a bit itchy on my first time through the series, but on rereads i've come to appreciate the stories told much more, especially...

Spoiler: very minor spoilers
the Necropolis and the air burial story. Did you know that air burial is actually a part of documented history? I think it's cool as hell.

Quote:
I could say "8 might be a fun fling, but 6 is what you want to marry" and be totally referring to Sandman.
Quote:
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-17, 02:43 AM   #12
J_C
Hypercreative
Talks Backwards

Are there vampires, or anything vampire-like?

J_C is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-17, 03:27 AM   #13
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

There are immortal supernatural beings.

Love is no part of the dream-world. Love belongs to desire, and desire is always cruel.

vonnegut is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-17, 04:08 AM   #14
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

There are no vampires except in that people sometimes dream of vampires. We never see those particular dreams, and therefore i say with reasonable certainty that there are no vampires.

There's a Corinthian. But he's not much like a vampire, really. He's a lot scarier, in a lot of ways, but he's all the wrong kinds of sad. Plus his particulars are all messed up, he'd make a terrible vanpire. Jesse from Preacher is a thousand times the vampire that the Corinthian is.

So... no,
Quote:
Mo, I you
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

Old 06-13-17, 04:21 AM   #15
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Corinthian > Vampires

Sorry not sorry

Love is no part of the dream-world. Love belongs to desire, and desire is always cruel.

Old 06-13-17, 04:30 AM   #16
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

I guess the only real argument against that is that vampires can make more vampires, while the Corinthian was sorta stuck being unique.

I mean, in general i agree with you, but there are some things about vampires that resonate in ways that the Corinthian never could. "I created you to be a dark mirror," i think Morpheus tells him, and Morpeus admits that the Corinthian is a flawed, petty creation.

Not to imply that vampires aren't flawed and petty. They are, down to the very last bloodsucker.

So i think what i'm trying to say is that while the Corinthian may be better than any vampire, vampireS are still better than the Corinthian. It's a near thing though i suppose.
Quote:
Mo, I you

Old 06-13-17, 04:50 AM   #17
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mo View Post

I mean, in general i agree with you, but there are some things about vampires that resonate in ways that the Corinthian never could. "I created you to be a dark mirror," i think Morpheus tells him, and Morpeus admits that the Corinthian is a flawed, petty creation...

So i think what i'm trying to say is that while the Corinthian may be better than any vampire, vampireS are still better than the Corinthian. It's a near thing though i suppose.
Prob my favorite part of Doll's House, no accident that I picked that panel for my sig:

And, to be fair, the Corinthian's pettiness was mostly being out of control while Morpheus was gone.

And, Morpheus says "I'll make you better next time."
So there ARE CorinthianS.

And, Corinthian in the end was awesome.

Old 06-13-17, 07:40 PM   #18
Pi-o-my
Pushes the Button

In the most recent episode of American Gods, Essie tells the kids she's minding that a leprechaun can "eat your eyes out" and guess who I thought of. Obviously no leprechaun but, still.

I've got to be disciplined and not come over here or I'll end up rereading Sandman and I don't have time for a big reading project now. And I beg to differ with those who call it a fast read.
Pi-o-my is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-17, 07:56 PM   #19
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

You know you want to.

Old 06-13-17, 08:54 PM   #20
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Pi-o-my,

Make sure you read the Death books too, and the two ancillary books between The Wake and Overture. I mean, if you're going to re-read, you might as well do it right.

________

Oh, vonne, there's something i've been meaning to tell you about that short-lived comic spinoff called The Dreaming. I don't want you to get TOO excited though, so i'll warn you. The writing isn't terrible by any stretch of the imagination, but after Sandman dang near any writing can smell like some stankass weaksauce...

Spoiler: major character spoiler for The Dreaming
Matthew the Raven is a major character.

Quote:
Mo, I you

Last edited by Mr Mo; 06-13-17 at 11:25 PM.
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Art & Literature > Literature General Discussion »