Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Cast and Character Discussion > [Season 1] DO NO Harm Jack's silly meltdown

Old 05-05-17, 04:37 AM   #1
topcat
Follows the Cable

DO NO Harm Jack's silly meltdown

Boone suffered a crush injury. He was in an old wrecked Beechcraft airplane, lodged in the tree canopy at the edge of a cliff, trying to get the radio to work. His weight caused the plane to shift and it nosedived onto the jungle floor below, the cargo crates falling on him. Locke carried him back to Jack for medical attention, telling him "he fell from a cliff", materially true though an incomplete description.
Jack later claimed that Boone died because "I based my medical treatment on what Locke told me". First off, a history is useful, but doesn't take the place of an examination; Jack should have seen quickly that Boone had suffered a crush injury to his leg.
Second, even in the most up to date modern emergency treatment center, crush injuries are nearly impossible to treat. They are very often fatal because of the toxins which are rapidly released from the crushed cells.

Locke had dropped Boone off for medical treatment and then gone off alone to mourne and deal with his depression, and to pray to the island (which served as God for Locke). There was no reason for him to remain there with Jack. Locke had no medical training and would only be in the way.

Jack blaming Locke's statement for Boone's death was absurd, as was his claim that Locke murdered Boone.
Jack had a very irritating, judgmental, self-righteous, condescending air about him. He crowned himself dictator. Jack and I would have had trouble until he finally got tired of having his nose flattened and his ribs bruised, and stopped making decisions for the whole group without even consulting them.

When Ethan threatened to kill them off, one by one, (after already nearly killing Charlie), Jack refused to issue handguns to anyone, even though he knew Locke and Sayid were familiar and qualified to use them safely and accurately. But Jack carried one whenever he felt like it.
And even after Ethan had killed one of them, Jack rejected the idea of dispensing handguns to anyone to defend the camp.
Only when it was his idea to set a trap for Ethan did he go to those he already knew could handle handguns safely.

Jack insisted that everyone tell him about everything, harshly criticizing Kate for failing to tell him about the small toy airplane in the Haliburton case belonging to the marshall. His paternalistic, dictatorial, personality is often overlooked by fans.
Sawyer liked to hoard items so he could profit from them. Jack did so because he was anal.

Of course the show features a theme of characters' personal redemption, and Jack winds up sacrificing himself to save Desmond (just as Charlie had done).
In other instances Jack displays a noble side to his character. But I found I didn't like Jack frequently throughout the series.

Perhaps I am just irritable. I didn't like a lot of people in this show, though I thoroughly enjoyed the show as a whole.
topcat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-17, 10:03 PM   #2
J_C
Hypercreative
Talks Backwards

Re: DO NO Harm Jack's silly meltdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat View Post
Jack had a very irritating, judgmental, self-righteous, condescending air about him...I didn't like a lot of people in this show, though I thoroughly enjoyed the show as a whole.
Jack was a perfect reflection of the show-runners Lindelof and Cuse.

J_C is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-17, 09:03 PM   #3
topcat
Follows the Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_C View Post
Jack was a perfect reflection of the show-runners Lindelof and Cuse.
Not being familiar with those guys I have no opinion on that. But I am curious about your statement.
How do you mean that? Can you expand on your comment?
Old 05-11-17, 05:09 AM   #4
topcat
Follows the Cable

In "Lighthouse" Jack has another emotional meltdown.

I realize that television is full of characters who display exaggerated emotional states all the time. I mean, actors overplay their emotions in order to get viewers emotionally invested in the story.
But they really do overplay it, way over the top most of the time.

Hugo took Jack to the lighthouse because the ghost of Jacob told him to take him there.

Jack wasn't going until Hugo told him "you have what it takes", which was some emotional trigger (I think Jacks dad told him he didn't have what it takes).

Once in the lighthouse Jack realizes that Jacob has been able to see them somehow through that magical lighthouse.

Jack approaches Hugo and says "I wanna know why he was watching me. I wanna know. So you're gonna ask him right now."
Hugo says "it doesn't work like that. I told you. He just kinda shows up whenever he feels like it".
Jack grabs a metal post, like a pipe or something and walks back over to Hugo who says 'what are you doing?'

Jack 'why was he watching me?'

I don't know.

Why is my name written down on this thing? (spoken louder)

He didn't tell me.

What does he want from me?

How am I supposed to kno

WHAT DOES HE WANT FROM ME?

I DON'T KNOW JACK!

Then Jack goes postal with the metal post, smashing the three lighthouse mirrors.

Now, if Jack only got emotional like this once in a great while, I might think, 'well, he was under great stress' or something.
But Jack is continually at the breaking point, crying, or steaming with pent up anger, or choking back some emotion or other.

This crap is so commonplace on television that people tend to overlook it. I know there are some people who will defend his actions in this scene, giving explanations as to why he was so upset.
But there is no excuse good enough. Jack just lost it. Hugo told him several times, and Jack had to know, that Hugo didn't know what was on Jacob's mind, or what his grand plan was. He didn't know why Jacob had watched them or picked them.
But Jack just kept asking him the same thing over and over, louder and louder, finally shouting in his face. Then he started smashing things like a kid throwing a tantrum.

Let's face it, he almost always loses it, or is about to lose it.

This guy is a surgeon? I have known some messed up doctors, believe me. But I never met a single one who was this bad. And most surgeons have to have something on the ball.
But not Jack. Wow, he was just an emotional basketcase.

Last edited by topcat; 05-11-17 at 05:15 AM.
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Cast and Character Discussion »