Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > 13 Reasons Why - Netflix

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 04-03-17, 06:30 PM   #11
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Re: 13 Reasons Why - Netflix

13 Reasons Why AfterBuzz, Tape 1, Side A

Hodgepodge is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-17, 06:40 PM   #12
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

S01E02 - "Tape 1, Side B"
Friday - March 31, 2017
Netflix

Spoiler: Promo & Episode Description

Clay is afraid of what he'll hear on Side B. Luckily, it's not about him but about Jessica. Source
Hodgepodge is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-17, 01:19 AM   #13
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Now, I really liked this episode.

Tape 1, Side B, is about another friend of Hannah's, Jessica. And, may I say, a very capable actress. She was completely believable.

She and Hannah are introduced by their school counselor, a very wide-eyed teacher with a very outgoing personality. Two items, two teenage girls would hate from the beginning.

But, it just so happens, Hannah and Jessica hit it off. They meet regularly at the coffee shop, where they drink hot chocolate and talk about the problems of "their" day.

It's at the coffee shop they meet the third member of their newly formed friendship, Alex. Soon, you can't find one without the others. They're inseparable!

But soon, there's a rift between the three. Alex and Jessica begin to date and forget to inform Hannah. Obviously, she takes this personally and subtlety takes it out on both of them at the movies. "I thought you didn't work on Wednesday's?"

Like the majority of high-school relationships, Alex and Jessica's run its course. Hannah tries to comfort each, but ends up in the crossfire of them both.

Things get worse still when Alex creates a high-school "hot list". Jessica is upset because she wins "worst-ass", while Hannah wins for "best-ass". Jessica assumes this means Hannah and Alex are now an item.

Now, all of this obviously happened in a flashback. In the "present", Jessica is a cheerleader, but looks completely out of it. Dark circles under her eyes and she can't find Justin.

Now, here's something I learned as the father of three daughters. A friend would never date an old boyfriend. Teenage-girl rule #1! So, Jessica broke that rule by dating Justin who was Hannah's first kiss at Liberty.

But, the most important aspect of this is the missing Justin. No one has seen him since his he left Mr. Porter's classroom. Jessica is beside herself. Watching it, finding him seemed like life and death.

Listening to the tapes, Clay realizes he's not the first person to hear them. Jessica has heard them. She pleads with Clay not to believe what he hears. Boy, I can't wait to find out what Jessica did.

Adding to my suspense, Jessica finally finds Justin living at Bryce's. He's in the pool house playing video games, drinking and getting high. She tells him Clay has the tapes and she's afraid he might share them with the police. WTF! What did they do?

Here's something else that's really strange. Nsguy, this is right up your alley.

Hannah's mother finds Alex's "hot-list" stuck in one of Hannah's books. She thinks its proof Hannah was bullied by others at school and she wants to sue everyone including the school. She calls Tony, who comes directly over and consoles the family. What in the HELL does Tony know?
Old 04-04-17, 01:35 AM   #14
boonian androphile
poet laureate
Hears the Whispers

Location: toronto pride. with trudeau. i mean i wish i was...

I've already finished episode 10. If I comment on anything specific to episode 2, I'll have to rewatch the episode. But I think I will finish the series first. I'm too far in.

Old 04-04-17, 06:00 PM   #15
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonian androphile View Post
I've already finished episode 10. If I comment on anything specific to episode 2, I'll have to rewatch the episode. But I think I will finish the series first. I'm too far in.

Well, the point of this "new" viewing option wasn't to stifle marathoning, but to keep spoilers to a minimum and discussion to a maximum.

BA, I watch so many series, and in turn, episodes, if I didn't take notes, there'd be no way to comment on them. And yeah, that does sound like a lot of work, but you do what you got'a do.
Old 04-04-17, 07:09 PM   #16
boonian androphile
poet laureate
Hears the Whispers

I know what you're saying. When Sense8 finally comes out I'll probably watch it in 3 or 4 days. As for 13 there's no hassle in returning to episode 2. Maybe I'll note something I didn't before. Plus I can bounce off your comments. That maybe is how I'll start...
Old 04-04-17, 11:14 PM   #17
nsguy
Cons the Conman

I'm sticking to your schedule Hodge, but I'm finding it hard. I've got in the habit of zooming through 2 or 3 episodes a night of good netflix shows and this is a good show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
Adding to my suspense, Jessica finally finds Justin living at Bryce's. He's in the pool house playing video games, drinking and getting high. She tells him Clay has the tapes and she's afraid he might share them with the police. WTF! What did they do?
Nothing good I'm afraid. The fact that the other two guys were sitting on the couch playing video games while Justin and Jessica were having the conversation gave me a really sick feeling.

Quote:
Hannah's mother finds Alex's "hot-list" stuck in one of Hannah's books. She thinks its proof Hannah was bullied by others at school and she wants to sue everyone including the school. She calls Tony, who comes directly over and consoles the family. What in the HELL does Tony know?
Tony is a really interesting character. He seems like a nice guy and seems to treat Clay well, but at the same time there's something a little disturbing about him. Can't quite put my finger on it.

I'm finding this show very intriguing and am look forward to seeing where the tapes take us and how dark and disturbing it gets.

When can we watch the next episode?
nsguy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-17, 11:41 PM   #18
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsguy View Post
I'm sticking to your schedule Hodge, but I'm finding it hard. I've got in the habit of zooming through 2 or 3 episodes a night of good netflix shows and this is a good show...
I'm not holding myself to one episode every 3-days. I'm currently up to episode 5 (Tape 3, Side A). I'm just taking copious notes for the discussion.

Quote:
...The fact that the other two guys were sitting on the couch playing video games while Justin and Jessica were having the conversation gave me a really sick feeling...
I immediately thought they knew about the tapes themselves. Justin's the type of guy who would've shared the tapes with his buddies anyway. What a douchebag!

Quote:
...Tony is a really interesting character. He seems like a nice guy and seems to treat Clay well, but at the same time there's something a little disturbing about him. Can't quite put my finger on it...
I'm still trying to figure out why he got to listen to the tapes if he wasn't on them. Maybe he and Hannah had a "thing" going on. He's apparently very close to the family.

Clay told his mother he and Tony had a school project together. I get the impression he's already graduated. He even seems older than the rest of the guys.

Did you notice how he came to Clay's defense when Justin's friends offered him a ride home? And, those guys were scared too.

Quote:
...I'm finding this show very intriguing and am look forward to seeing where the tapes take us and how dark and disturbing it gets.

When can we watch the next episode?
This episode definitely drove me further into the series. This one really caught my interest.

Now, if everyone agrees, we can go back to the "old" way of watching dumped series. Post your comments under the spoiler tag. But, with the "new" rules, the next discussion is, Thursday, April 6, 2017 (Tape 2, Side A).
Old 04-04-17, 11:47 PM   #19
boonian androphile
poet laureate
Hears the Whispers

No one else is discussing here. I say speed things up and have a new episode each day or so. It's just the three of us as far as I can tell. Let me catch up today (in terms of posting) and then tomorrow move on to episode 3. And the day after episode 4. If you want to go that fast.

Other people can start their own first viewing threads if they're so inclined. As long as they know not to peruse this thread without being spoiled.

Last edited by boonian androphile; 04-04-17 at 11:50 PM.
boonian androphile is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-17, 02:38 AM   #20
boonian androphile
poet laureate
Hears the Whispers

Quote:

Now, I really liked this episode.
Actually I did too. Except for two aspects. One infuriated me. The other disappointed me.

Quote:
Tape 1, Side B, is about another friend of Hannah's, Jessica. And, may I say, a very capable actress. She was completely believable.
On this my second viewing I found her to exhibit fire in her character that the story frankly needed from the secondary cast.

Quote:
She and Hannah are introduced by their school counselor, a very wide-eyed teacher with a very outgoing personality. Two items, two teenage girls would hate from the beginning.
Yes. And collectively they toyed with her. More on the guidance counselor later.

Quote:
But, it just so happens, Hannah and Jessica hit it off. They meet regularly at the coffee shop, where they drink hot chocolate and talk about the problems of "their" day.
one incidental reason that this friendship may have ended was that it was outside the school environment. Hannah was okay with that but Jessica's too much of a joiner.

Quote:
It's at the coffee shop they meet the third member of their newly formed friendship, Alex. Soon, you can't find one without the others. They're inseparable!

But soon, there's a rift between the three. Alex and Jessica begin to date and forget to inform Hannah. Obviously, she takes this personally and subtlety takes it out on both of them at the movies. "I thought you didn't work on Wednesday's?"

Like the majority of high-school relationships, Alex and Jessica's run its course. Hannah tries to comfort each, but ends up in the crossfire of them both.

Things get worse still when Alex creates a high-school "hot list". Jessica is upset because she wins "worst-ass", while Hannah wins for "best-ass". Jessica assumes this means Hannah and Alex are now an item.
Alex suited them both for awhile. The trio might have stuck together better if he was gay. Seriously. But I think as Alex and Jessica (probably secretly) grew more attracted to each other, Hannah was the third person out. Even when Alex and Jessica were no longer an item, both had established ties with the high school nucleus, which further left Hannah in the cold. Meanwhile, after Jessica slapped Hannah, Hannah should have punched her ass to the ground. Alex is pretty much a dweeb.

Quote:
Now, all of this obviously happened in a flashback. In the "present", Jessica is a cheerleader, but looks completely out of it. Dark circles under her eyes and she can't find Justin.
Yes. Plus I think her difficulty in conversations with Clay shows her anxiety.

Quote:
Now, here's something I learned as the father of three daughters. A friend would never date an old boyfriend. Teenage-girl rule #1! So, Jessica broke that rule by dating Justin who was Hannah's first kiss at Liberty.
I have no reference. I had secret sex in HS but wasn't open until college years. Gay and Lesbian folk sleep with everyone that everyone else knows ultimately and at sometime. It's just random which gay and lesbian past present or future partners are jealous enough to throw a fit. Rumor has it that lesbians are more possessive and dramatic. Maybe yes. Maybe no. I've seen my share of jealous gay males. One punched me in my house once! But I shamed him into guilt. I was mad.

Quote:
But, the most important aspect of this is the missing Justin. No one has seen him since his he left Mr. Porter's classroom. Jessica is beside herself. Watching it, finding him seemed like life and death.
To her yes. I wonder what the conversation between him and Porter was.

Quote:
Listening to the tapes, Clay realizes he's not the first person to hear them. Jessica has heard them. She pleads with Clay not to believe what he hears. Boy, I can't wait to find out what Jessica did.
Yes I got that too. But what still confuses me a little is the sequencing of who listens and whether there is just one set of tapes and why if there's only one set of tapes would certain people just destroy them. Clearly that hasn't happened and there must be a reason for that.

Quote:
There's one point that they almost speak in code. I can't remember the lines.

Quote:
Well with Tony seemingly following Clay everywhere, Tony has some knowledge. Tony says: Clay you're the slowest one yet. This means that everyone else has already listened? Clay says it hurts too much to hear her voice. Did others have the same reaction?

meanwhile:

as I said this second viewing. this time I noticed the lovely opening of the two windows side by side. Clay fills one window. the other window is empty.

red car hallucination? or was it there and left by the time Clay made it out the door?

mom's trying to fix things.

I love the line by Clay. What time did you have to get up? Yesterday?

But this moment infuriates me to where I want to punch mom in the mouth. you don't spring a bottle of pills on someone just because someone else did something and certainly without that person's permission. I don't care if he is a minor. Why don't you force him into therapy while you're at it? totally unacceptable. it's almost abuse.

the locker shrine I find weird. a fake sort of grieving. what one does according to tradition.

as for the first guidance counselor, I sort of skipped over her on first viewing because the scene involving her was getting on my nerves. But the writer in me landed on Antilly as a name. First I thought of Aunt Tilly as in an over-enthusiastic relative who has no business to be in your life but since you're visiting throws you a party. Also Antille(s) is another name for the West Indes, as in islands. I wonder if growing up this woman was isolated and has overcompensated in adult life by being this insanely peppy. I wonder if she's actually hiding lifelong loneliness.

then there's clay getting knocked down or losing balance a second time. in the first episode he essentially did it himself. here he's pushed almost anonymously. As in by the entire school society.

(there's a line by Hannah that's clearer now on second viewing but I wont put it here. i'll save it to match it with its tape.)

there's a scene I like. it's where Clay and Hannah sit outside during lunch on two cinema seats surrounded by a mural. Their conversation seems to collapse. Hannah snaps at Clay I think pretty unreasonably. Clay can't find the right words or even very many words to fulfill Hannah's demands for---something? Hannah. if you want someone to be your friend, don't treat that person like others are treating you...

movie titles at the cinema:
six points down???
pair of dice lost. that's obvious.

the part where everyone is at Bryce's is not specifically bad but it's where i'd prefer that the story stay more with the principles. this is where I want more of the story perceived and told through Clay and Hannah. the scene may be important per se, but... maybe if someone we had seen Jessica listening to the tapes, even as a glimpse, then I think the structure of wandering away from the principles could be more justified.

And yes. the ending. the ubiquitous Tony. What is his story???
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »