Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Sports > Sports Discussion > NFL Thread Pt. II

Sports Discussion 42! 23! 16! ...wait.

Old 09-12-17, 06:53 PM   #7021
Liz
Ridiculicious!
Hears the Whispers

Send a message via AIM to Liz Send a message via MSN to Liz Send a message via Yahoo to Liz Send a message via Skype™ to Liz
Re: NFL Thread Pt. II

So, I know that mostly everyone here hates the Raiders but I'm going to talk about them anyway.

I thought they had a pretty solid win over the Titans in Week 1. I was pretty worried about the defense, especially against the run, but I thought they did pretty good considering that everyone was saying that Tennessee would wipe the floor with them. Carr looked good overall on his first real game back and everything was mostly in sync overall.

I loved that our backup kicker Tevecchio (who we normally only see in pre-season) kicked 2 50-yarders without breaking a sweat, lol! He earned the game ball and a little bit of respect and notoriety. Janikoski may officially be on notice, lol.

I think it was a great start and I am looking forward to the rest of the season!
Old 09-13-17, 11:41 AM   #7022
TheBigCat
SOUNDERS...erm...SEAHAWKS FTW
Carries Big Stick

Location: Green Hell, temporarily leased out to the 12th Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
So, I know that mostly everyone here hates the Raiders but I'm going to talk about them anyway.

I thought they had a pretty solid win over the Titans in Week 1. I was pretty worried about the defense, especially against the run, but I thought they did pretty good considering that everyone was saying that Tennessee would wipe the floor with them. Carr looked good overall on his first real game back and everything was mostly in sync overall.

I loved that our backup kicker Tevecchio (who we normally only see in pre-season) kicked 2 50-yarders without breaking a sweat, lol! He earned the game ball and a little bit of respect and notoriety. Janikoski may officially be on notice, lol.

I think it was a great start and I am looking forward to the rest of the season!
Hey...the AFC West could be a brawl this season if the Chargers have put shooting themselves in the foot behind them. They will be playing in a 20,000 seat soccer stadium for the next three years while Kroenke builds his new Football Palace. I believe Phillip Rivers is a lock for Canton, even if he never wins a Super Bowl.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for the Seahawks, what can I say? It was at Lambeau. Defense played as expected, O-line is still suspect. Perhaps the saving grace is that offenses tend to lag behind defenses in putting it together out of the gate and this year's O-line is actually better than the ones Tom Cable has had to work with in the past couple of seasons. Sit back and watch the Schoolmaster at work, within a couple of games there might be something there which gives Russell Wilson time to operate.

Avatar and sig img courtesy of vincentstuntdbl#23
TheBigCat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-17, 04:33 PM   #7023
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

I have no hate in my heart for the Raiders. There's no love lost either, though, to be fair. The Raiders have won 53 1/3 % of the head-to-head matchups against the Clowns Jets, and knocked the Jets out of the playoffs twice, though it was more than 15 years ago. And to also be fair, neither those Raiders teams nor those Jets teams were going to go deep those years anyway.

The Raiders haven't won a SuperBowl since 1980, almost as long as the Jets. And they had John Freakin' Madden. How can anybody under the ago of 60 hate that franchise? You might as well hate the Arizona Cardinals, the Jacksonvile Jaguars, or the New York Knicks (unless you're from NY, then you get a pass on that).

____

TBC, completely agree about Rivers. Even without rings, he's definitely one of the best of his era and if he puts up another couple years of gaudy numbers we could have three qb's from one draft class all go to Canton as first-ballot selections.

________

Back to talking about the Raiders, i know people love to sleep on the Titans but i think they're going to surprise a lot of teams this year and apparently O-Town won't be on that list, which shows me that they're doing a good job of scouting instead of leaning back and counting on physical talent to win football games. If indeed the Raiders are ready to combine top level physical talent with top-notch scouting, they have unlimited potential this year.

If they beat the Saints in the SuperBowl, though, i really WILL hate them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-17, 06:41 PM   #7024
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
...I thought they had a pretty solid win over the Titans in Week 1. I was pretty worried about the defense, especially against the run, but I thought they did pretty good considering that everyone was saying that Tennessee would wipe the floor with them. Carr looked good overall on his first real game back and everything was mostly in sync overall...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mo View Post
...Back to talking about the Raiders, i know people love to sleep on the Titans but i think they're going to surprise a lot of teams this year and apparently O-Town won't be on that list, which shows me that they're doing a good job of scouting instead of leaning back and counting on physical talent to win football games. If indeed the Raiders are ready to combine top level physical talent with top-notch scouting, they have unlimited potential this year...
Man, this was a tough game for me to handicap. Raiders vs. Titans!

The majority of the media pundits agree with you Mr Mo, there's a good chance the Titans will win the AFC-South. I just stuck with the Raiders because of their experience. And, I think Carr is slightly better than Mariota (spl).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigCat View Post
...I believe Phillip Rivers is a lock for Canton, even if he never wins a Super Bowl...
Quote:
...TBC, completely agree about Rivers. Even without rings, he's definitely one of the best of his era and if he puts up another couple years of gaudy numbers we could have three qb's from one draft class all go to Canton as first-ballot selections...
Yeah, he's a fighter.

I can definitely see him in the HOF.

Quote:
...As for the Seahawks, what can I say? It was at Lambeau. Defense played as expected, O-line is still suspect. Perhaps the saving grace is that offenses tend to lag behind defenses in putting it together out of the gate and this year's O-line is actually better than the ones Tom Cable has had to work with in the past couple of seasons...
TBC, if you know the O-line is bad, and I know the O-line is bad, wouldn't you think the Seahawks brass would know that too?

I know it doesn't look good drafting a Tackle or Guard in the 1st round. It took Jerry Jones years to realize that, but it will definitely keep your QB off his back and in the game.

Damn Seahawks!
Damn TBC!

Quote:
...If they beat the Saints in the SuperBowl, though, i really WILL hate them.
You got a lot of nerve bringing up the Saints. 29-19!

Here's another team with an O-line that could be a lot better than it is. Plus, and maybe this has everything to do with the former, New Orleans can't run the ball, or refuses to try.

And yes, I picked them in our Pick'ems.

Damn Saints!
Damn Mr Mr!
Old 09-13-17, 07:20 PM   #7025
TheBigCat
Carries Big Stick

I don't think Saints is a bad pick. A breakaway runner like AP to take the pressure off of Brees, even on the far side of 30? He does not still, as I once described him in this thread, "run like someone strapped a JATO bottle to his backside and lit it off" or something like that. No, instead he's more "young hoss runs fast, old hoss runs well" nowadays. He's behind Mark Ingram on the depth chart, only had six carries for 18 yards in the loss at Minnesota, but I feel he's looking for an opportunity to prove himself and the Patriots' defense looks a bit dodgy.

Old 09-14-17, 12:19 AM   #7026
Peggy Sawyer
Blew Up the Hatch

Quote:
...He's behind Mark Ingram on the depth chart, only had six carries for 18 yards in the loss at Minnesota, but I feel he's looking for an opportunity to prove himself and the Patriots' defense looks a bit dodgy.
I was surprised he got so few carries against Minnesota, in a game he must have been motivated for. Bad idea by Payton, and the Saints lost a game they could and should have won.

Peterson will almost assuredly play more against the Pats, who may well be without Hightower (and Amendola on the other side). Neither NO nor NE will want to start 0-2; I expect a tense one this weekend.
Old 09-14-17, 12:54 AM   #7027
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Sawyer View Post
I was surprised he got so few carries against Minnesota, in a game he must have been motivated for. Bad idea by Payton, and the Saints lost a game they could and should have won...
It was mentioned in the pregame, it's hard for a leopard to change its spots.

Payton has always been a pass-first coach. A run game is nothing more than a way to throw the ball.

Peggy, I totally agree. Monday nights game should've been won by the New Orleans Saints. It may come back to hunt them too. Atlanta will probably win the NFC-South, but there's two wild-cards per conference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Sawyer View Post
...Peterson will almost assuredly play more against the Pats, who may well be without Hightower (and Amendola on the other side). Neither NO nor NE will want to start 0-2; I expect a tense one this weekend.
I'm probably going to jump back on the Patriots bandwagon for this match up. Plus, the Saints looked so anemic against the Vikings.
Old 09-14-17, 04:21 AM   #7028
TheBigCat
Carries Big Stick

Hard for a leopard to change it's spots...which readily explains why Pete is so happy to trade away offensive weapons for defensive players and ignore the O-line every season.

The Falcons are playing the first NFL game at the Em-Bee for Sunday prime time, hosting the Packers. Blank's other red-and-black-clad eleven, Atlanta United already christened the place with a nifty 3-0 win over Clark Hunt's (That's Lamar's youngest boy, if you didn't know) FC Dallas and just followed it up with a 7-0 thrashing of New England Revolution.

So how did Lamar Hunt, the founder of the American Football League and original owner of the Dallas Texans / Kansas City Chiefs, get involved with soccer? I got the answer to that listening to a podcast with Clark Hunt a couple of weeks ago on MLSsoccer dot com. It seemed the elder Hunt was engaged to a woman who was attending Trinity College, Dublin, on something similar to a Rhodes Scholarship (of course they later married, had several fine children, and remained together until his death) and while visiting her in 1962 they attended a Shamrock Rovers match at Glenmalure Park. This hooked him on "real football". In 1966 he attended the World Cup Final Tournament in England (and what a classic for the ages that one was), came home, started a team in Dallas and set them on a barnstorming tour which was as eye-opening as it was nearly disastrous. Curiously, he opted out of the NASL completely, focusing on other sports ventures. In 1994, following the World Cup Final here he helped to establish Major League Soccer, with most teams initially playing in college stadiums. Of course, there's no future for a league which needs to perpetually pay rent, so he came up with the idea that teams must have their own homes and to him this took the shape of 18-20,000 seat "soccer specific" stadiums built on cheaply-acquired land in the suburbs. Two teams bucked this trend. New England Revolution was able to swing a ground-share deal with Robert Kraft, and DC United had recently-vacated RFK available for lease. So there was a big venue in the suburbs with transit and road infrastructure pre-established, and a big stadium in the city (and still nobody comes to DC United games....attendance was less than 6000 for the US Open Cup Final between DC and the then-expansion Seattle Sounders in 2008, a figure which caused Nate Jaqua to remark "We get more people than that for an autograph signing"). All of these soccer specific stadiums probably helped save MLS, but, just my opinion, over the next decade they are all going to need to be expanded or elde the teams which play in them are doing to find themselves at a severe disadvantage against teams like Atlanta, Seattle, Portland, and New England who play in venues which break the mold.

Old 09-14-17, 05:14 PM   #7029
Zaphod of Whiskers
Stares Down Smokey

Location: You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

I don't hate the Raiders either. The only time I get peeved is when you have players making dirty/crippling plays. I get players get heated and shoving is pretty darn common, a shove doesn't ruin your knees for your career or give you a concussion (helmet to helmet always makes me angry, stop trying to concuss the other guy.)

Should have taken warning, it's just
People ignoring
Running, hiding, lost
You can't find, find a place to go, so it's
Red skies at night
Zaphod of Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-17, 05:59 PM   #7030
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod of Whiskers View Post
I don't hate the Raiders either. The only time I get peeved is when you have players making dirty/crippling plays. I get players get heated and shoving is pretty darn common, a shove doesn't ruin your knees for your career or give you a concussion (helmet to helmet always makes me angry, stop trying to concuss the other guy.)
Liz, did the Raiders lead the League in penalties again?