Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Art & Literature > Literature General Discussion > Warty's Sandman FR - Overture

Literature General Discussion A space to talk about your favorite books, series and authors.

Old 09-19-17, 03:23 AM   #831
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Send a message via ICQ to Warthawg1 Send a message via AIM to Warthawg1 Send a message via MSN to Warthawg1 Send a message via Yahoo to Warthawg1
Re: Warty's Sandman FR - Endless Nights

Delirium - Going Inside

This was odd... beautiful.. chaotic. Most of these stories have been different stylistically, but the Despair and Delirium tales had some frenetic similarity.

5 marked by Delirium go on a mission to apparently save Del from herself? That's what I made of it, be that right or wrong.

It was nice seeing Barnabas and Matthew again, but in this context it was very different than their appearances in the past volumes.

I say the 5 heroes were saving Del, but in the end it seemed they too were saved.. at least one very obviously as she emerged from her catatonic state.

I'm not sure what else to say about this story. It was hard to follow.. in and out of various states of madness.

It did however leave an impression, and that impression was delirium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I walk across the dreaming sands, under the pale moon...

through the dreams of countries and cities, past dreams of places long gone, and times beyond recall.
Warthawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-17, 06:05 AM   #832
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

As for Despair, as i'm sure you knew already and/or sussed out, that's why She likes/needs the hooks. They remind her that she exists. Sometimes pain is only thing that can remind us that we're alive,

Which segues well into Delirium, i think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-17, 08:32 PM   #833
Pi-o-my
Pushes the Button

It's been a long time since I read Endless Nights, and I'm not sure which order the stories are in, so I'll put my comments as a spoiler.

Spoiler: For when Warty finishes the collection
I got a kick out of Destruction creating a minor degree of destruction to prevent major destruction. It looks like, at least on occasion, he's fulfilling his responsibilities as an Endless after all, just in his own interpretation of what he's supposed to be doing.

It was good to learn why Desire and Dream were feuding, but, IIRC, the story was unclear as to whether it was actually Destiny (putting the mortal Glow-girl off Dream) or Desire playing a trick on humorless Dream that caused Glow-girl to fall for Flame-head guy. In either case, I guess it was Dream's over-reaction that caused their rupture.

Destiny's own tale was lovely, all weird perspectives and floating images, and I liked the irony of a character without eyes having such a visually arresting story.
Pi-o-my is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-17, 01:41 AM   #834
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

The close relationship between Despair and Desire (they are twins, after all), might seem to hint that human desire is Endlessly deep. Yet that's never visually hinted at in the books.

On the other hand, perhaps It need only be deep enough to reach a mirror.

I think i confused myself. Does anybody have anything on this concept?
Quote:
Mo, I you
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

Old 09-20-17, 02:22 AM   #835
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Send a message via ICQ to Warthawg1 Send a message via AIM to Warthawg1 Send a message via MSN to Warthawg1 Send a message via Yahoo to Warthawg1

I get the relationship between desire and despair... they are often two sides of the same coin and one not fulfilled often leads to the other. I get that in the mirror is seen what we most desire and the reflection of our innermost being. We can't hide from what we see looking into the mirror and that is why Despair sees us through it.

That's all I got right now.

through the dreams of countries and cities, past dreams of places long gone, and times beyond recall.
Old 09-21-17, 12:51 AM   #836
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Destruction - On the peninsula.

I suppose this immediately followed the events of the last chapter. He is watching Del because the family is worried about her after what happened with her. I don't guess his departure was quite as permanent as first thought. He also seems to have somewhat closed the distance between him and the rest of his estranged family.

Just for the record, Delirium looks like Miley Cyrus at the hand of this artist. Sounds about right.

I don't know if this means Destruction is back ruling his realm, but he seemed awfully interested in the peninsula and destruction was visited upon it before the government could get their hands on everything buried there. I guess he felt Del or both he and Del were somewhat responsible as she might have tried to explain to the archaeologist.
Somehow creating the divergent paths that all end up in the same place, where eventually Death will shut her brothers book.

Which leads us to...

Destiny - Endless nights

Not much to say here, as it is just a very short expose' of everything we already know, will know, or have always known.

Old 09-21-17, 01:35 AM   #837
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

I don't know why I read Endless Nights before Dream Hunters.

They were both there and for some reason I picked it up first.

Old 09-21-17, 04:23 AM   #838
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

NG rec'd Endless Nights as pre-req for Overture. Dream Hunters, not so much. I can understand why he said that, but there is a single frame in Dream Hunters, that i would bet a million of Matthew's pennies, you'd love better than ALL of Endless Nights. Not that Endless Nights doesn't have its moments. Like most of night's best moments, they're best forgotten!
Quote:
Mo, I you

Old 09-23-17, 05:24 AM   #839
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Re: Warty's Sandman FR - Dream Hunters

Dream Hunters - For the Love of a Fox

I went full on Kelly for this one and devoured it in one sitting.

Let's begin...

An unimpressive temple and an average mountain. Extraordinary stories about ordinary folk.

Because of Sandman I now see the themes everywhere, even outside of Gaiman's graphic novels.. I see these themes all around me.

The ruses of the badger and fox are found out because in the end you can't hide identity. The monk did not flee from what he saw as his responsibility tending the temple... constant themes.

Fox falls in love... this has a distinct fable-like feel. It almost had an Aesop like quality and it took me back to a very influential book from my youth, which was a treasury of the Greek's work that I adored both for its linguistic beauty and moral applications.

No matter the story, there is a consistency of
all themes and characters. The working in of constants like the maiden, mother, and crone.. Matthew.. He encounters Cain and Abel in Japanese form as he wanders the Dreaming...

While existing completely on its own, it works within the larger narrative, especially with these inclusions. It was also quite stunning visually. The art matched the setting... in both function and form; colorful yet subdued. Seriously... memorable. Somehow even a frame that is mostly black as pitch, stunning.

The craft of the story is amazing. The fox and her sacrifice for love is the impetus that leads the monk down the very same path.
The words of Morpheus about revenge and its inevitable result.. his silence when Matthew asked him if he learned anything from it.. I now remember again how much I love Matthew, who is almost the constant moral compass of the King of dreams.

This was quite lovely. I believe we can now add "fabulist" to Neil Gaiman's titles.

Old 09-24-17, 10:31 PM   #840
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Re: Warty's Sandman FR - Dream Hunters

I think you picked the perfect book to indulge in binge-ing, and i'm glad you enjoyed it. It's a beautifully simple story.

When i read your writings about how you now see Sandman's themes everywhere in life, for some reason i think of an older meaning of the word "revelation"
Quote:
directly from Latin revelationem (nominative revelatio), noun of action from past participle stem of revelare "unveil, uncover, lay bare" (see reveal)
Source
and in that sense i also found Sandman to be a revelation.

I feel a desire to go back through this thread and pick up some loose ends; i think it might be a lot less work than i'd imagine, so to speak. I think it'd be better to wait for the moment, though.

Overture isn't a very long arc. 6 episodes iirc. It's a wealth nonetheless, absolutely jam-packed floor-to-ceiling and ass-end to tea-kettle. I think you'll enjoy it in a different way than you've enjoyed any of the others. I'll offer a teaser, just a sentence or two from NG's own introduction, though i'll tag so you can choose to read it now or later or never... but then again maybe you already read it.

Spoiler: nothing we haven't already been told
Quote:
We were told that he was returning from a distant galaxy, "tired beyond reckoning and tried beyond all endurance," in triumph of a sort,

Any success finding the Death books?
Quote:
Mo, I you

« MyMedia-Forum.com > Art & Literature > Literature General Discussion »