Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Game of Thrones > Game of Thrones S07E06 "Beyond The Wall"

Old 08-21-17, 05:46 AM   #11
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Send a message via ICQ to Warthawg1 Send a message via AIM to Warthawg1 Send a message via MSN to Warthawg1 Send a message via Yahoo to Warthawg1
Re: Game of Thrones S07E06 "Beyond The Wall"

It was 4.. 4 chains..

Where did they get those giant chains???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I walk across the dreaming sands, under the pale moon...

through the dreams of countries and cities, past dreams of places long gone, and times beyond recall.
Warthawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-17, 05:49 AM   #12
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthawg1 View Post
Nice!

Oh and addition to just happening to have 3 giant chains weighing thousands of pounds... apparently weights now can scuba down and hook them up to a sunken dragon.

Uncle Benjen.

"Come with me"

"There's no time"

"What are you talking about? The horse is literally right here. Even with two riders, we're still faster than wights on foot."

"Boy.. don't you understand plot device? They don't know what to do with me any more than they knew what to do with Thoros.. They don't want to leave any obvious character loose ends. Now I know you may be saying to yourself, "well what about zombie Hodor?", but this is no time to question a good way to rid the show of loose secondary character ends... RIDE!! ESCAPE!!"

"OKAY!! I'll do it! I mean I just crawled out of ice-water wearing 200lbs of water saturated clothing.. I have obviously been chosen by the Lord of Script to live!.. I will see you at Dragoncon!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The "there's no time" thing will haunt me forever.

The face I made at Jason, omg.

vonnegut is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-17, 05:50 AM   #13
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

So one of my best friends recently finally got nagged into watching this. She started 2 weeks ago, and slammed all the episodes to get current by last week's ep. So, the entire show is very recent in her mind right now, because she literally just watched it.

She says tonight "it's like... it's like this season is fan-fic."

THAT IS LITERALLY WHAT IT IS NOW.

Bereft of source material, HBO is making fan fic.

Old 08-21-17, 06:45 AM   #14
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
So one of my best friends recently finally got nagged into watching this. She started 2 weeks ago, and slammed all the episodes to get current by last week's ep. So, the entire show is very recent in her mind right now, because she literally just watched it.

She says tonight "it's like... it's like this season is fan-fic."

THAT IS LITERALLY WHAT IT IS NOW.

Bereft of source material, HBO is making fan fic.
Funny you say that, I read this earlier today.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/20/1...ss-versus-grrm
FrodoFraggins is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-17, 06:48 AM   #15
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Quote:
(There’s precedent there. See: Ygritte and Jon Snow, or Robb and Taliyah, both brought to you by George R.R. Martin’s cruel mind.)
GRRM had no Taliyah, this article is trash.

Old 08-21-17, 06:49 AM   #16
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

But yeah, the essence of the article is spot-on.

And it's fun and all, and we like the dragons burning stuff, and the A-Team is great, but...

It's WRITTEN like fan fic.

The WRITING is just... not up to par.

Old 08-21-17, 06:53 AM   #17
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

I actually really liked this episode on first viewing but as time went by I was pretty annoyed by a lot of stuff. I knew nothing going in to my first viewing, I hadn't even watched previews. This was my analysis very soon after my first viewing:

==============

The Hound was the humor MVP of the episode and putting him with tormond worked out great. But I was so disappointed that he still can't get over his fear of fire. His utter terror forced Throros to jump in where clegane could have defended himself from the bear. And it cost Thoros his life. I still have hope that Clegane will overcome his fear and save someone .

I loved it so much that the things I didn't really dwell on the things that usually would nitpick aren't as big this time around. But as hours went by after watching it, certain things started to annoy me a more and more.

The biggest issues for me started once Dany arrived. The burning of the wights was spectacular, but what unfolded forces me to ignore logic.

The first issue is that none of the dragons attacked or got close to the Night King and his homeboys. If they had made a run at them would the war be over? Or would they have been able to protect themselves?

The second issue was that the closest dragon was Drogon, if the WW with the spear killed him first the escape would have been foiled completely. (I was in dread once I saw him grab the spear as I knew he was gonna target a dragon with it) This reminded me of the battle with the sons of the harpies in the arena when they were throwing spears at Drogon rather than Dany who was between them and Drogon. To me the showrunners tend to not care about setting these massive scenes up in logical fashion.

The third issue is just all the red shirts that die and the more cliche moments of the battle.

the fourth issue was the reliance on a raven to get to Dany in time and if that's even possible. I assumed Dany would come to her senses and realize the mission was foolhardy and decided to fly north to help. I did not expect them to sit on an island waiting for Dany to arrive.

But again, while watching everything I pretty much just enjoyed it for what it was.

Going into this season I expected Dany to lose at least one dragon if not all of them. The fact that they are so powerful hinted to me that George and probably the showrunners wouldn't have wanted them to all be there to make things look too easy. I was slightly hoping to see euron bring out his horn from the books, but that looks extremely unlikely. Then when they grabbed the spear I figured they would be used to take out at least one dragon, and they still might. But I've always hoped to see an Ice Dragon and was pretty sure we would at some point.

As far as the Arya/Sansa story, I'm undecided. Arya comes off looking like a loon and I wonder why Sansa sent Brienne away so soon after indicating she was the one to protect her if Arya threatened her. Pushing podrick to go with her was just the writers trying to force the story into a specific situation. all I know is that if someone has to die out of Sansa and Arya, it better be Sansa. I'd prefer it if Arya just offed Littlefinger.

Oh, I was touched by the scene with Dany and Jon on the ship.

The big question going forward is if the NK can gleam anything from the wight sent to KL, and hopefully the citadel. The second is if Cersei will try something in the finale or wait until next season to go after Dany.

EDIT: Clegane bowl is possible again! Benjen's scene was kind of odd, he had time to get back on the horse.
Old 08-21-17, 07:06 AM   #18
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

The writers really love to stretch credulity this season. I did think there was a decent chance Dany would come to her senses and take Drogon up just in case the party was in trouble (ala Han Solo in A New Hope). I sure as hell didn't expect to see her take all three dragons into a massive battle. I also thought the WW's would have a more interesting way to kill a dragon than a perfect spear throw LOL.

I didn't address the arya/sansa stuff much because it's all very odd. Either arya is an imbecile or she's setting a trap for LF. The problem with just killing LF is that the armies he brought may just bail. Assuming Arya is setting a trap, she will try to make LF finally show his hand. But will the leaders of the army he brought stick around after he's found out?

I really don't care what happens to Sansa at this point, but they've spent too much time on Arya to make her this clumsy.

Hopefully the wight will make it's way to the maesters and they get off their ass.

I don't know what to expect with Cersei at the meeting but I am curious as to how much of her army survives, could be a lot, and how Jaime reacts to the wight.

One other thing I've been hoping for is for the wall to completely come down. I just like the idea of hteir defensive plans falling apart in an instance. They didn't introduce the magic horn in the show, and everything points to the WW army being able to just walk around the wall. That's because the ice to the east of the wall has extended out each season in the opening credits.

Somehow Dany and Jon's plot armor overpowered Eurons ability to know where to be with his fleet.
Old 08-21-17, 07:13 AM   #19
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
But yeah, the essence of the article is spot-on.

And it's fun and all, and we like the dragons burning stuff, and the A-Team is great, but...

It's WRITTEN like fan fic.

The WRITING is just... not up to par.
I was actually fine with a lot of the dialogue this episode. But the plotting and editing was horrendous. It's made for idiots. There's really no excuse for the show runners, and all the writers they have at their disposal, to be putting this lazy material out.

In the end, George has to take a lot of blame as I'm sure they didn't expect to have to come up with all this material on their own. But even George has struggled to keep my interest with the last two books in the series, and he's obvious having a hard time pulling everything together.

This really puts even more pressure on George to get it right in the books so that the TV show isn't the best(only) place to go to see how it ends.
Old 08-21-17, 07:15 AM   #20
deelunn
Pushes the Button

Holely Poopsickles!!The NightsKing gotta heckuva arm on him... I think his name is S.A.M. Someone sign that kid !!
I am wondering if Sansa sent Brienne off to avoid Baylishes plan of pitting big and little ladies against each other.
and why is the wrights so afraid of water, the see thru ones sure dont worry about breathing??? why didn't they just trudge along the lake bottom and pop out by the rock....
deelunn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Game of Thrones »