Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > Vonne Watches Television - Vikings (post 756)

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 12-16-17, 07:37 AM   #1
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Vonne Watches Television - Vikings (post 756)

THE WALKING DEAD -

Figured I'd see what all the fuss is about.

Solid first episode.

I've seen/read my fair share of apocalyptic fiction.
When the episode opened, I thought we'd break the trope by going in when the Event had already happened, but nope, then we go flashback.

Just have to see Before-Event stuff.
I liked some touches like Deputy Rick knowing his family had fled, still alive, by the pictures on the wall and empty drawers.

The people who he hung out with were supremely stupid. You find another living person, a COP no less, as in someone who has presumably some kind of training in high pressure situations and is very familiar with guns, and then you're just like, "ok, time to split up, good luck."

No. You stick the F together. Why would dude & son stay and not go with the cop? What is there to stay for? I mean yeah, I noticed their stockpile of toilet paper in the house they were staying, and that's good, but if you're going to survive in this situation you need to find as many people as you can and recreate some form of society.

As soon as I saw the woman and kid I'm like "That's prob Lori and Carl." Sure enough. And Rick's buddy Shane is there.

Jason actually sat in for most of this ep with me, and at one point I had to look over at him and say, "If the zombie apocalypse happens, and you're in the hospital comatose, we're still getting you out and taking you with us. I would definitely come to the hospital and get you out. You might die being out of the hospital, but leaving you there to be zombie-food is NOT an option."

But, why did Lori leave him there? Clearly she was banging Buddy Shane for a WHILE. And dude was all sitting in the cop car with him making jokes about women and lightbulbs (I had to seriously avoid looking at Jason during that opening monologue. I LIKE THE LIGHTS ON, OKAY? YOU CAN SEE STUFF WITH THE LIGHTS ON. Whatever.).

So chick just dipped with her affair and her kid and left Rick in the hospital to be zombie food. NICE. I hate her and she sucks and I hope zombies bite her. Because that's shitty. Regardless of how much you like your side-piece, that's the father of your child that you abandoned.

So, then they DON'T put up signs on the highway leading to Atlanta. Why? "We're trying to survive." Well you know what helps you survive? MORE PEOPLE. PUT UP SOME DAMN SIGNS SAYING WHERE YOU ARE. Zombies can't read so the only people who will find you will be actual people. You need to gather up as many people as you can, and create a society, and build a big ass zombie-proof wall, and start gardening and raising chickens, and build a pub inside, and figure it all out there.

Last edited by vonnegut; 01-11-18 at 12:07 AM.
vonnegut is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-17, 09:14 AM   #2
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Re: The Walking Dead - Vonne First-Watch

Through episode 3.

Just came back to Merle's hand laying on the roof. His brother is super-mad, and One-Hand-Merle is gonna be super mad-der.

I like how it's subtle, but they are outlining the changes in social dynamic in post-Apocalypse. Anarchy is not a great thing for females.

So, Lori is all mad at Buddy Shane "you told me he was dead" blah blah. Whatever. Still don't like her.

I like Glen.
A lot.
I think he's my favorite.

Old 12-16-17, 10:02 AM   #3
Dark Side Of The Moon
Pushes the Button

Everyone hates Lori. Everyone loves Glen. Welcome to the apocalypse.
Dark Side Of The Moon is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-17, 01:23 PM   #4
NeillT006
We Barefootin'
Sees Walt

Probably too late now, but it would have been an interesting experiment to have had you sink your teeth into Fear the Walking Dead first.

N.

Guilty Ruminant
NeillT006 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-17, 04:22 PM   #5
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

It's pronounced Glenn.

____

Vonne, have you read any of the books?

How do you know zombies can't read? Is that an assumption you'd make if shit went sideways irl? That bad guys couldn't read?

Dude & son stayed to illustrate that people often don't think rationally when shit goes sideways. That's being illustrated all over the place, but they're a particularly poignant illustration.

Also, never assume you won't see somebody again unless you've seen them die twice.

________

The first few seasons of this are pretty good, i think you'll enjoy them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-17, 04:34 PM   #6
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mo View Post
It's pronounced Glenn.

____

Vonne, have you read any of the books?

How do you know zombies can't read? Is that an assumption you'd make if shit went sideways irl? That bad guys couldn't read?

Dude & son stayed to illustrate that people often don't think rationally when shit goes sideways. That's being illustrated all over the place, but they're a particularly poignant illustration.

Also, never assume you won't see somebody again unless you've seen them die twice.

________

The first few seasons of this are pretty good, i think you'll enjoy them.
I know this was based on books (graphic novels?) but I haven't read them.
What I knew about this show walking in:
--It's about zombies and based on book series
--The guy from Love Actually is in it and is named Rick
--I've seen pictures of Norman Reedus and knew he's a character
--I've seen memes of Carl wearing a hat (usually about bad puns)
--There's some girl named Michonne that people talk about on FB
--Guy who plays John Winchester pops up late in the show as a bad guy named Negan and he has a spikey baseball bat. I saw some "half your stuff belongs to me" meme.

The last point is one of the main reasons I'm like "eh, I'll watch it." I loved the actor in Supernatural, and I want to see him being a villain. I did actually google the actor last night to see what season he comes in, and apparently it's S6.

So that's what I know right now.

And of course zombies can't read. Everyone knows zombies can't read. They're too stupid.

Dude and son were definitely not being rational. The zombies are mostly threatening in numbers, the humans can only have safety in numbers.
But, I figured all of the non-rational people had already been bitten by zombies, so, *shrug* Be smarter, dude and son.

It would be nice to know how much time has passed since Event began. The flowers were wilted on Rick's hospital side-table (THAT was a really good scene, him waking up and seeing the dead flowers, very cool), but he hadn't died of thirst yet. So it couldn't have been but so long.

Old 12-16-17, 04:44 PM   #7
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Comics originally, they're available in graphic novel format. And last i knew Kirkman was still cranking them out.

And yeah, you still don't know how long it's been. So idk how you make the assumption that all the stupid people got bit. I thought the invincible stupidity of humanity was part of our charm.

The scene of Rick waking up in the hospital is mirrored in 28 Days Later, which predated TWD comics by only months, so they must've been in production at similar times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-17, 05:04 PM   #8
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

And ok, pausing ep 4 because I'm about to cry.

They were following Merle-One-Hand, and Glenn got grabbed by the gangsters, and so they're going to get him back and Abuela comes out.

Then they go back and it's a frickin old people's home. All the staff abandoned them. Rick: "So you're doctors?" Dude: "No. Phillipe's a nurse. I'm the custodian." OMG guys. Only these two stayed to help the old people. I'm going to cry.

Old 12-16-17, 05:10 PM   #9
Dark Side Of The Moon
Pushes the Button

It's okay. It isn't real.

Yet.
Dark Side Of The Moon is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-17, 05:21 PM   #10
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

S1E4 finished.

"I remember my dream now, why I dug the holes"

So is crazy guy psychic or just predicting the inevitable.

I'm really sad that Younger-Blonde-Sister died before she got her birthday present.

One-Hand-Merle apparently has the van. The camp just got decimated. This show moves right along.
I like Dale (think is his name), the camp leader. I'm glad he survived.

« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »