Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Sports > Sports Discussion > College Football

Sports Discussion 42! 23! 16! ...wait.

Old 12-22-16, 06:06 PM   #1581
abcdxyz
Blew Up the Hatch

Re: College Football

I guess I feel that each player has to evaluate what is in his own self-interest and the interest of his family. Most of these guys are not from a well-off background, and if they can get a couple of years in the NFL at big $$$, they can help their parents and provide some financial security for their own families. Neither the universities (believe me, I worked at Ohio State for years), nor the NFL or the pro teams have any loyalty to individual players, and so the players, in my mind, should look out for themselves.
Old 12-22-16, 07:55 PM   #1582
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdxyz View Post
I guess I feel that each player has to evaluate what is in his own self-interest and the interest of his family. Most of these guys are not from a well-off background, and if they can get a couple of years in the NFL at big $$$, they can help their parents and provide some financial security for their own families. Neither the universities (believe me, I worked at Ohio State for years), nor the NFL or the pro teams have any loyalty to individual players, and so the players, in my mind, should look out for themselves.
These are my thoughts as well, Abcdxyz.

Here's something I heard the other day. Yeah, I was aware college football is nothing more than a feeder system for the NFL, but I didn't know you can't play professional football without 3-years of college.

We've all heard of Moses Malone and Lebron James coming right from high school, that can't happen in the NFL. It's even in this last CBA signed by the players and owners.
Old 12-24-16, 06:09 AM   #1583
TheBigCat
SOUNDERS...erm...SEAHAWKS FTW
Carries Big Stick

Location: Green Hell, temporarily leased out to the 12th Man.

Quote:
McCaffery is the son of a long-time stand-out NFL player. He's not some poor kid from "da hood" who need the money now to buy his mama a house.

He has an obligation to his Stanford teammates. Not the university itself but the players he's been with on the field. Blowing them off to concentrate on getting ready for the pro combine to impress some team and get drafted higher or whatever, meaningless because the scouts have 97% made up their minds on who they want by combine time that they only use it to fine tune their selection process, says to the whole world that he's not really a team guy. I hope come the first full contact scrimmage he gets a tough lesson in "team" from a player who resents his attitude...maybe lets a linebacker go unblocked..."Oops...Sorry, man. Forgot my assignment. Did that hurt? Never seen a knee bend that way."

Avatar and sig img courtesy of vincentstuntdbl#23
TheBigCat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-16, 11:39 PM   #1584
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Why can't Alabama be beaten? 24-7, against UW.
Old 01-01-17, 09:27 AM   #1585
TheBigCat
Carries Big Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
Why can't Alabama be beaten? 24-7, against UW.
They have pretty good defensive and offensive lines, apart from that, I am not impressed. Their linebackers are DBs who have spent too much time in the weight room, they are undersized but fast for LBs but thanks to the added bulk they are too slow to play the DB positions, Their DBs are not that good but they are rarely tested thanks to the upfront pressure. On offense their quarterback is a running back who can throw, a little bit, and they have exactly one really good running back, Bo Scarborough.

On both of their first half scoring drives the refs (a Big-10 crew) missed clear holding calls. It's entirely possible that those penalties, if called, would have stalled both of those drives, resulting in a 7-0 halftime lead for the Huskies. But there was really no answer to the pressure. Saban's squad is very well coached.

All in all, great year for the Huskies. Especially so considering that they were not supposed to be contenders this year. Will they be back in the BCS Play-off next year? It's going to be a rougher road. Expect a bounce-back from Oregon. They gave up on the graduate-transfer QB from the University of Montana midway through the season in favor of the true Frosh, but there are gaping holes to fill across the board. They might not be the Chip Kelly Ducks but they should be beaks and necks above this season's model. Luke Falk is going into his senior year in the Palouse, the normally pass-happy Cougs have a strong ground component to their offense...now about that defense, the less said the better. Stanford is just going to keep being Stanford so long as David Shaw is wearing the headset. Kellen Chryst comes back for his Senior season Bryce Love will be a Junior replacing Christian McCaffery who doesn't. (You could have waited until AFTER the game to declare, kid. j/s). 4 probably solid teams in the Pac-12 North. In the Pac-12 South SC is back in the Legit Game, the Buffs and Utes have finally showed up as real members of the conference and maybe one of the other three can salvage something, but it's flip a coin on all of them. There could be eight teams wind up bowl eligible next year but seven is probable. Stand by. It will be a fun season.

Old 01-01-17, 10:55 PM   #1586
abcdxyz
Blew Up the Hatch

Quote:
I can't imagine that Washington is going to beat Alabama--I don't think anyone can beat Alabama, actually.

As a Buckeye, I have to root for Ohio State over Clemson, and I think the Bucks will win, but I just hope the championship game against Alabama isn't too much of a bloodbath.
Well--evidently I shouldn't put money on any sporting events! The bloodbath came 9 days early for the Buckeyes!
Old 01-03-17, 07:21 PM   #1587
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Well--evidently I shouldn't put money on any sporting events! The bloodbath came 9 days early for the Buckeyes!
Jesus H Christ!

Abcdxyz, that was hard to even watch. 31-0! The Buckeyes are a much better team.

That USC vs. Penn St. game was the one to watch. I don't think I've ever witnessed a game with over a 100pts. scored between the teams. It also went down to the wire.
Old 01-10-17, 08:09 PM   #1588
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
Why can't Alabama be beaten...
Unbelievable game last night. 35-31!

When the Tigers went down by two TDs, I thought the game was over. I started watching something else on the tube.

Then they started fighting back. What a 2nd-half by Clemson. They kept the Alabama Defense on the field for the majority of the half. In the 4th-quarter, they were blowing, trying to catch their breath.

Down by 3, with 2:00 minutes to play. What a drive! Their slot-receiver reminded me a lot of the 'Boys, Cole Beasley. Too small to play, but like 7-11, always open.
Old 01-10-17, 09:22 PM   #1589
TheBigCat
Carries Big Stick

I completely missed the game, recovering from some nasty crud. At least it's forced me to quit smoking, finally.

Old 01-10-17, 09:34 PM   #1590
Liz
Ridiculicious!
Hears the Whispers

Send a message via AIM to Liz Send a message via MSN to Liz Send a message via Yahoo to Liz Send a message via Skype™ to Liz

It was a great game, especially the last 5 minutes or so. Man, what a finish! Congrats to Clemson. I am very happy for them.
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Sports > Sports Discussion »