Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Sports > Sports News > Garoppolo traded to the 49ers

Old 11-01-17, 10:56 PM   #1
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Garoppolo traded to the 49ers

The San Francisco 49ers, have found their franchise Quarterback. Jimmy Garoppolo!

In a trade that I didn't see coming, the 49ers agree to give up their 2nd-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

How do the many non-American's, I mean, New England Patriots fans feel about the trade?

Oh Peggy Sawyer! Soup! Map! Brdmom!
Old 11-01-17, 11:56 PM   #2
TheBigCat
SOUNDERS...erm...SEAHAWKS FTW
Carries Big Stick

Location: Green Hell, temporarily leased out to the 12th Man.
Re: Garoppolo traded to the 49ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
The San Francisco 49ers, have found their franchise Quarterback. Matt Cassel
FIFY

Avatar and sig img courtesy of vincentstuntdbl#23
TheBigCat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-17, 12:52 AM   #3
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

I truly thought Shannahan (spl) was going to wait for Cousins in Washington.
Old 11-02-17, 02:12 AM   #4
Peggy Sawyer
Blew Up the Hatch

Very uncertain where this leaves us. It had better motivate the OL to give Brady maximum protection, because he's got to stay injury-free for the rest of the season.

As far as a second-round pick, I think we could have done better if we'd sought a trade back in the offseason; that said, it will obviously have value.

I think it's an okay-ish move (he wasn't going to stay), but one that could have been better; and it leaves us vulnerable, but (hopefully) not drastically so.
Old 11-02-17, 03:38 AM   #5
Mapinguari
Talks Backwards

Send a message via Yahoo to Mapinguari Send a message via Skype™ to Mapinguari

Honestly, I'm surprised they waited so long.

It was a hell of a luxury to have the not only the best QB in the league on the roster, but the second best QB in the division was backing him up. Garropolo was "Brady gets broken" insurance, and though it was nice to have him, count me in the group of NE fans that NEVER wanted to see him play in a Patriots uniform outside of 4th quarter garbage time. Yeah, he was good when Brady was suspended, but BRADY NEVER SHOULD HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED.

If Brady really CAN play until he's 45 like he says he will (and all signs point to "Sure, Why Not?") then Jimmy was never going to get his shot. Hoyer was a good backup, and now he has some seasoning as a starter. He's at least familiar with the NE system, even if it has changed a bit in the years since he started journeyman-ing around the league.

Paying Jimmy starter cash to have him wait in the wings for his shot was only going to get more difficult as the years wore on. So long as Brady keeps winning, he's not giving up that starter job. It eliminates any potential QB controversies that would arise due to the amount of money he would have gotten paid to ride the pine. People around here were already squawking about wanting to see what Jimmy could do. I am not one of those people.
Old 11-02-17, 03:36 PM   #6
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

I always get the impression that Bill takes less than he can get and trades to people he likes. I've heard that he wanted an early second round pick as the amount to pay goes down a fair amount versus a first round. But that stuff frustrates me
FrodoFraggins is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-17, 05:43 PM   #7
Mapinguari
Talks Backwards

Send a message via Yahoo to Mapinguari Send a message via Skype™ to Mapinguari

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoFraggins View Post
I always get the impression that Bill takes less than he can get and trades to people he likes. I've heard that he wanted an early second round pick as the amount to pay goes down a fair amount versus a first round. But that stuff frustrates me
Yeah, I agree that this can be frustrating at times.
But "In Bill We Trust" is non-negotiable if you buy into it.
We dumped Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins in the last two years, and those moves have yet to really come back to haunt us. Sure, we could use another stud DE or a LB that can do what Collins can do. But if they can't do what they do within the NE system, there is more benefit to moving that player to a team that can use them (or at least THINK they can use them) and recoup some value for the future. The Pats won the SB last year. No offense to Collins or Jones, but NE didn't need them to win it all. Brilliant moves by BB, as usual.

If all goes well, and I think you have to expect it to, Jimmy G would have never started again for the Pats. Ever. Yes, they're putting a lot of monkeys in Brady's barrel, but that's a barrel that I would store my finest possessions in if given a choice. From the Patriots perspective, Brady was always going to be the guy until HE decided it was time to retire. I mean, what does a team offer to acquire the GOAT?

Even at this age, he's a couple of high picks and a player or two at a minimum. He WILL put people in the seats, and the talking heads would be glued to that team regardless of how he did. That team is going to have to pay for him AND his five rings. Not going to happen. I'm not sure the Pats could effectively move him for anything that would appease the fan base. Not while he's still playing and WINNING. It would be like Christians trading Jesus to Buddhism... How would that even WORK? What could they possibly offer that would even make sense? (Yes, I just compared Brady to Jesus. In NE that's normal. Sue me.)

Jimmy has two Super Bowl rings that he really didn't do much in any meaningful game to earn. Having him as a QB in practice helps the defense prepare, and gives Brady a break, but in a game he's done nothing but sit there as a "next man up" call, and that call wasn't coming any time soon. There are scrubs on special teams that have more tackles than JG has snaps, and that has to be frustrating for him. Two rings and he's only taken 2 snaps in a playoff game (a 45-7 blowout of Indy in 2014).
That has to burn a little.
He's finally getting his shot (maybe not till next season, but I digress).
I wish him well, but I trust Bill.
Old 11-02-17, 06:57 PM   #8
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoFraggins View Post
Thanks for bringing this up, FF.

I'm curious, I know the Pats got several offers for Jimmy "G" before the season started. Does anyone know what those offers were?

I totally understand holding onto your insurance policy in case its needed, but I assume the preseason offersheet was more than what you accepted this time around.

What I found strange, with several holes in both the Offense and Defense, why didn't the organization get some personnel for this seasons homestretch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapinguari View Post
...Jimmy has two Super Bowl rings that he really didn't do much in any meaningful game to earn. Having him as a QB in practice helps the defense prepare, and gives Brady a break, but in a game he's done nothing but sit there as a "next man up" call, and that call wasn't coming any time soon. There are scrubs on special teams that have more tackles than JG has snaps, and that has to be frustrating for him. Two rings and he's only taken 2 snaps in a playoff game (a 45-7 blowout of Indy in 2014).
That has to burn a little.
He's finally getting his shot (maybe not till next season, but I digress).
I wish him well, but I trust Bill.
I heard this is exactly how he felt. And probably any player would feel.

Not sure if this is an exaggeration, but I heard when he got the word he'd been traded, someone from the Pats organization tried to call him. When they finally reached him, he was already on a plane to San Francisco. He couldn't wait to get out of "Dodge".
Old 11-02-17, 09:20 PM   #9
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapinguari View Post
I just compared Brady to Jesus. In NE that's normal. Sue me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
I am not allowed to rob a liquor store anymore because I met my own personal Jesus.
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-17, 10:46 PM   #10
TheBigCat
SOUNDERS...erm...SEAHAWKS FTW
Carries Big Stick

Location: Green Hell, temporarily leased out to the 12th Man.

The "Niners Faithful" on the trash talk page ( and at this point they are the only ones left ) are acting like the team just got Brady himself. One of them even had the gall to post up an item from when the Seahawks picked up Matt Flynn from the Packers in FA, perhaps not realizing the irony. He was trying to make a point of how we were all excited about the deal ( I was rather more guarded in my optimism given his limited resume ), thus we are supposed to allow them their giddiness. But it's a page for talking smack and that's NOT the way things work. The Bay Area sports press might blow smoke up their keisters, tell them the team has made the greatest trade in team history but we surely are not going to.

Garoppolo has only a few days to prepare with his new team before his first game, at home v the Palmer-less Cardinals. The FPI pre-game rating calls it a virtual coin-toss, 51% - 49% in favor of Arizona, but with only a competitiveness rating of 1.2 on a scale of 0 to 100, the lowest since a game between Indy and Jacksonville in Week 16 of 2014.

Avatar and sig img courtesy of vincentstuntdbl#23
TheBigCat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Sports > Sports News »