Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Game of Thrones > LTV Tourney - Jaime Lannister vs. Oberyn Martell (FINAL POLL)

View Poll Results: Who is the Greatest Warrior?
Jaime Lannister, sword, plate/mail 6 50.00%
Oberyn Martell, poisoned spear, lightly armored 6 50.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-17, 05:48 PM   #11
Dark Side Of The Moon
Pushes the Button
 
Dark Side Of The Moon's Avatar
Re: LTV Tourney - Jaime Lannister vs. Oberyn Martell (FINAL POLL)

Normally, knights don't kill their opponents' squires. Normally, knights don't kill their kings.
Dark Side Of The Moon is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-17, 05:59 PM   #12
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog
 
Mr Mo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The restaurant at the end of the universe
Posts: 24,379
Re: LTV Tourney - Jaime Lannister vs. Oberyn Martell (FINAL POLL)

If ever a fictitious king deserved to be killed by his erstwhile defender...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maturin View Post
I've always appreciated your restraint, Mo
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-17, 08:16 PM   #13
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman
 
Warthawg1's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Presumed Dead
Posts: 27,708
Send a message via ICQ to Warthawg1 Send a message via AIM to Warthawg1 Send a message via MSN to Warthawg1 Send a message via Yahoo to Warthawg1
LTV Tourney - Jaime Lannister vs. Oberyn Martell (FINAL POLL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
Normally, knights don't kill their opponents' squires. Normally, knights don't kill their kings.


Except that it turns out killing his king was the most truly noble thing he could do, saving the thousands upon thousands of city inhabitants.

I'm not sure you can spin the squire killing that way.

Don't get me wrong though... ignoring known facts and interjecting false ones to fit one's chosen narrative are the building blocks on which this tournament was built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

I walk across the dreaming sands, under the pale moon...

through the dreams of countries and cities, past dreams of places long gone, and times beyond recall.

Last edited by Warthawg1; 06-03-17 at 08:18 PM.
Warthawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-17, 08:41 PM   #14
Dark Side Of The Moon
Pushes the Button
 
Dark Side Of The Moon's Avatar
Re: LTV Tourney - Jaime Lannister vs. Oberyn Martell (FINAL POLL)

Excuses excuses. It was Jaime who killed the king. No one else. Was Jaime. So either way you slice it, a knight killing his king is not normal. Jaime in general, as we have seen, is not normal. So yes, it very much applies.
Dark Side Of The Moon is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-17, 12:50 AM   #15
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog
 
Mr Mo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The restaurant at the end of the universe
Posts: 24,379
Re: LTV Tourney - Jaime Lannister vs. Oberyn Martell (FINAL POLL)

I thought we weren't supposed to be looking for normal. I thought we were looking for the greatest one-on-one fighter. That looks and sounds like a superlative, because it IS a superlative. Superlatives are, by definition, not normal.

But shit. This tournament is totally screwed anyway. I mean, we've got a one-handed man against a man whose skull was popped like a ripe grape in single combat. Our top vote-getter in the runoff poll is dead, along with everybody else who never lost in single combat. Really, as a forum, we look like a bunch of idiots.

DSOTM -

You wanna go after Jaime for besmirching his honor.

Oberyn smears poison on his blade. He keeps that a secret for a reason, you know. He keeps it a secret because in the world of ASOIAF and GOT, poison is a dishonourable weapon for a knight.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maturin View Post
I've always appreciated your restraint, Mo
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."

Last edited by Mr Mo; 06-04-17 at 12:55 AM.
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-17, 03:22 AM   #16
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman
 
Warthawg1's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Presumed Dead
Posts: 27,708
Send a message via ICQ to Warthawg1 Send a message via AIM to Warthawg1 Send a message via MSN to Warthawg1 Send a message via Yahoo to Warthawg1
Re: LTV Tourney - Jaime Lannister vs. Oberyn Martell (FINAL POLL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
Excuses excuses. It was Jaime who killed the king. No one else. Was Jaime. So either way you slice it, a knight killing his king is not normal. Jaime in general, as we have seen, is not normal. So yes, it very much applies.


There are no excuses here... until this thread I used actual evidence... facts.. things I could point to in the books or the show to back up and validate my opinions. I did not just say "well I think this is what would happen" because it's what I wanted to happen or because I liked a certain contestant more than another.

The same isn't true of many others who participated in the voting, or we wouldn't have this finale.

That's cool.. it is the interwebs after all and such is expected. For the finale though I decided to apply the internet logic and reasoning that I learned here.

It's been a fun experiment in flawed logic and subjective application of facts. Truth be told though if you could make this real you could have this tourney 10 times and have 10 different winners.

In the words of Barristan Selmy, the difference on any day could come down to a wet spot in the grass.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

I walk across the dreaming sands, under the pale moon...

through the dreams of countries and cities, past dreams of places long gone, and times beyond recall.
Warthawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-17, 05:28 AM   #17
Dark Side Of The Moon
Pushes the Button
 
Dark Side Of The Moon's Avatar
Re: LTV Tourney - Jaime Lannister vs. Oberyn Martell (FINAL POLL)

Leaning toward Jaime but still a bit torn. Hmm...

Last edited by Dark Side Of The Moon; 06-04-17 at 07:09 AM.
Dark Side Of The Moon is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-17, 06:36 AM   #18
Dark Side Of The Moon
Pushes the Button
 
Dark Side Of The Moon's Avatar
Re: LTV Tourney - Jaime Lannister vs. Oberyn Martell (FINAL POLL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthawg1 View Post
There are no excuses here... until this thread I used actual evidence... facts.. things I could point to in the books or the show to back up and validate my opinions. I did not just say "well I think this is what would happen" because it's what I wanted to happen or because I liked a certain contestant more than another.
That's exactly what it looks like you did though.

In many of my posts I quoted sourced material to back up my point of view.

Do we need to have the whole debate again? Cuz I believe you're wrong about this just as steadfastly as you believe you're right.

Furthermore, the sarcasm in most of your posts in this thread is unnecessary. Sorry you're so upset that you had to adopt that tone but I don't believe it has done anything to sway hearts and minds. It reflects poorly.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mo View Post
Poor job, my-media. Poor job.
You're an admin here, right? So when the vote doesn't go your way you essentially shame the entire community? C'mon.

Last edited by Dark Side Of The Moon; 06-04-17 at 07:10 AM.
Dark Side Of The Moon is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-17, 07:36 AM   #19
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob
 
vonnegut's Avatar
Re: LTV Tourney - Jaime Lannister vs. Oberyn Martell (FINAL POLL)

Posted on this thread:

Quote:
“No one can fault Lannister on his courage,” Glover said. “When he saw that he was lost, he rallied his retainers and fought his way up to the valley, hoping to reach Lord Robb and cut him down. And almost did.”

“He mislaid his sword in Eddard Karstark’s neck, after he took Torrhen’s hand off and split Daryn Hornwood’s skull open,” Robb said. “All the time he was shouting for me.”
Perhaps I'm just a young girl who knows nothing of the ways of war, but DAMN.

Oberyn has style. Oberyn has grace. Oberyn has sex appeal. Oberyn has skill.

But Jaime just f-ing LOVES to fight. He's built his entire life around two things: 1) screwing his sister, 2) fighting with swords.

He killed the goddamn king and no one will say boo to a goose about it, because they're all scared to piss him off, because he doesn't give a flying f- about anything and he is ready to sword fight you. All of you. All of you at once, if necessary. And if you manage to blindside and ambush him, and he's on the losing side of the battle, he will slice open someone's neck, take someone else's hand off, and split someone else's skull, while calling your name to come out and fight him.

Oberyn is a master warrior. He wouldn't be here otherwise.

But Jaime LIVES for war. He was made for it. It's everything to him. The only time his life is truly his own life, the only time his mind is truly his own mind, is when he's in the heat of battle, cutting down foes, using his sword.

The only reason that his sword hand being severed by the Bloody Mummers had any meaning, is that he defined himself by that hand. He is called Kingslayer for preventing the burning of King's Landing, but before that, he fought the Smiling Knight, he was made Kingsguard at 15 years old, war is everything to him.

And, in a match of him and Oberyn, I think he would win. Because not only does he have skill, he LOVES it. If I was on trial for my life, and I had to pick a champion-- either Oberyn or Jaime-- I'd pick Jaime.
__________________







vonnegut is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-17, 08:32 AM   #20
Dark Side Of The Moon
Pushes the Button
 
Dark Side Of The Moon's Avatar
Re: LTV Tourney - Jaime Lannister vs. Oberyn Martell (FINAL POLL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
they're all scared to piss him off, because he doesn't give a flying f- about anything and he is ready to sword fight you. All of you. All of you at once, if necessary. And if you manage to blindside and ambush him, and he's on the losing side of the battle, he will slice open someone's neck, take someone else's hand off, and split someone else's skull, while calling your name to come out and fight him.
Isn't that what caused his capture which ultimately led to the loss of his hand? Not sure this is the thing which makes him great, or maybe it is but it also makes him vulnerable. That was my point when I post that quote. It's similar to the manner in which Oberyn lost to The Mountain. When these warriors lose their cool they have issues.

Frankly, I think a battle between the two would come down to Oberyn's lack of armor, as I alluded to before. They're both going to land their strikes, but Jaime will be able to absorb them more easily giving him the longevity to win the battle. However, I could still be convinced otherwise. Oberyn knows how to fight a swordsman and he is just as fierce as Jaime.

You're a girl?
Dark Side Of The Moon is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Game of Thrones »


Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


» Latest Posts: All Discussion Forums
Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Forum
Altered Carbon: Netflix series
FrodoFraggins
Today 01:20 AM
by soup
5 Featured TV General
Everything Sucks!
vincentstuntdbl#23
Today 12:55 AM
by Zaphod of Whiskers
1 Featured TV General
What's New/Happy Valentine's Day! ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
catnap
Today 12:19 AM
by Mr Mo
636 Lostaways! :)
Liz's First Watch: The Wire ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
Liz
Today 12:17 AM
by Mr Mo
46 Featured TV General
Mr. Bill's Re-watch of Breaking Bad... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
Mr. Bill
Yesterday 11:29 PM
by Mr. Bill
90 Featured TV General
What are you reading? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
feigenbaum
Yesterday 08:32 PM
by Mr Mo
4,292 Literature General Discussion
Marvel's Jessica Jones - Netflix ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
vonnegut
Yesterday 06:29 PM
by vincentstuntdbl#23
76 Featured TV General
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency... ( 1 2)
sandi
Yesterday 02:13 PM
by FrodoFraggins
16 Featured TV General
What are your thoughts ? REAL WORLD... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
yung23
Yesterday 11:10 AM
by yung23
299 General Discussion
Rate The Last Movie You Watched ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
Scott
Yesterday 02:15 AM
by Mr Mo
3,701 Movies General Discussion
» Online Users: 242
5 members and 237 guests
Cr8tor, NeillT006, soup, vonnegut
Most users ever online was 26,316, 05-12-14 at 11:02 AM.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.0

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:22 AM.

Graphic Design by Crazy Creative
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.