Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > Humans - AMC Monday

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 07-17-15, 02:41 AM   #21
meesh
Wasn't on the List

Thumbs down Re: Humans (AMC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post
i approve of this show
meesh is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-15, 08:09 PM   #22
Miss Milligan
Spinning my wheels
Sees Walt

Collapse Champion! Trapr Champion!
Send a message via Yahoo to Miss Milligan
Re: Humans (AMC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
MissM, there's a conversation around the dinner/breakfast table that's spoken in "everyday street English". That whole scene is a blur to me due to the language.
LOL I watched that again, there is nothing important to the story you get the idea it's just family banter.

George is, of course, Gepetto, and Odi is Pinocchio.

Quite liking the themes in the show. It's my favorite thing on right now. I'd love to have a proper Jane analysis.
Miss Milligan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-15, 10:42 PM   #23
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dew View Post
...Poor Odi is back to hiding in the woods. I agree Hodge that Odi has some connection to George's wife. I was thinking he could have been a son for the 2 of them or perhaps a son died and George made Odi in his likeness...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Milligan View Post
...George is, of course, Gepetto, and Odi is Pinocchio...
I can definitely buy into your theory, Dew.

And we both know, once George gets back home, Nurse Rachette (spl) is going to squeal to her overlords. "Big government", its everywhere.

Odi's on his last leg too. His speech pattern is fouled up. He's got that blue-snot dripping from his nose.

Oh, and MissM, as usual you see everything. What a great catch.

Quote:
...Niska is going to be trouble. She is really independent to a bad end. She makes assumptions quickly then acts like she did when she saw the photo of the man's daughter. She assumed he was cheating when he has visitation with his daughter as a result of a divorce, I presume. She almost killed him...
Dew, she was so close. Plus, she just walked out of the guys apartment, right after leaving the knife right out in the open. I wouldn't be surprised to find out he's reported her to the Authorities.

Quote:
...Anita is really Mia correct? She may have been reprogrammed but she seems aware. Laura better be on her best behavior in case there is a glitch. Since Anita saved Toby there is no chance she is going back, at least at this point...
Yes. Whomever turned her over for cash probably had no idea she was "aware". I'm assuming that's why she still has that capability, or they'd sure turn it off.

Remember, they showed a picture of the guy who made them "aware", do you remember his name? I'd be curious to know whether he worked with George in the beginning?

Oh, and Toby was a dead young boy. That van would've hit and killed him without a doubt. And, Anita was all broken from saving him, but apparently she wasn't much worse for wear. And it was funny when Laura took the bike and everyone else got in the car.

Quote:
...oh btw toothpick in eye wasn't necessary. They could have found a different way.
I cringed! Laura tried to catch her in a lie, about lying. But the needle to the eye ended that.

I'm curious about the idea these androids can't lie. Sort of like, the three laws in, I Robot. And, what is Anita trying to hide about Sophie?
Old 07-18-15, 02:21 AM   #24
Miss Milligan
Spinning my wheels
Sees Walt

They actually mention the "Asimov protections" or some such reference to Asimov by name, so who remembers the rules? Number 1 was cause no human harm?
From Wiki:
A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.

Last edited by Miss Milligan; 07-18-15 at 02:25 AM.
Old 07-18-15, 06:09 PM   #25
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

I really need to watch this episode again.
Old 07-18-15, 09:13 PM   #26
Dew

LOST Scribe
Brainwashed in Room 23

Hodge Hobb mentioned David Elster as the inventor. Well, there really are 3: Elster, Hobb and Millican.

I forgot something about Odi. He has all of George's memories, including his wife.

The guardian angels of life fly so high as to be beyond our sight, but they are always looking down upon us. ~Jean Paul Richter
Dew is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-15, 09:26 PM   #27
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Hodge Hobb mentioned David Elster as the inventor. Well, there really are 3: Elster, Hobb and Millican...
Thanks for that, Dew. Now we have to figure out whether David Elster was ever a part of George Millican's research.

Quote:
...I forgot something about Odi. He has all of George's memories, including his wife.
Oh, now this makes perfect sense, Dew. If George has memory lapses, or if he's suffering from the early stages of Alzheimer's Disease, having Odi around would help keep her fresh in his mind.
Old 07-18-15, 10:48 PM   #28
Jane
Has to go back
Sees Walt

Archery 2000 Champion! 3D Championship Golf Champion! Marblet Champion!

So the first thing I kind of noticed about this show is that we really haven't seen anything of the working class. You know, the millions of people who were displaced by the synths. We've got this lovely upper-middle class family (and I'm really enjoying their story) and the retired engineer and the detective and the synth hunter with a hi-tech lair. But where is the story of the working class people?

And it occurs to me that maybe, just maybe, the synths are a metaphor for the working class. Specifically, an idealized version of the working class from the perspective of the upper classes, of the bourgeoisie and the capitalists. They want workers who toil ceaselessly, without complaint, and without feeling -- after all, workers who don't care they're being exploited can't evoke those pesky feelings of guilt, and certainly don't have moral implications.

In which case, how do we interpret the "waking consciousness" of the few synths who have, well, awakened? I'm taking it as the waking of class consciousness. From my chair, I'm rooting for the synths to achieve a mass awakening, a mass liberation, and ultimately changing the fabric of society.

A much more entertaining and enjoyable show from this perspective.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-15, 12:39 AM   #29
meesh
Wasn't on the List

The working class in a society were no one wants to work? The synths are the illegal immigrants taking jobs none of us want. I just assume there was a need for them or they wouldn't exist. Therefore no one is displaced since no one wants their job.

Their consciousness represents our collective consciousness that we are not truly free even though freedom is what we often consider our greatest achievement as a species.

Last edited by meesh; 07-19-15 at 08:01 AM.
meesh is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-15, 06:20 AM   #30
Miss Milligan
Spinning my wheels
Sees Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post
From my chair, I'm rooting for the synths to achieve a mass awakening, a mass liberation, and ultimately changing the fabric of society.
Yes.
There is a whole undertone of displaced workers, the "We are people" movement that has been showing up as graffiti and posters on poles, the interview on TV with --you in the States might not know this-- the real news anchor for Channel 4 about work being a "right". Oh yes, the working class is displaced and angry. And the replacement-displacement has gone so far now it is impacting the professional class which we see in the teenager in our sample family. It is a very strong theme and I expect more of it.
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »