Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > The Expanse - SyFy Wednesday

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 03-02-17, 03:22 PM   #81
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Re: The Expanse - SyFy Wednesday

I haven't watched last night's episode yet and I plan to do that today. So, I wanted to post my thoughts about episode five before viewing six.

S2E05 - “Home"

I thought episode 5 was the best of the season so far. It was exciting! I was on the edge of my seat -- so much action! The effects were excellent and at times visually stunning! I wish I could have seen this episode on a theater screen. And this episode was so emotional on many levels.

Everybody is trying to wrap their head around the fact that the Eros Station -- on an asteroid -- moved itself out of the Nauvoo's path.

Back at the UN, Chrisjen tries to quell the accusations that Mars is on the attack as the Eros Station is now on a collision course with Earth.

Holden and crew match speed with the Eros Station as it speeds up towards Earth. It's now impossible to rescue Miller at those speeds.

Miller decides to enter the Station and get to the center of the Blue life. ** I don't know about anyone else, but I immediately compared Miller to Bruce Willis in Armageddon. Both, alone on an asteroid on course to collide with earth, and both the only ones who can stop it, and both are on a suicide mission. Did anyone else think that?

Anyway Miller lugs the bomb inside the Eros Station and starts toward the most active Blue area. (And why is that bomb so heavy? I would have thought it would be weightless in space?)

Earth decides to launch missiles at the Eros Station to destroy it. But as the missiles draw closer the Eros Station disappears off radar. You can imagine the chaos that caused! Fred Johnson contacts Earth and tells the council that the Rocinante can still see the Eros Station and they need to give him (Johnson) control of the missiles so he and the Roscinante can guide them in. You know that caused a debate!

Chrisjen wants to talk to the Roscinante and Holden comes onscreen. Holden vows to see the mission through and Chrisjen vouches for him. So the missiles are turned over. The Eros Station picks up speed and since the Roscinante can't lose visual, they also pick up speed but it's going to be a perilous chase for them.

On the Eros, Miller is hearing voices and he makes out one to be Julie Mao. (It's at this time that I began to wonder if it really was Julie or wishful thinking on Miller's part.) Miller tells the Roscinante that it's Julie Mao guiding the station -- just as the protomolecule infected her -- she infected it -- and is just trying to go home -- unaware that she will be destroying Earth. Miller wants them to stop chasing -- the station will be able to deflect anything they throw at her -- the only way to stop it is to stop Julie and he thinks he can reach her.

The Roscinante stops chasing and Johnson sends the missiles off into space.

In the meantime, a vast evacuation of earth is taking place, but Chrisjen elects not to evacuate. Wow!

Back on the Eros Station, Miller is trying to convince Julie that she is guiding the station but she doesn't believe him. She feels all alone and just wants to go home. Miller has her place her hand on the bomb (which effectively diffuses it) and then Miller takes off his space suit and embraces Julie, telling her she's not alone -- he's with her.

Chrisjen on Earth, Johnson on the Tyco Station and the Roscinante crew look on as the Eros Station collides with Venus and is obliterated.

R.I.P. Detective Miller -- I'm going to miss you.

Formerly known as clayseason1
sandi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-17, 07:39 PM   #82
Pi-o-my
Pushes the Button

I can't help wondering if there's a "Paradigm Shift" we just haven't seen yet -- a shift that might have happened to Miller and Julie after that lovely "Sleeping Beauty" of a scene. Are they both now Venusian dust or could they be, um, "Kind of Blue"?

Watching Naomi's discussion with Fred Johnson about using Miller and Julie's deaths to manipulate people, I thought that it showed Naomi as, in addition to being good at political manipulation, also very cynical about love. Look out, Puppy-eyes Holden! Plus, she then goes and does the opposite of what the rest of the group had agreed was the best fate for the hidden Blue sample.

Avasarala's conversation with Errinwright was great to see. Also, it revealed that Jules-Pierre Mao has an heir and a spare of each gender...
Pi-o-my is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-17, 10:58 AM   #83
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

The Expanse

S2E07 - “The Seventh Man"
Wednesday, March 8, 2107
SyFy 10/9c

Spoiler: Description and promo
"Preparations for the Earth/Mars peace conference lead to tightening tension on Erringwright." Source

Old 03-15-17, 04:14 PM   #84
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

The Expanse

S2E08 - “Pyre"
Wednesday, March 15, 2107
SyFy 10/9c

Spoiler: Description and Promo
"Naomi tracks down signs of protomolecule; and Fred Johnson's control over OPA collapses." Source

Old 03-16-17, 04:27 PM   #85
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Episode 6

137 years ago
Solomon Epstein (Mars colony) is testing a drive he had been working on, and is catapaulted through space faster than he dreamed. Due to the force, he was unable to reach controls and stop the drive. We know he left the design at home with his wife. We don't know if he ever returned. However, we do know that the Epstein drive changed space travel and is currently in place with the Martians.

Theory: I think Epstein is the link between the protomolecule and events occurring in present time. I think his spacecraft at some point reached another galaxy where the protomolecule was the basis of its life-forms. I think the protomolecule either back-tracked or possibly "took-over" Epstein and eventually found its way back to our galaxy. Thoughts?

Earth
Chrisjen meets with Dr. Michael Iturbi (an old friend). He volunteers to go to Venus as her "eyes and ears" and he conjectures that what happened on Eros was due to a new life form being experimented with. (Boy did he hit the nail on the head).

Later Chrisjen gives Errinwright a dressing down about Mao and she'll ruin him if he doesn't bring Mao in to question.

Question: Why does Errinwright want a war with Mars?

Tyco Station

Fred Johnson has Earth's thirty missing nukes and he intends to keep them and use them for leverage. He believes the threat places the Belters on equal footing with Earth and Mars. Naomi helps Drummer, Fred's right hand, disable the missiles countermeasures. Naomi and Drummer, both belters, continue to grow closer.

Holden and crew (after some debate) finally agree to get rid of the protomolecule they hid among debris in space. Holden orders Naomi to send it into the sun. But Naomi only pretends to -- she runs a simulation that looks like she fired it away -- but she didn't. Holden believes she did though. (Prediction: This subterfuge will be the thorn that ultimately ends their close relationship. Holden will never fully trust her again.)

Ganymede (Earth/Mars shared farming moon)
Martian, Bobbie Draper and her marines patrol the border zone. They see six UN marines who appear to be charging them. They form a defense line, gunfire breaks out and everyone goes down -- Bobbie the only survivor. As she passes out, someone looms over her and although its shape is that of a man -- it looks alien -- it looks BLUE!

Episode 7 -- The Seventh Man

Mars

Bobbie undergoes debriefing while she recovers. She tells her superiors that the UN Forces attacked first and they were just defending their border. Later, she's given some drugs so that she can recall the events with greater accuracy and detail and recall them she does.

It turns out the UN marines were not attacking but fleeing from a "Seventh Man", who Bobbie remembers wasn't wearing a space suit. Bobbie also remembers seeing a drone overhead before passing out.

Bobbie's superiors want her to go to the UN/Mars peace conference on Earth to tell her story but they do not want her to mention the "Seventh Man" or the drone. She's to leave that out and just report that mistakes were made on both sides (or something like that).

Question: Now why wouldn't the Martians want the Earth to know that there was an intruder? Someone other than either side was responsible -- why would they want to hide that? (My only conclusion is that Mars is "in bed" or behind the initial research on the protomolecule. Maybe they're are trying to develop it as a weapon and control it? Which makes sense to me as the scientist originally in charge -- the one Miller shot -- was going on and on about saving Earth -- maybe they collected the protomolecule from the Martian station (Phoebe station?) and have been working on it?)

Tycho Station

Anderson Dawes and other OPA (the Outer Planets Alliance (loosely united Belters fighting for Belters' rights -- much like a union, although there are insurgents within the OPA urging more aggressive tactics) factions arrive on Tycho (OPA HQ). Fred Johnson wants to return the nukes to Earth as evidence that the Belters should be equals with Earth and Mars but not so Dawes. Dawes doesn't think Earth and Mars will ever treat the Belters as equals but agrees the nukes should be returned to avoid further conflict. But Dawes learns of Fred's secret weapon -- Cortazar (the protogen scientist) and kidnaps him. His ship gets away from Tycho just before they learn of Cortazar's dissapearance.

Alex and Naomi, on board the Rocinante, pursue Dawes' ship. When they finally overtake and capture the vessel, they find only Diogo on board. Seems that ship was just a diversion allowing Dawes to escape with Cortazar by other means.

Episode 8 - Pyre

Freighter on route to Tycho -- carrying Ganymede survivors.
Dr Praxidike Meng (a belter born Ganymede) is among the surviving refugees being transported to Tycho station. The refugees are gathered in an empty cargo hold and their hosts (freighters) only extend the barest of help -- tossing out a few supplies. Dr. Meng was a biologist on Ganymede and is looking for his daughter, Mei. Another survivor, Doris (Martian and Meng's friend) tells him Mei didn't survive as she was in the clinic which took a direct hit from a destroyed mirrored satellite.)

The freighters separate the refugees calling those from Earth and Mars to come forward as they are going to be offloaded and sent to a different recovery location. Meng follows Doris as she invited him to return to Mars with her but he's detained and kept from entering the airlock as he's a Belter. The freighter guy opens the airlock but there's no transport -- just space. The Earth and Mars refugees are ejected into space where they die a horrible death.

Tycho Station

Alex and Naomi return with their prisoner Diogo and learn that Dawes escaped on a small ship on the opposite side of the station while everyone was focused on his ship manned by Diogo.

Dawes also sends a message (which everyone hears and sees). Dawes accuses Fred of lying about destroying the protomolecule and that he (Dawes) is going to find it and it turn it over to the Belters. Dawes pretty much skewers Fred and strips him of any authority over Belters.

Dr. Meng arrives on Tycho and reports his friends being spaced to a doctor. But she's in no position to do anything about it at the time since she's surrounded by many refugees in need of medical attention.

Naomi and Drummer check the exterior communications to determine where the protomolecule signal Cortazar heard came from. It turns out -- Ganymede. So, Naomi and Holden search for Ganymede personnel with ties to Protogen and there's only one -- Dr. Lawrence Strickland -- a pediatrician at the Ganymede clinic -- Mei's pediatrician. They track down Dr. Meng, who is able to access video on his daughter and apparently Dr. Strickland left the clinic with her about an hour before the attack!

OMG! I hate this! If Strickland is working on the protomolecule and he elected to save Mei from an attack he must have known was going to happen, that can only mean that Mei is part of the experiment. What else could it mean?

Tycho Belters after hearing Dawes message to Fred Johnson take over the command center, killing a few people while doing so. They demand that Fred give them the missile's codes but Fred refuses. They shoot Drummer, who is severely injured, but Fred still refuses. One of the Belters looks to crack the codes and begins making progess. In the meantime -- Holden and crew work to cut off oxygen to the command center. Amos goes outside the station and accesses the utility lines and cuts off the oxygen. Everyone inside the control center passes out which allows Holden and crew to come in and rescue Johnson and Drummer.

As Drummer is being helped out of the command center, she grabs a gun and shoots the lead Belter and the guy going for the codes.

Holden and crew (and Dr. Meng) are all aboard the Rocinante but Fred Johnson won't clear them to leave. Holden is taking the Rocianante to Ganymede to try and destroy the remaining protomolecule -- Meng is going along in the hopes his daughter is still alive. Fred finally releases the ship but tells Holden they won't be welcome back to the Tycho Station. Holden tells him that's okay as he doesn't think Johnson will be in charge by then anyway.

Old 03-17-17, 08:02 PM   #86
Pi-o-my
Pushes the Button

Sandi, I think Errinwright is in the pocket of a (or several) big corporation. As to Mars wanting to keep the Seventh "Man" a secret, I'm not sure if their military is also in the pocket of a corporation. Remember Chrijen saying that corporations only think they're above the government? I don't know if she's right.

I love how the Belters all have different accents, with Drummer's sounding like a high-class Brit and Dawes' sounding like a Cockney Brit.

What's going on with Amos? He hasn't been in any contact with the Blue, right? Maybe it's just that he isn't as comfortable with Holden and Naomi being together as he said, but I don't think that's what's making him so strange. (Besides, that 'ship may not last once Holden finds out about that not-destroyed sample of Blue.)
Old 03-17-17, 09:27 PM   #87
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Quote:
What's going on with Amos? He hasn't been in any contact with the Blue, right? Maybe it's just that he isn't as comfortable with Holden and Naomi being together as he said, but I don't think that's what's making him so strange. (Besides, that 'ship may not last once Holden finds out about that not-destroyed sample of Blue.)
Remember Amos talking to Cortazar about that empathy "lobotomy"? Well, he was no where to be found for a while after that. I thought he was just drinking away his troubles in the local brothel but maybe he was getting that operation?

Old 03-20-17, 05:30 PM   #88
Pi-o-my
Pushes the Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandi View Post
Remember Amos talking to Cortazar about that empathy "lobotomy"? Well, he was no where to be found for a while after that. I thought he was just drinking away his troubles in the local brothel but maybe he was getting that operation?
Eek, what a terrible thought! Would that operation even be available on Tycho?

My original thinking was that if Amos' weirdness was caused by that refugee kid acting like Amos was "a monster," then Amos would likely be doing more to help the refugees, rather than going off by himself to hunt for Lydia, the woman from his past. Now I'm thinking that the refugee kid was the reason for Amos' behavior but not because it made Amos feel empathy for the survivors. I'm thinking maybe it made Amos feel guilty for how his mother died -- which we don't (yet) know details about but maybe he feels he didn't do enough to protect her and he wants the story from Lydia (whoever she is.) Notice that he said something to Dr. Meng about searching for your child being a good reason to put yourself at risk.

Speaking of Dr. Meng -- I really liked that when Holden and Naomi grabbed him, he thought he was in trouble because of reporting what may have been a war crime. But shouldn't they be more suspicious about his soybean plant? Especially because they know there was Blue calling out from Ganymede. And an innocent-seeming patient of that "pediatrician" might be someone they want to be wary of, which could be difficult with her father right there.
Old 03-22-17, 06:12 PM   #89
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

The Expanse

S2E09 - “The Weeping Somnambulist"
Wednesday, March 22, 2107
SyFy 10/9c

Spoiler: Description and Promo
"Bobbie becomes a pawn in a political struggle between Earth and Mars." Source

Old 03-28-17, 07:52 PM   #90
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Ganymede
Holden, Naomi and Amos board a two-man relief ship en route to Ganymede and commandeer it so they can gain access to the farming station and search for Dr. Strickland any signs of the protomolecule. (They brought Dr. Meng along.) Alex (still on the Rocinante) hides the ship behind a moon and waits to pick-up Holden & crew and hopefully get away intact.

The two freighters (appears to be a husband/wife team) are not too happy to be boarded and forced to cooperate. They successfully dock and Holden's group debarks. As they are walking away, some Ganymede tough looking guys board the relief ship. The thugs had made a deal with the couple to skim 10% of the supplies but they changed their minds -- they want the whole shipment and the ship itself. But Holden and crew suspected something amiss and come back on board. There's a gunfight resulting in the Ganymede thugs' deaths plus the husband crew member of the relief ship. The wife is angry and blames Holden but there's nothing anyone can do about the way things turned out. Holden's group again debarks and starts their search.

I thought the woman's reaction -- the anger and blame on Holden -- completely misguided. If it hadn't been for Holden -- she would also be dead too. As it is, she's alive and has her ship. I know that's no consolation with her husband dead but it would have been worse had Holden not been there.

Venus

The UN (Earth) ship, Arboghast, is approaching Venus. They are looking for any part of the Eros Station that may have survived. Dr. Iturbi (Chrisjen's "spy") and the commander of the vessel butt heads over their views on alien life. But are interrupted when they pick up a signal from a Martian ship which appears to be following them. But the ship remains silent after the Arboghast requests communication. Failing to communicate, the commander sends a message indicating any aggression on the Martian ship's part will be construed as an act of war as they are on a peace fact-finding mission.

The Arboghast reaches the Eros Station impact crater and their instruments pick up the presence of biological compounds in the area above the crater which should be impossible. Later, Dr. Iturbi relays this information to Chrisjen on Earth.

Holy Guacamole! Could it be that Miller and Julie -- at least a part of them -- survived?!!! (along with the protomolecule of course). Immediately springing to my mind is Spock being regenerated in the Star Trek movies after the Genesis "bomb" terra forms the planet his remains were on.

Earth
Martian soldier, Bobbie Draper, appears before the Earth/Mars summit to testify to the events on Ganymede. Her superiors have ordered her to testify that her unit misunderstood the UN troops training actions as an attack and fired upon them (the UN troops) first. Bobbie does this but it's easy to see the report does not sit well with her. One of her troops specifically was blamed as he was from Earth and trying hard to fit in. Again, Bobbie doesn't like this lie but she goes with it because she's been ordered to.

Later, after Bobbie isn't present, the Martians take full responsibility and offer reparations. The UN (Earth) side take advantage of the situation and really extracts every possible thing they can from the Martians. But Chrisjen isn't satisfied and demands to interview Bobbie again.

Once Bobbie returns, Chrisjen effectively extracts at least some of the truth and discovers the seventh man -- the real culprit and the fact that he wasn't wearing a space suit.

I love Chrisjen! Not only is she sly and clever but very intimidating. She not only nailed the Martian leader to the floor, she stomped him like a teeny-tiny mosquito on an elephant's rump. There was no official splat but I swear I heard and saw one.

I really do believe the Martians have been experimenting the whole time with the protomolecule. I also think it's most likely they expected to use it to gain the upper hand and become the leader of Earth as well. I don't know if they were initially associated with Julie Mao's father/Protogen or not. It could be they were or Protogen stumbled upon their research and stole it.
What does everyone else think?

« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »