Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Movies > Movies General Discussion > Rate The Last Movie You Watched

Old 03-01-17, 06:57 PM   #3591
KevinNU7
Pushes the Button

Re: Rate The Last Movie You Watched

Moonlight 6 out of 10. I didn't hate it but I didn't love it. It was like I had already seen the movie. Personally I don't think there was enough depth in the characters, all the interactions seemed very shallow to me so I didn't feel any emotional connections.

Arrival 7/8 out of 10. Wasn't expecting much but it pulled me in and though the ending was a bit hard to swallow I think it worked well and made the story interesting.
KevinNU7 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-17, 11:58 AM   #3592
9mile monster
Calls Ann Arbor weekly
Escapes the Cage

Finding Altamira
Staring Antonia Banderas
7/10

This is a Hollywoodized version of the finding of those prehistoric cave drawings/paintings in Northern Spain around 1860. The story and the predjudices of that era are fascinating because they are so rigid and unlogical.
Nice costuming but the dialogue is somewhat cheesy.
No complaints as it was something to watch that interested me.
Old 03-13-17, 11:07 AM   #3593
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Carries Big Stick

Racing Extinction 7/10

"One of the worst things [anyone] can do to the environment is to make a movie about it."
One of the filmmakers noted that the carbon footprint left by making this film was horrific. So i'll increase my own footprint a little to help promote the movie.

Anyway, I found it engaging and informative. Especially interesting that the Obama administration was in talks with the Japanese government about reopening commercial Pacific whaling. Also that scientists have isolated the song of the blue whale. This film offered more head-spinning moments than I expected. Overall very enjoyable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-17, 06:00 PM   #3594
Pi-o-my
Pushes the Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mile monster View Post
Finding Altamira
Staring Antonia Banderas
7/10

This is a Hollywoodized version of the finding of those prehistoric cave drawings/paintings in Northern Spain around 1860. The story and the predjudices of that era are fascinating because they are so rigid and unlogical.
Nice costuming but the dialogue is somewhat cheesy.
No complaints as it was something to watch that interested me.
Have you seen the Werner Herzog documentary, Cave of Forgotten Dreams? Even though they're from his personal and very eccentric point of view, I think Herzog's docs are better than his fiction films, and this is a great one. Especially if you can see it in 3D.

8 out of 10 for Ashes and Diamonds, an oldie but goodie. For something that could have been overly doctrinaire, it's pretty complex.
Pi-o-my is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-17, 09:48 AM   #3595
Peggy Sawyer
Blew Up the Hatch

Baccarat Champion! Table Blackjack Champion!

La La Land
Beauty and the Beast

both 4/10

In a very rare occurrence for these times, it is possible in some areas to actually see two live-action musicals on the big screen. One is the almost-Oscar winner La La Land (nearing the end of its run) and the other the just-released Beauty and the Beast. Both are clearly successes as far as box office is concerned, and they’ve both, for the most part, been successful from a critical standpoint. But is this the result of a deeper desire for the return of a once-great genre, or the genuine recapturing of a form so long ago lost?

To my eye, filmmakers still have a long way to go before we can reliably announce the successful rebirth of the musical. La La Land has a perfect parallel, in a film called The Artist. Does anyone remember that Best Picture winner of less than a decade ago? It was hailed as the return of the silent film. It was widely celebrated and honored. But who remembers it? The fact is, it was a modest recapturing of the silent-movie style, not half as good as any average film from the '20s, but because it dallied with authenticity, was wildly overrated. Its main fault existed in that it took itself too seriously. Starting on a light note, it had the makings of a breezy throwback comedy. But by the second half, it had to get Dramatic, and out went its only appeal. La La Land is much the same. The first half is a somewhat bright little story of a girl trying to break in as an actress, and her jazz musician boyfriend who is trying to open a club. It's a harmless trifle, but few musicals are anything more than that. By the second half, however, this romance has gotten very gloomy indeed. It takes away the movie's only charm--a charm that does not get compensated for in the musical numbers.

For all of the good dancing and singing that still exist today, it is a shame that Hollywood continues to insist upon non-musical actors for its few musicals. I'm sure these young stars all believe they can rise to the challenge, but the reality is otherwise. Emma Stone--who at least has a smile--can only fake her way through a song, and all that Ryan Gosling can do musically is play piano (which, admittedly, he does well). The choreography is limited to their very basic dancing capabilities, which prevents any number from ever really taking off. Inexplicably, the big opening scene on the freeway (in which a large crowd of presumably actual dancers jump around on their cars) is also very limited choreographically--it's just a lot of gyrating, jumping and swaying, no steps. West Side Story it ain't.

Beauty and the Beast has similar problems, though to different degrees. Emma Watson can't exactly sing, but she's such a glowing movie star, and so otherwise well-suited to her role, that this is one instance in which the vocals can be overlooked. Not so with most of the rest of the main cast. That said, the majority of the movie's faults are artistic ones, and there are many. The choice of adding new, highly undistinguished songs, in place of classics from the excellent Broadway musical version, was a poor one (listen to "Human Again" and "If I Can't Love Her" and then compare them to "Days In The Sun" and "Evermore"...the decision is staggering). The addition of a somber backstory for Belle, some unnecessarily elongated scenes, and a villainous, less absurd Gaston are other missteps. The musical numbers are typically modern in that they give us a lot of fast cuts and few genuine dance moves, with the addition (as this is Disney) of bigness. "Be Our Guest" wants to evoke a Busby Berkeley number, but the director here forgets that Berkeley kept his camera trained on his kaleidoscopes for more than two seconds at a time...he let his routine, fast-paced though it may have been, develop. This dinner may be good food, but it's force-fed.

And speaking of force-fed, my final remark on B&B is in regard to a noticeable degree of political correctness that it tends to overstate throughout. Let me stress that this is not a matter of where one stands on social issues. Whether one agrees or disagrees with any point a scene may make is entirely irrelevant. But there is an art to subtlety that filmmakers would do well to rediscover. I know that if a movie feels calculated, manufactured, or obvious, it takes me out of the story. Very little of B&B went by without my seeing a boardroom in my head checking off a key point here, a plot-device-by-committee there. Can no one just make a genuine, spontaneous movie anymore?

For the best version of Beauty and the Beast, I recommend either seeing the stage version or watching the 25th Anniversary Edition DVD of the animated original--it incorporates a great extra scene.

So the quest for a great new live-action musical goes on. Meanwhile, I'll do what these filmmakers should have done; pull out a copy of 42nd Street, Top Hat, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Singin' In The Rain, Gigi, The Sound of Music, etc, and see how they were done.

Because we could use a lot more of this form of entertainment.
Old 04-04-17, 04:45 AM   #3596
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Carries Big Stick

I've spent some time recently catching up on the MCU (Marvel Comics Universe) film franchise, not in any particular order.

The last movie i watched was Thor, which i believe is 3rd or 4th in the series, which now encompasses something like 14 films and 3 television series, some of which have multiple seasons.

Had i been paying attention when this movie was made, i might've given it a 4 or 4.5, maybe even a 5.

Seeing it today, i have to say: 3.10

-9 points for bad screenwriting; redemptive point for acting that rose above the script it was given, which is high praise; therefore also redemptive point for great casting. Also a half point redemption for cameos and (and i love saying this) preemptive retconning.

ETA: SFX points 0 because they were cool and all, but not anything beyond what should have been considered average by the standards of the time they were made. In fact, i drop it to a 3 for the fairly poor bifrost bridge.
Quote:
Mo, I you
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

Last edited by Mr Mo; 04-04-17 at 04:51 AM. Reason: 3 not 3.5 (and definitely didn't hit pi along the way)
Old 04-20-17, 06:22 AM   #3597
tracy18
Arrives By Sub

Inside Llewyn Davis - 9/10
tracy18 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-17, 03:20 PM   #3598
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Carries Big Stick

The Andromeda Strain: 6.5/10
Quote:
Mo, I you

Old 05-28-17, 01:17 PM   #3599
Zaphod of Whiskers
Sees Walt

Location: You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

Train to Busan: 9/10. Possibly the best zombie picture I've ever seen. Fair warning this is a South Korean movie, so you will need to read subtitles. It beats World War Z hands down. Some humor, some amazing sequences, lots of emotional tugs, and the zombies are TERRIFYING.

SEE THIS.

Transmit the message, to the receiver,
Hope for an answer some day
I got three passports, a couple of visas,
You don't even know my real name
Zaphod of Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-17, 05:40 PM   #3600
Maturin
Loyaulté me lie
Hears the Whispers

Their Finest

8/10

This will be out of theaters very soon, but is well worth seeing at home. It's set in London during the Blitz, and is the story of people making a movie about Dunkirk, while dealing with love, loss, and the balance between art and war-time public relations. It's kind of a love letter to storytelling that features Bill Nighy -- what else do you need?

This movie would pair well with "Hope and Glory" (also about life and loss amid the Blitz), and with "A Matter of Life and Death," which was a real-life instance of the story "Their Finest" is telling. "Life and Death," one of my all-time favorite movies, was written in part to prepare Brits for the avalanche of Yanks into their island en route to battle in Europe.

The title "Their Finest" is from the book the movie is based on, "Their Finest Hour and A Half," by Lissa Evans. Both titles are based on one of Winston Churchill's great speeches.

--> Jopt dis pit Tudel. <--

Last edited by Maturin; 05-29-17 at 05:43 PM.
Maturin is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Movies > Movies General Discussion »