Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Community > Lostaways! :) > What's New/Happy 2018!

Lostaways! :) Welcome Lostaways! Kick back, relax, and have a little fun!

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-17, 04:40 AM   #4651
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Re: What's New/The World According to Vito

Quote:
Originally Posted by brdmom View Post
Oh, how about this - give all the kids big paper. On the paper they have to create a poster about a time period/key event you've studied this year. They should use symbols/pictures (guns, maps, chains for slavery, boxes of tea, whatever) but preferably no words or dates. Tell them to be creative and clever. Then once you are done with the review, have the other kids share their posters and the rest of the class has to try to guess what time period/event they are illustrating. If you have a text book, let them use the text book to help them.
I'm actually, literally almost in tears right now because I love you so much.

This is exactly what I needed.

Old 04-27-17, 04:46 AM   #4652
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Quote:
You are so awesome!
Could you give the kids some kind of incentive for coming in and rearranging the desks quickly? (I know - they are middle schoolers, what am I thinking?) But maybe if there was a challenge with an incentive (beat their time), they could do it.
What I could do is have my third block rearrange the desks before they leave. They are my super genius Honors class, and they can handle stuff like that. Math teacher next door will shit bricks at the sound of desks moving around, but I'm so far past caring what she thinks at this point.

She actually CALLED ADMIN ON ME on Monday because she said that my class was too loud. We were holding mock McCarthy hearings, which, yes, the students were actually talking and discussing and moving around during this. Admin came up in "is everything alright?" mode, and then ended up being impressed by what we were doing. So suck it, Math Teacher Next Door.
So over her shit. So over her snide comments. Whatev, bitch, you sit there in your room making kids do math problems in total silence, Imma be over here teaching history. You have a problem with my class? Behold, the barren field in which I grow my F---s.

Old 04-27-17, 05:27 AM   #4653
Maturin
Loyaulté me lie
Hears the Whispers

Having the admins be impressed when she tried to sabotage you is the best revenge. I don't even know what to say about people who have to resort to snide remarks at work. It's easy to say to ignore it, but hard to do (for me anyway, if it involves something that matters to me). She's doing it out of jealousy and insecurity, for whatever that's worth.

Thinking about you, catnap. We're all here for you.

--> Jopt dis pit Tudel. <--
Old 04-27-17, 01:32 PM   #4654
catnap
duckgrazeharborpain
Drinks Dharma Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
So I did Stations today.

Grouped all the desks into five clusters. Had all the kids just leave their bags/computers at the front of the room, each group just used one chromebook (and everyone had a piece of paper). [I SHOULD DO THIS EVERYDAY. OMG with not having to deal with all of their clutter and laptop distraction.]

Station 1, they analyzed four Cold War political cartoons.
Station 2, they watched a video clip about the Berlin Airlift and answered a handful of questions about it.
Station 3, they made a foldable (brochure thing) with some Cold War terms that they had to illustrate.
Station 4, they made Cold War memes. (Mostly the memes were awful, but there were a few good ones)
Station 5, they filled in a blank map of Europe and colored the Warsaw Pact and NATO.

I gave them 10 mins at each station, then they got up and moved to the next one.

Here's the kicker-- my honors kids bitched the whole time. They bitched about how I'd picked the groups and how they didn't want to work with so-and-so. If they didn't have enough time to perfectly complete each station, they bitched. They bitched that this station was too easy and this one was too hard. They acted like they had no idea what memes are (even though they live on the internet, and we did an activity just like that for Pearl Harbor).

My C-Levels in 4th block (my absolute worst class, the ones I give the Vito Death Stare to), it was the best they have ever been. EVER. They actually WORKED, and no one was misbehaving, and they were happy and I was happy. I mentioned it to one of the girls, and she's like "We should do stations every day" and I said I'm mighty tempted to, if the class is going to act like this.

Seriously considering how much of a hassle it would be to rearrange the desks every day for one class period.
That's awesome! What a fantastic idea on the groups. Too funny that the normally rowdy group was the one that responded best.

Quote:
You are so awesome!
Could you give the kids some kind of incentive for coming in and rearranging the desks quickly? (I know - they are middle schoolers, what am I thinking?) But maybe if there was a challenge with an incentive (beat their time), they could do it.

You should use this station idea on Friday, but slightly modify it. One: the groups are bigger - seven are with you to start (shockingly the kids who failed the quiz), two: the groups don't move until you say so (again, not until the kids get the material), Three: if the other groups can't work quietly on a "fun" activity, then they can do independent reading and answering questions, and yes, the questions will be graded.
So, for fun activity -
I like the poster idea.
Do you have any students who might enjoy writing a synopsis for a cold war spy movie?
Are there any good short stories they could read?

And as I write this, I remember that the class that needs this activity is the loud one. Maybe the grouping isn't such good idea.

Here's an idea that might work individually - tell the kids to pick two periods of history that you've already studied and have them write a dialogue between one person from each of the two periods (real or imaginary) and the dialogue is about what's the same or different, or why each one's time period is better, or really anything imaginative. I know you said you didn't want to make them write, but maybe this would be more fun.

Oh, how about this - give all the kids big paper. On the paper they have to create a poster about a time period/key event you've studied this year. They should use symbols/pictures (guns, maps, chains for slavery, boxes of tea, whatever) but preferably no words or dates. Tell them to be creative and clever. Then once you are done with the review, have the other kids share their posters and the rest of the class has to try to guess what time period/event they are illustrating. If you have a text book, let them use the text book to help them.

It would be so fun to team teach with you! You have such awesome ideas. And good call on having them leave their bags in the front of the room. That's why being a second year teacher is so much better.
I knew brdmom would come through!

Quote:
I'm actually, literally almost in tears right now because I love you so much.

This is exactly what I needed.
The power of What's New!

Old 04-27-17, 01:42 PM   #4655
catnap
duckgrazeharborpain
Drinks Dharma Beer

Quote:
What I could do is have my third block rearrange the desks before they leave. They are my super genius Honors class, and they can handle stuff like that. Math teacher next door will shit bricks at the sound of desks moving around, but I'm so far past caring what she thinks at this point.

She actually CALLED ADMIN ON ME on Monday because she said that my class was too loud. We were holding mock McCarthy hearings, which, yes, the students were actually talking and discussing and moving around during this. Admin came up in "is everything alright?" mode, and then ended up being impressed by what we were doing. So suck it, Math Teacher Next Door.
So over her shit. So over her snide comments. Whatev, bitch, you sit there in your room making kids do math problems in total silence, Imma be over here teaching history. You have a problem with my class? Behold, the barren field in which I grow my F---s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maturin View Post
Having the admins be impressed when she tried to sabotage you is the best revenge. I don't even know what to say about people who have to resort to snide remarks at work. It's easy to say to ignore it, but hard to do (for me anyway, if it involves something that matters to me). She's doing it out of jealousy and insecurity, for whatever that's worth.

Thinking about you, catnap. We're all here for you.
Agree with Maturin.

And thank you, and thank you all for the support & thoughts. So far there's been no change. They changed the expectation last night to maybe 48 hours. I'm in a place right now where I feel like similar to what happened with my mom, that I already lost him a while ago. That said, when it actually happens, it's going to be rough, all the realizations of all the "never agains". Saying goodbye is hard. Realizing I'll never hug my dad or hear him say I love you will be brutal, but it's still sinking in and I'm sort of wandering around in a numb/confused/anxious state.

Any distractions here are MOST welcome!

Here's one for you guys.

Clearly, I'm going to have to leave for a funeral, and it's far away in MD. I have one cat (Max) I'm supposed to be watching urinate every few hours and also monitoring his eating (he HATES his new diet and won't eat), his water intake (I have yet to see him drink), and just making sure he does not re-block. Stress is a big factor in this disease, believe it or not. Cat stress. It's a thing.

Meanwhile, his brother, Jinx, does NOT recognize him and continues to stalk him, growl, hiss, swat, and generally ostracize him. That's stressful for Max, I'm sure. I'm sure it's stressful for Jinx, b/c he thinks there's a strange cat in here. And since they are brothers, I'm afraid Jinx will develop the same condition.

TBC

Old 04-27-17, 01:46 PM   #4656
brdmom
Not bird, not bored...
Carries Big Stick

Poor kitties!! Our Oscar had to eat the special food for a while, and the vet gave us the pate version which he didn't like, but there was also a "bits" version which he liked better, so you could check with your vet to see if there are variations on the food.

I'm so sorry Jinx and Max haven't reconciled. I'm sure you've tried all the strategies from that article as well as all the articles you've probably googled already. Does the vet have any ideas?

Leave the toilet seat up - that always gets our cats to drink.

This kitty stress is not what you need!
Old 04-27-17, 01:51 PM   #4657
catnap
duckgrazeharborpain
Drinks Dharma Beer

So, both cats are a bit stressed already. We will take the dog with us so he's not a factor.

If I leave the cats here together, and have someone come over daily, they'll hide when she's here. fine. But she can't monitor urine or eating of one cat when there's two. And she won't be able to tell is Max is in distress (re-blocked). Also, what if Jinx tries to kill Max?

If I hire a petsitter to stay here again, they'll flip out. That's what caused this - strange lady in the house while we disappeared for a week. Stress.

I could see if I could leave Max with our regular vet. I am seeing some signs of straining to pee so at least I'd know he was being monitored. But he'd be back in a cage in an animal hospital (stress). Lots of money. And back to square one with Jinx when I bring a strange-smelling cat home again. Not that we've made much progress.

OR I could just throw them both outside with a big bowl of food and hope for the best, which is how it should be, and I'm not sure how this got so complicated

Old 04-27-17, 02:21 PM   #4658
azteclady
Reads. Crafts. Rabble Rouses. Rants.
Hears the Whispers

oh, cat! I know exactly what you are going through. Please know we are here for you.

On Jinx/Max: could you leave them in separate rooms, with their own litter box and food/drink?

Also, I know this is for many here a refuge from everything f***ed up that's going on around us, but PLEASE, I beg you, educate yourself on the things that affect you ::coughhealthcoughtaxcough:: and make some calls. We have barely 30 hrs before we are screwed in very final ways.
Old 04-27-17, 03:33 PM   #4659
scotpgot
bottle rockets
Brainwashed in Room 23

Send a message via AIM to scotpgot Send a message via MSN to scotpgot Send a message via Yahoo to scotpgot Send a message via Skype™ to scotpgot

Sounds like you've got a pretty bad cough there, az.

You should see a doctor.
Old 04-27-17, 04:26 PM   #4660
azteclady
Reads. Crafts. Rabble Rouses. Rants.
Hears the Whispers

And I should do that before I can't afford to.

::cough::

::cough::
Closed Thread
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Community > Lostaways! :) »