Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > General Discussion > How Come Danielle Didn't Remember Jin?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-09, 02:13 AM   #631
FrodoFraggins
Sees Walt
 
FrodoFraggins's Avatar
Re: How Come Danielle Didn't Remember Jin?

She didn't recognize Jin because the writers were making stuff up as they were going in season 1.
FrodoFraggins is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-09, 02:32 AM   #632
LightSide/DarkSide
Annie's Love Puppet
Talks Backwards
 
LightSide/DarkSide's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: lying in the shadow of the statue
Posts: 4,395
Re: How Come Danielle Didn't Remember Jin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sacamano View Post
Although I can't understand why the Island would "send" Locke a "vision" to find the Beechcraft and at the same time stop him from following that "vision" by trying to disable him. That doesn't add up.
I've always felt this to be part of the conflict. The Light Side vs the Dark Side.

And it's the main reason I generally question the delivery method of the various messages and why I tend to question the messengers themselves. It'd be nice to know which side is sending which messages. Do both sides use dreams to convey messages or does either side in fact use this method? Are the dead-but-there used by both sides or only one? What about the waking visions? We have Harper, Wet Walt, Taller Ghost Walt, Ben's Mom, etc. Are they all the same type of vision? Are they all visions? Maybe some of them are really present. Regardless, which side employs these visions? One? Both? Neither? Perhaps one side uses dreams and the other side uses visions to communicate. It'd be nice to know the answer one of these days.
__________________
More:
Quote:
Originally Posted by treesong View Post
All is Annie, Annie is all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mile monster View Post
Damn you Guru, damn you to chocolate-mocha-pumpkin-cheesecake hell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dew View Post
Wah! Wah! Wah!

Parse that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yung23 View Post

piss posh. HOGWASH.

“John Adams was a farmer. Abraham Lincoln was a small town lawyer. Plato, Socrates were teachers. Jesus was a carpenter. To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best... insulting.”—Benedict Valda, Warehouse 13

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." —Arthur C. Clarke

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
LightSide/DarkSide is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-09, 04:55 AM   #633
Jackface
Talks Backwards
 
Jackface's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,118
Re: How Come Danielle Didn't Remember Jin?

After tonight's episode, do you still disagree about my timeline theory, Verite?

After all, Widmore not only remembered Locke from his youth, but Abbadon directly confirmed that Widmore sent him to Locke in the hospital back in 2000 (4 years before the wheel was turned).

I think that's the final nail in the coffin. There is only a single timeline. Time travel does not change the past, it facilitates the events we've always known as the past.

I think at this point the message from TPTB is signed, sealed, and delivered. There's only one timeline on LOST.

Last edited by Jackface; 02-26-09 at 05:11 AM.
Jackface is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-09, 05:49 AM   #634
blybug
Pushes the Button
 
blybug's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The "Real" Craphole Island - Galveston, TX
Posts: 1,060
Re: How Come Danielle Didn't Remember Jin?

Case Closed.

__________________
More:

It may well be that the reason TPTB are pounding on the Time Travel Rules so hard is not to pull the rug out from under us...
but rather to have us completely surprised when the ceiling caves in.

blybug is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-17, 08:11 PM   #635
topcat
Follows the Cable
 

Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 95
Re: How Come Danielle Didn't Remember Jin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benry View Post
So last night we see that Danielle and her crew met Jin on the island, Jin had traveled back in time, so going by the rules that everyone seems to be applying that means Danielle had always met Jin in the past.

So how come in 2004 Danielle never recognised Jin? Never said anything to him?
I want to go back and look at their first interaction. My first thought on this is, Danielle very seldom says anything. She often just stands there looking at people instead of speaking. I think this is frequently because she has seen and is aware of things which most other people will not accept, things of which they cannot conceive. I presumed that she was reticent to speak of such things.
If she had seen Jin and remembered him, she probably would just have stared at him silently before going about her business.

Does anyone know which is the episode in which Danielle first sees Jin? That is, the earliest episode in which she sees Jin.

I wanted to go back to it and see if I could detect any lingering stare at Jin, any flash of recognition on Danielle's face.
I just rewatched S5E5 where the young Danielle and her crew pulled Jin from the sea, brought him to the island, and they persuaded him to take them to the radio tower.
I was trying recall when she first saw him in the series when I came across this thread.
Anyone know which episode it was?
topcat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-17, 10:50 PM   #636
Vincent Lives
Arrives By Sub
 
Vincent Lives's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 11
Re: How Come Danielle Didn't Remember Jin?

I recently finished a full rewatch.

Although there are episodes I thought were well made in the final two seasons, generally I found them to be filled with glaring plot holes.

This topic being among them.

I do no read any of the final two season "narrative breakdowns" as being anything other than a rushed creative process that changed the direction of the main plot multiple times over the course of production.

In the attempt to keep viewership high via twists and turns, as well as maintaining emotional connection to it's successful earlier seasons, Lost eventually ate itself piece by piece.

One could be generous and claim TPTB didn't want to spoon feed the audience, therefore they purposefully left tidbits such as this ambiguous, but that isn't Kool-Aid that I want to swallow.
Vincent Lives is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-17, 02:00 PM   #637
topcat
Follows the Cable
 

Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 95
Re: How Come Danielle Didn't Remember Jin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Lives View Post
I recently finished a full rewatch.

Although there are episodes I thought were well made in the final two seasons, generally I found them to be filled with glaring plot holes.

This topic being among them.

I do no read any of the final two season "narrative breakdowns" as being anything other than a rushed creative process that changed the direction of the main plot multiple times over the course of production.

In the attempt to keep viewership high via twists and turns, as well as maintaining emotional connection to it's successful earlier seasons, Lost eventually ate itself piece by piece.

One could be generous and claim TPTB didn't want to spoon feed the audience, therefore they purposefully left tidbits such as this ambiguous, but that isn't Kool-Aid that I want to swallow.
Yeah I am with you on this 100%. But I don't want to criticize the writers too much over the inconsistencies. LOST was thrown together in a couple of months and thrown into production at a time when ABC was scrambling to find a hit. The small writing team struggled during the first season to come up with the next episode each week. They introduced elements which they were stuck with the rest of the series. There wasn't a planned out overview or scheme for the show. I think that fly by the seat of the pants mentality remained with the show throughout, to some extent.
I know many LOST fans will rush to disagree with me. Some will insist that it all makes sense through tortured logic. driven by their love of the show and loyalty to it as fans they want to believe that somehow it all makes sense. It becomes almost a religious faith. Indeed the show has religious overtones to it, which I liked. But it was a fantasy story which wasn't mapped out before it started.
It was, I think, impossible for them to tie it all together in a way which had complete continuity.
I liked the show a lot. It would have been nice it all fit together perfectly but at the end there were too many elements and plot lines introduced in the always rushed effort to keep churning out an interesting show to do that. And anyway, whenever there is a time travel plot there will be paradoxes and viewers need to understand that. You can put on blinders and ignore them in order to make the story make sense. I think most of us do that, just as we suspend disbelief in many other ways in order to be entertained while watching shows. (How many shows have you seen in which people escape harm from explosions by jumping a few feet away? The primary blast wave kills almost 100% of people within it, but they get up and shake it off with no lasting damage. lol. But we suspend our disbelief so we can follow the story.)

But with LOST and certain other fantasy shows many viewers become so involved in it's make believe world that they seem to develop a need to believe there is a way to make it all fit together seamlessly. They filter out the incongruities, insisting that if you look at it 'just this way' it makes sense.

And that is going too far I think. It is one thing to overlook some incongruities in order to follow the story. But it is something else when you must struggle to find a plausible way to do that, and then insist that is has complete continuity. I do wish the writers would have explained how they meant to have the show understood better than they did. They said there was a real crash with real survivors, that it wasn't all a dream. But they chose not to answer all the questions. I think that was smart on their part, because any answers they gave would have raised questions which they would ultimately be unable to answer without contradicting themselves other points.
It was a fantasy show, and a very good one. Let's leave it at that.
topcat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-17, 06:00 PM   #638
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog
 
Mr Mo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The restaurant at the end of the universe
Posts: 21,236
Re: How Come Danielle Didn't Remember Jin?

There are a lot of incongruities and even flat-out inanity, but i think this is a poor example. We're talking about a woman driven mad by isolation and well-justified intense paranoia for 40 years. Also there's no evidence that she had the faintest clue about time travel. There's absolutely no reason for her to believe that that was the same man who just happened not to age a whit over a 40 year period.

There are dozens if not hundreds of incongruities and plot holes in LOST. Some of them can be reasonably conjectured, many cannot. But this really isn't either, in my opinion.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maturin View Post
I've always appreciated your restraint, Mo
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-17, 01:21 PM   #639
topcat
Follows the Cable
 

Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 95
Re: How Come Danielle Didn't Remember Jin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mo View Post
There are a lot of incongruities and even flat-out inanity, but i think this is a poor example. We're talking about a woman driven mad by isolation and well-justified intense paranoia for 40 years. Also there's no evidence that she had the faintest clue about time travel. There's absolutely no reason for her to believe that that was the same man who just happened not to age a whit over a 40 year period.

There are dozens if not hundreds of incongruities and plot holes in LOST. Some of them can be reasonably conjectured, many cannot. But this really isn't either, in my opinion.
I take your point. I guess it would come down to how solid an impression Jin made on her 40 years prior and how good her memory was of that time period...Plus our minds tend to filter out possibilities which we believe are not possible, such as a man time traveling or not aging over 40 years.
So I suppose if she remembered Jin at all she might have supposed him to be a relative with an uncanny resemblance. Also you raised the point that her mental state was in question due to her isolation and paranoia.
So taken together I can see how she would not have made the connection.
topcat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-17, 09:00 PM   #640
3519273540
Blew Up the Hatch
 
3519273540's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,030
Re: How Come Danielle Didn't Remember Jin?

Sorry, 40 years? Where are you getting that? Alex was 16 in 2004, so, it's only been ~16 years when Danielle sees Jin for the "first" time in 2004.
__________________

3519273540 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > General Discussion »


Bookmarks

Tags
timenesia

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


» Latest Posts: All Discussion Forums
Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Forum
best sausage available online ( 1 2 3)
Zaphod of Whiskers
Today 07:53 PM
by Zaphod of Whiskers
27 Community Focus
What's New/The Postman Always Emails... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
catnap
Today 07:35 PM
by catnap
8,184 Lostaways! :)
Jake "Raging Bull" LaMotta has...
azteclady
Today 06:52 PM
by Mr. Bill
4 Sports News
Salvation - CBS - Wednesday ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
nsguy
Today 06:47 PM
by nsguy
41 Featured TV General
Midnight, Texas NBC Monday ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
Mr. Bill
Today 06:38 PM
by Hodgepodge
68 Featured TV General
The Orville - Fox Sunday ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
nsguy
Today 06:06 PM
by Hodgepodge
36 Featured TV General
Gotham - FOX Monday ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
azteclady
Today 06:04 PM
by Hodgepodge
526 Featured TV General
The Deuce - HBO Sunday ( 1 2)
Hodgepodge
Today 05:45 AM
by vincentstuntdbl#23
10 Featured TV General
Tin Star
vincentstuntdbl#23
Today 05:43 AM
by vincentstuntdbl#23
2 Featured TV General
Warty's Sandman FR - Endless Nights ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
Warthawg1
Today 01:22 AM
by Warthawg1
834 Literature General Discussion
American Horror Story: Cult - FX Tuesday ( 1 2)
Hodgepodge
Today 12:48 AM
by The Ricksters
19 Featured TV General
The Sinner - USA Wednesday ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
sandi
Today 12:38 AM
by The Ricksters
34 Featured TV General
» Online Users: 270
6 members and 264 guests
klh, Mr. Bill, Ness, nsguy, vonnegut, Zaphod of Whiskers
Most users ever online was 26,316, 05-12-14 at 10:02 AM.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.0

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:55 PM.

Graphic Design by Crazy Creative
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.