Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > Manhunt: Unabomber - Discovery Tuesday

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 09-14-17, 02:26 AM   #21
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Re: Manhunt: Unabomber - Discovery Tuesday

Last i heard, there were three major predictive red flags: one, as you mention, is genetic and may account for the majority if cases with underdeveloped (or entirely missing) prefrontal cortices. Another one is brain damage, which may account for most if not al the rest of the cases with prefrontal cortex issues. The other widespread marker for serial killers is childhood sexual trauma. To be fair, my info may be out-of-date.

I'm sure a lot of people are sick of hearing about serial killers; the 90's was a long time ago. Shit, i have no interest in learning any more than i already know about Gein, Green River, Iceman, or any of the other hundreds if not thousands of non-empathic killers out there.

What upset me was that the way the show was promoted early on, is that it would be about Ted, and for me personally, Ted and (to a FAR lesser degree) Harris & Klebold are the only ones who hold any interest for me. So i was pretty disappointed to see a show called UNaBOM that wasn't actually about Ted, it was about some G-Men. There are thousands of shows about G-Men chasing serial criminals. If i develop a burnig itch to go watch one, i'll to find Criminal Minds. I mean dang, Your Pretty Face Is Going to Hell was better than Manhunt.

Them's my opinions, and i'm sticking to 'em until something better comes along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-17, 04:25 AM   #22
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Breakout Champion! Jail Escaper Champion! Billiards Champion! Luigis Revenge Interactive Champion! Pool Jam - 10 Minute Game Champion! Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing v2 Champion! Mario`s Time Attack Champion! 3D Superball Champion! Some Puzzle Champion! WolfN'swinE Champion! Super Flash Mario Bros Champion! 1992 Champion! Power Driver 2.0 Champion! Plankton`s Revenge Pinball Champion! Penguin's Revenge Champion! Block Buster Champion! Pinboliada Champion! Archery 2000 Champion! Elite Mahjong Full Champion! YetiSports 8 - Jungle Swing v32 Champion! Glum Ball Glumballs Champion! Glum Ball_v32 Champion! Yeti Puzzlekick Champion! Mahjongg Alchemy Champion! Glum Ball Champion! Yeti Sports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion! Skee Ball Champion! Sacred Symbols Normal Champion! X-Training Champion! Crash Bandicoot Champion! Bubble King Champion! Power Arrow Very Hard Champion! Power Arrow Medium Champion! Power Arrow Hard Champion! Blood Red Champion! Marble Roller - Easy Champion! The Red Dwarf Champion! Rocket Man Easy Champion! Sacred Symbols Champion! Volvo Motor Factory Champion! 7 Seas Estates v32 BuZZ Champion! Bad Adebayor Champion! Zball Champion! Bloons Junior Champion! MatchIt 2 v2.0 Champion! Vacation Blues Champion! Bucketball 2 Champion! Beard O Kills Champion! Pigeon Hunter Champion! Planarity Champion! Attraction Champion! Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion! What is the Color? Champion! Red and Blue Champion! BLOSICS 2 Champion! Dupligon Champion! Trapr Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mo View Post
Last i heard, there were three major predictive red flags: one, as you mention, is genetic and may account for the majority if cases with underdeveloped (or entirely missing) prefrontal cortices. Another one is brain damage, which may account for most if not al the rest of the cases with prefrontal cortex issues. The other widespread marker for serial killers is childhood sexual trauma. To be fair, my info may be out-of-date.

I'm sure a lot of people are sick of hearing about serial killers; the 90's was a long time ago. Shit, i have no interest in learning any more than i already know about Gein, Green River, Iceman, or any of the other hundreds if not thousands of non-empathic killers out there.

What upset me was that the way the show was promoted early on, is that it would be about Ted, and for me personally, Ted and (to a FAR lesser degree) Harris & Klebold are the only ones who hold any interest for me. So i was pretty disappointed to see a show called UNaBOM that wasn't actually about Ted, it was about some G-Men. There are thousands of shows about G-Men chasing serial criminals. If i develop a burnig itch to go watch one, i'll to find Criminal Minds. I mean dang, Your Pretty Face Is Going to Hell was better than Manhunt.

Them's my opinions, and i'm sticking to 'em until something better comes along.
I can understand why you'd much rather watch something following Ted throughout his life as we've seen far too many dramas from the law enforcement side of things. For entertainment value it should be at least 70% spent on the criminal.

That was why I was mostly bored with the movie spotlight. We basically only saw it from the point of view of people trying to create a story. and yes it was a HUGE story. But we've seen that story told enough times.

A ballsy movie would have been to tell the story from the inside of the church. but I guess that would bring the risk of lawsuits.

Ted Kaczynski is definitely more interesting than your run of the mill serial killer. But I'm not sure anyone could capture what was really going through his head.

I believe there's a show coming up, maybe on netflix, dealing with trying to study psychopaths back in the 70's. That could be interesting. Although the last I saw, there is really only limited benefit to counseling the truly psychotic.

I am curious what would happen in a society where we have genetic markers at the ready for people with a much higher propensity for pedophilia, murder or rape. Especially if it can't be cured or treated.

I remember watching something in high school, a very long time ago, that dealt with pedophiles. Some of those interviewed in jail simply wanted to be castrated to remove their urges, but it was considered cruel and unusual punishment. Since I've never heard of that being done since then I'm going to guess that hasn't changed.

Actually I just googled it and found:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=93947

To be honest, I don't think castration is cruel or unusual in those cases. At least not until science can cure them.
FrodoFraggins is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-17, 05:44 AM   #23
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

They say Ed Gein was still talking to his mom when he died of old age. I totally agree that counseling isn't going to "fix" people who are missing critical parts of their brain or who have suffered irreversible brain damage.

Aa for chemical castration, it's been tried in several states and the statistics i've heard (which could be biased, i haven't done my own research into it) indicate that it has no effect on the rate of recividism for sexual offenders in general nor for pedopheliacs specifically. There's something deeper at work than just hormonal obsession. Some have speculated that certain individuals need to act out the same things they went through as children in order to try to gain an emotional sense of control over things they had no emotional context for in the first place, but then they escalate/evolve into more and more evil acts and nothing seems to satisfy their needs. Those are parts of the human psyche that i prefer not to speculate on too much.

________

I can understand that it'd be difficult to create an accurate tale chronicling Ted's descent into madness, but there are some source materials that could be used to create a reasonable, if dramatized, story out of it. It could start with corroborated stories from Ted's childhood, then shift into high gear with his years at Berkeley and the experiments that were performed on him. We've been given to understand that his journals are virtually unreadable because of his degenerated mental state, but part of me wonders if a bigger problem might be that his intelligence was so high and he never intended them to read by others. A team of people with shared experiences might be able to create a coherent story out of them, even if it's not 100% accurate, it could be made to be pretty close. Finally, we have "the manifesto." As creepy, weird, and rambling as it was, it also spoke to a lot of people and i think ignoring that and pretending that he was purely a raving madman is dangerous.

NatGeo had a series on psychopaths back in the early 2000's. It had an interesting premise, buy ultimately flopped, because like you noted, there's just something missing there and non-psychotics just can't identify with psychotics because they have no empathy, and without empathy, relating to somebody on an emotional level is just impossible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-17, 05:59 AM   #24
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Breakout Champion! Jail Escaper Champion! Billiards Champion! Luigis Revenge Interactive Champion! Pool Jam - 10 Minute Game Champion! Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing v2 Champion! Mario`s Time Attack Champion! 3D Superball Champion! Some Puzzle Champion! WolfN'swinE Champion! Super Flash Mario Bros Champion! 1992 Champion! Power Driver 2.0 Champion! Plankton`s Revenge Pinball Champion! Penguin's Revenge Champion! Block Buster Champion! Pinboliada Champion! Archery 2000 Champion! Elite Mahjong Full Champion! YetiSports 8 - Jungle Swing v32 Champion! Glum Ball Glumballs Champion! Glum Ball_v32 Champion! Yeti Puzzlekick Champion! Mahjongg Alchemy Champion! Glum Ball Champion! Yeti Sports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion! Skee Ball Champion! Sacred Symbols Normal Champion! X-Training Champion! Crash Bandicoot Champion! Bubble King Champion! Power Arrow Very Hard Champion! Power Arrow Medium Champion! Power Arrow Hard Champion! Blood Red Champion! Marble Roller - Easy Champion! The Red Dwarf Champion! Rocket Man Easy Champion! Sacred Symbols Champion! Volvo Motor Factory Champion! 7 Seas Estates v32 BuZZ Champion! Bad Adebayor Champion! Zball Champion! Bloons Junior Champion! MatchIt 2 v2.0 Champion! Vacation Blues Champion! Bucketball 2 Champion! Beard O Kills Champion! Pigeon Hunter Champion! Planarity Champion! Attraction Champion! Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion! What is the Color? Champion! Red and Blue Champion! BLOSICS 2 Champion! Dupligon Champion! Trapr Champion!

I wonder if you could sort of show how people with no empathy think. You could maybe show some early scenes from two points of view with the second one being modified to be more monotone and emotionless from their POV. That probably wouldn't quite work but maybe there would be a way to get the point across early.

I haven't heard of any studies of pedophiles and so I don't know what % of them never were abused as children. I have to believe there's a genetic factor for a certain % of them. But yeah, nurture seems to play a big part. They are pretty much the worst element of society. I actually discovered there was one working at a company I was at and I had to report it to HR in case he hadn't revealed it to them. It turned out he hadn't.
FrodoFraggins is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-17, 03:36 AM   #25
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Send a message via ICQ to Warthawg1 Send a message via AIM to Warthawg1 Send a message via MSN to Warthawg1 Send a message via Yahoo to Warthawg1

I finished this tonight, and honestly I thought it was pretty well done overall.

.. and if I was Fitz, I would have been tapping that...

Oh sorry about that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I walk across the dreaming sands, under the pale moon...

through the dreams of countries and cities, past dreams of places long gone, and times beyond recall.
Warthawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-17, 06:01 PM   #26
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Warty, I thought it was really good too. A great job by all involved, but especially Paul Bettany. He played Ted to the hilt.

Last edited by Hodgepodge; 09-19-17 at 06:44 PM.
Hodgepodge is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-17, 08:33 PM   #27
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Send a message via ICQ to Warthawg1 Send a message via AIM to Warthawg1 Send a message via MSN to Warthawg1 Send a message via Yahoo to Warthawg1

Yes he did... I liked everyone in it.

I walk across the dreaming sands, under the pale moon...

through the dreams of countries and cities, past dreams of places long gone, and times beyond recall.
Warthawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »